Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:59 PM

661 posts, read 521,503 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who is really sad that local TV markets and newscasts are suffering because of internet competition, and the global availability of all news content makes the local model obsolete? I find it kind of devastating.

Especially in a very small TV market like Erie PA, geez, I'm tired of seeing the same-old declining in quality crap that presents as local news. I wish the Erie TV market was like Pittsburgh.

It looks like we are doomed to see the end of local broadcast TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 06:48 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
I'm seeing local channels going over to insane amounts of local newscasts. It's cheap and allows them to control all the revenue from the commercials...but really! There is NOT that much going on locally to merit this many newscasts in one day. One of my local channels features the following:

Local news from 5am to 7am, followed by a hybrid of local news and the network's morning news show(cuts back and forth) until 11am, when another hour of local news airs. At 4pm they start local news again, which airs through to 6:30pm, when they go to national news for the half-hour. They do another local newscast from 11pm to 11:35pm. Depending on how you look at it, that's more than six hours of local news coverage, and a finite amount of news to report.

I never thought I would say it, but I liked it better when they just showed sitcom reruns.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Iocal news from 5am to 7am, followed by a hybrid of local news and the network's morning news show(cuts back and forth) until 11am, when another hour of local news airs. At 4pm they start local news again, which airs through to 6:30pm, when they go to national news for the half-hour. They do another local newscast from 11pm to 11:35pm. Depending on how you look at it, that's more than six hours of local news coverage, and a finite amount of news to report.
One local station has their morning news from 3:30am-10am. I don't watch the morning news, but I'm guessing they just repeat the same 5 stories + weather/traffic for 6.5 hours. And if that wasn't enough, they come back for a noon news cast, another 1.5 hrs of news at 5pm and 9pm, and another half hour at 11pm. There is not enough news to talk about for 10.5 hours each and every day.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:17 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
It is not dying, but it has a death wish.

Most content, especially on the endless morning shows is repetitive and inane.

Even during the evenings, the emphasis on the weather and crime stories is out of control. There is very little critical news thought or reporting.

Style is more important than actual stories. Perhaps that garners ratings, but it is not serving the community. And that, (perhaps some have lost this truth), is the objective of local tv stations by law.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:23 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
The first night I moved to Colorado Springs, the "BREAKING NEWS" story at the top of the news was that a barn was burning in rural El Paso County.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:51 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I watch the local news and on occasion PBS when there is a good docu or concert. Otherwise have not seen the big 3/4/5 (ABC,NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS) programming in years. Maybe two decades.

I think they could still produce a good mini-series if they wanted to. The much smaller History Channel bankrolled the Hatfield & McCoys miniseries which was very well received. TNT did the Into the West mini-series as far back as 2005 which was also excellent.

I just scanned a list of modern miniseries and see the smaller networks have done them as well.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:41 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Local stations, like radio, newspapers are mostly owned by the same huge corporations. Everything is formula, and B rolls sent to them. Really local stations died in the 80's.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Local stations, like radio, newspapers are mostly owned by the same huge corporations. Everything is formula, and B rolls sent to them. Really local stations died in the 80's.
I dont know if I agree with that. Our local stations all show local news from around the city

Old 03-03-2016, 07:32 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i have not watch network tv in close to 10 years, once all those so called reality shows started, I turn the channel

Old 03-03-2016, 07:37 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
One local station has their morning news from 3:30am-10am. I don't watch the morning news, but I'm guessing they just repeat the same 5 stories + weather/traffic for 6.5 hours. And if that wasn't enough, they come back for a noon news cast, another 1.5 hrs of news at 5pm and 9pm, and another half hour at 11pm. There is not enough news to talk about for 10.5 hours each and every day.
The early morning news on both network and local is repeated over and over. I work over night and have to switch back and forth between stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV