Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:58 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Ok, so it wouldn't occur to you.

I thought that the show was going to go in a different direction that it did. I stopped watching.

Simple.

I wasn't even born when the omen came out, but I have seen it.

Did you like the movie? I'm going to see if I can find it on demand.

Just curious what direction you thought the show was going? That actually makes more sense to me than not watching because a character is killed off. See how easy that was? Or should I say simple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 04:19 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Did you like the movie? I'm going to see if I can find it on demand.

Just curious what direction you thought the show was going? That actually makes more sense to me than not watching because a character is killed off. See how easy that was? Or should I say simple?
I actually did like the movie a lot. Next to today's movies, it may seem tame. Your local library may have a copy.

I knew that Damien was going to have to choose whether or not to embrace his dark side. I thought that the ex would be the reason for him to embrace his err... non-dark side? The moral center of the show, if you will. The 'good' in the tug between good and evil. Love vs hate. Light vs dark.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesG73 View Post
Gonna take advantage of having Good Friday off and watch it. I am conflicted since it's on A&E. I promised myself never to go near that network after their treatment of Longmire and The Glades but the horror fan in me is curious
The only time I watch A&E is for Bates Motel and now Damien. If it wasn't for Bates Motel I would have never found Damien. I never saw one preview for it. I'm a horror fan too. I'm happy there's a big selection to watch on tv now.

Enjoy your day off. I hope you like the show.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:01 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I like Damien but I have seen the entire series (I really like the second Omen with Damien, the teen) of Omen movies and now find I have to forget about every Omen movie except the first one. Damien, the teen, by the way, knew exactly who he was.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,701 times
Random fact:

The VA hospital Damien goes to in episode 5 is actually the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (well at least the exterior is). Episode 6 shows a completely different building (not HUP).

Old 04-13-2016, 08:58 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Big fan of the original 1976 Omen film; extremely well done & horrifying. This is a great example of why the '70's were probably the best decade for horror cinema.

Wasn't sure how I would like a modern Damien TV series, but I decided to give it a try. And, I really enjoyed the first two episodes - excellent storyline, and I liked how they incorporated elements from the '76 film (including flash-backs & pictures), while still including some original elements. Extremely creepy...

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes. That all being said, the timeline is completely off here:

In the 1976 film, IIRC Damien is celebrating his 5th birthday in the opening scene (so I guess the movie takes place the year before it was released, which makes sense). So, he would be 30 in 2000, and 46 in 2016. Since everyone was using I-phones in this series, the show must take place either now or sometime in the last several years - not the early 200X's. So, how can Damien be 30 here?! Suspension of disbelief, I guess..

Old 04-13-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Big fan of the original 1976 Omen film; extremely well done & horrifying. This is a great example of why the '70's were probably the best decade for horror cinema.

Wasn't sure how I would like a modern Damien TV series, but I decided to give it a try. And, I really enjoyed the first two episodes - excellent storyline, and I liked how they incorporated elements from the '76 film (including flash-backs & pictures), while still including some original elements. Extremely creepy...

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes. That all being said, the timeline is completely off here:

In the 1976 film, IIRC Damien is celebrating his 5th birthday in the opening scene (so I guess the movie takes place the year before it was released, which makes sense). So, he would be 30 in 2000, and 46 in 2016. Since everyone was using I-phones in this series, the show must take place either now or sometime in the last several years - not the early 200X's. So, how can Damien be 30 here?! Suspension of disbelief, I guess..
Yeah I mentioned that in an earlier post. I'm willing to let it go. I was 10 when the movie came out and not allowed to see it. I'm holding off watching the movie till this season is over.

Glad you are enjoying the show. The last episode left me feeling so sorry for Damien. I won't spoil it for you with details.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah I mentioned that in an earlier post. I'm willing to let it go. I was 10 when the movie came out and not allowed to see it. I'm holding off watching the movie till this season is over.

Glad you are enjoying the show. The last episode left me feeling so sorry for Damien. I won't spoil it for you with details.
Thanks - I had missed that in your first post. I would recommend watching the '76 Omen at some point; extremely creepy & well-done film, and obviously footage from that film is shown in flashbacks in this Damien series.

However, I wouldn't bother with the Omen sequels or the 2006 re-make of the film; all of these pale in comparison to the original version.

I hope to catch up with the remaining episodes in the series within the next week or two - I'll post more then.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Thanks - I had missed that in your first post. I would recommend watching the '76 Omen at some point; extremely creepy & well-done film, and obviously footage from that film is shown in flashbacks in this Damien series.

However, I wouldn't bother with the Omen sequels or the 2006 re-make of the film; all of these pale in comparison to the original version.

I hope to catch up with the remaining episodes in the series within the next week or two - I'll post more then.
Thanks for the tip! I'm waiting till this season is over and then I'll watch the 1976 Omen. I was old enough to remember seeing previews and hearing people talk about it. I wanted to go see it so bad but my parents wouldn't let me go. Same with The Exorcist. I still haven't seen that.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I'm waiting till this season is over and then I'll watch the 1976 Omen. I was old enough to remember seeing previews and hearing people talk about it. I wanted to go see it so bad but my parents wouldn't let me go. Same with The Exorcist. I still haven't seen that.
I was a little kid in 1976 so was too young to see the film then, too

I saw The Exorcist for the very first time when it was re-released to theaters (director's cut) in Fall 2000. Even seeing it as an adult, it truly scared the living crap out of me. That film was extremely disturbing, even though there was very little blood/gore.

I definitely think horror films from the '70's were far superior to ones that came later; they have much more of a creepy atmosphere/vibe than more recent horror films. These days, most horror flicks are extremely violent - but not necessarily scary.

Not to get too OT, but in addition to The Omen & The Exorcist, here are some of my other favorite '70's horror films - this list is not at all comprehensive:

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

The Sentinel

Don't Look Now

Burnt Offerings

The Tenant

The Brood

The Wicker Man

Carrie

Alien - sci-fi, but also definitely horror

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - this was the 1978 re-make, and IMHO is far superior to the original film.

Halloween (1978) - the original
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV