Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 01:19 AM

23 posts, read 17,291 times

Advertisements

TNG had ratings as high as 11 million. What happened? Did people lose interest in space travel? Did a wave of anti intellectualism hit TV viewers? Or are not enough young people into spaceship stuff? Do people now enjoy more gritty stuff like Game of Thrones? George R.R. Martin's assistant writes a series of gritty sci fi novels called The Expanse that includes awesome space combat and shadowy government and corporate cabals. I enjoyed Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War and I think it would be an awesome TV series.

If there is anything the TV landscape is missing it is a cool spaceship and awesome spaceship crew!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 03:25 AM

184 posts, read 135,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFan909 View Post
TNG had ratings as high as 11 million.
The money for that show was pretty high....

Old 03-23-2016, 03:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I like Dark Matter.

Love scifi space stuff. Mostly just read it now with the dearth of good shows.

Watching Expanse but only semi-into it.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:21 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
TNG had ratings as high as 11 million. What happened?
HBO series. Showtime series. Cinemax series. Starz series. Netflix series. Amazon series. Hulu series. DirectTV series. FX series. USA series. Syfy series. TNT series. A&E series. AMC series. Lifetime series. Epix, Freeform, Hallmark, Sundance, E, BBC America, Chiller, OWN, WGN, BET, Bravo, Crackle, Spike, Esquire, History, ION, MTV - all presenting first-run, original dramas, many of which include a speculative aspect (even MTV). I haven't done the count, but I suspect there have been more hours of genre television broadcast over the last five years than in the entirety of television history prior to that. With more choices, eventually there are fewer viewers for each choice.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:12 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
TNG had ratings as high as 11 million. What happened?
I didn't leave Star Trek. Star Trek left me.

I loved TNG. Watched every episode multiple times. I still enjoy watching it. DS9 was okay. Very hit and miss, but when it hit, it was fantastic. I never could get in to Voyager at all. I think I'm the one person who loved Enterprise.

But the new movies pretty much ruined Star Trek for me. Too MTV. Not enough brain.

I have high hopes for the new TV show in development. Great talent attached to it. So here's hopin....

But to your larger point ...

Yes, I would love a more adult, more intelligent SF show on TV. Maybe on HBO or FX or AMC. Something that isn't just about the tech and aliens but about characters and big ideas. I'm hoping the upcoming Westworld might be great, but it sure seems like it's having a lot of trouble so far.

The Minority Report TV show was a big disappointment.

The Expanse is good but hardly must-see TV.

Even the new X-Files was a big disappointment.

Tell you what. Give Vince Gilligan a gilligion dollars to develop a great science fiction show, and I'm in.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:31 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
It premiered in 1966. Those fans who did all the conventions which finally relaunched the franchise with the Motion Picture in 1979 are dying off. The survivors were slapped in the face with the reboot which destroyed their history and canon

Old 03-23-2016, 07:16 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
HBO series. Showtime series. Cinemax series. Starz series. Netflix series. Amazon series. Hulu series. DirectTV series. FX series. USA series. Syfy series. TNT series. A&E series. AMC series. Lifetime series. Epix, Freeform, Hallmark, Sundance, E, BBC America, Chiller, OWN, WGN, BET, Bravo, Crackle, Spike, Esquire, History, ION, MTV - all presenting first-run, original dramas, many of which include a speculative aspect (even MTV). I haven't done the count, but I suspect there have been more hours of genre television broadcast over the last five years than in the entirety of television history prior to that. With more choices, eventually there are fewer viewers for each choice.
This really needs to be stickied. Too many people equate the fate of their favorite show to "all tv today"

Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Still a fan here. My best friend worked on the various Star Trek shows, and I even got to sit on the captains chair on the Enterprise deck before they struck the set. Have several autographed cast photos.

I like the reboot movies, brings new life to the franchise and I'm looking forward to the next movie this summer.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:29 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
The original Star Trek was good and before its time. Did you know that William Shatner turned 85 on the 22nd!
The Next Generation was excellent but I think the other Trek shows after that fell flat and I didn't watch them.

In another universe Babylon 5 was really good but short lived.

The latest Trek movies were a bit silly and over the top featuring lots of explosions and people running and jumping.
Any good show needs a strong cast the we can relate to. The show is about the characters and how they interact together in any setting be it in space or surrounded by zombies.

It is odd how Star Wars has been HUGE with 7 movies since 1978 but Star Trek with a bunch of movies and TV shows since 1966 has never really exploded. It could be that Star Trek has been more cerebral and the kids didn't get it.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In another universe Babylon 5 was really good but short lived.
Five years is respectable, and if it were filmed instead of taped at standard definition resolution it would have had more legs. The best, most cohesive story in space ever broadcast will likely be not even a footnote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV