Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:05 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I think Kolchak is highly revered by fans of the genre. Every X-Files fan knows it wouldn't exist without Kolchak.
Not to mention Fringe, Sleepy Hollow... pretty much every supernatural crime show that followed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:11 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
and do you want to see Johnny Depp remake the series into a movie?
Not if Tim Burton's involved. Look at what he did to Dark Shadows.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:29 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
.............My question is twofold. Do you think the series should be better remembered as the start of a true genre, and do you want to see Johnny Depp remake the series into a movie?
(digs into her movie/TV show memory)

We-ll, an investigative unit covering the supernatural? That's UNIT in Doctor Who and that predates Kolchak by 4 (introduction) to 2 (firmly in place) years.

As to the second question, NO. What they might do is make a Kolchak movie such as what "The Night Stalker" or "The Night Strangler" was, but make the series into a movie? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Finally, if you ever watch the original series, be sure to watch the original versions. I was around when Sci Fi channel showed it on Friday evenings and I was wondering why I wasn't enjoying it like I did in the 70's. The main reason was, as I came to find out when I got of hold the original episodes, that in editing out what was seen as extra, they edited out all the tension building segments.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:26 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The main reason was, as I came to find out when I got of hold the original episodes, that in editing out what was seen as extra, they edited out all the tension building segments.
When I was in high school everyone read the "Grapes of Wrath". I am not sure if that is on the curriculum anymore. But the book would alternate between chapters of poetic interpretations of the life and times and chapters that were plot based. I think most high school kids would skip the poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfbGJrAVWUo
But movie and TV can be worse. Classic tension building scenes are routinely cut out (like the Pool scene in Cat people) because there is no advancement of plot.

Alfred Hitchcock was always asked about the boring scenes in his movies, like Cary Grant smoking cigarettes as he is stood up for his meeting. This scene preceeds the one where he is running through the field being chased by a crop-dusting airplane. Without the buildup and the investment by the audience in the anger and frustration, they would notice that a crop-duster itself is a ridiculous method of assassination.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:41 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Repeats of this short-lived (one season ) but classic and influential 1970s scifi horror series have begun airing Sunday's at 10 pm on MeTV.

It's pretty good, but I think it scared me more when I was a little kid!

Old 01-17-2017, 08:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Repeats of this short-lived (one season ) but classic and influential 1970s scifi horror series have begun airing Sunday's at 10 pm on MeTV.

It's pretty good, but I think it scared me more when I was a little kid!
I watched the entire series again recently on Netflix. Yeah, it certainly is different watching as an adult.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:33 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
The pilot movie was the best, Barry Atwater made a mean vampire.
You forgot the original supernatural anthology series, " One Step Beyond " that had the creepiest music.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:11 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
(digs into her movie/TV show memory)

We-ll, an investigative unit covering the supernatural? That's UNIT in Doctor Who and that predates Kolchak by 4 (introduction) to 2 (firmly in place) years.

As to the second question, NO. What they might do is make a Kolchak movie such as what "The Night Stalker" or "The Night Strangler" was, but make the series into a movie? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Finally, if you ever watch the original series, be sure to watch the original versions. I was around when Sci Fi channel showed it on Friday evenings and I was wondering why I wasn't enjoying it like I did in the 70's. The main reason was, as I came to find out when I got of hold the original episodes, that in editing out what was seen as extra, they edited out all the tension building segments.

Any program slated to fit into a 30 or 60 minute time slot back in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, will be grossly edited to fit into the same time slot today. When the shows were originally shown on TV, it would be 25 - 27 minutes of program and 3-5 minutes of commercials. Today we can expect at least 10 -12 minutes of commercials in a 30 minute time slot, which means 5 - 8 minutes of the show has to be cut out.

It is sad. It's like trimming down the original Mona Lisa to fit into a smaller frame.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:05 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I loved this series as a kid with Darren mcgavin god rest his soul . I don't want to see johnny depp remake anything .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV