Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 PM

86 posts, read 56,251 times

Advertisements

CBS All Access has been around for a little while( I even found a thread about it from 2014: CBS All access ), therefore, I am assuming that this service must be doing pretty good for CBS. I even found an article that says that CBS Predicts 8 Million Subscribers for CBS All Access...by 2020:

variety.com/2016/tv/news/cbs-all-access-showtime-8-million-subscribers-1201730792/

Also, because of CBS' streaming service, CBS does not make most of their current programming available to streaming services such as Hulu and Netflix, and therefore, for people like myself who don't have cable service and DVRs, and who don't want to bother with expensive devices/services such as TIVO, and who rely on watching current television shows through services such as Hulu, they either have to watch CBS television shows live, or get their old VCRs out or other recording devices that they might have and record the CBS shows that they want to watch.

But what I am wondering about is if more and more people start to give in to paying for the CBS All Access service, if this may start a trend with the other networks who do have streaming contracts with the streaming services. Could this actually start a trend where eventually all five over-the-air networks will follow CBS' lead and not renew their contracts with the streaming services and start their own streaming services costing $5.99 or more? And if so, then people will either have to start to keep up with watching all OTA tv shows live... or pay $30.00 or more to watch them through the five networks' possible streaming services.

Also, this season, Hulu lost NBC's "The Blacklist" where I now either have to watch it aired live on Thursday night or record it on my old standard definition recording device, which, by the way, I am not too happy about. But the point is that the television networks are unpredictable when it comes airing their shows on the various streaming services, and therefore, one never really knows what the future landscape of streaming television will be.

And one more thing...

One thing that I am saying with all of this is that it would be nice if CBS All Access would just go away and that CBS included their programming with the current streaming services.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 08:23 PM

37,614 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I pay only for Netflix, and my internet service of course. Anything I can't see OTA, or online, or on Netflix, I don't watch, and I don't care about.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:17 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Is there a reason you don't use an antenna? I get superb HD reception with an antenna. You can hook it up directly to a TV, or go thru a DVR and record it. I have my antenna hooked up to a TiVo, so I can time-shift any OTA recording.

Disclaimer: I also have Comcast cable and DirecTV, so I can get cable & premium channels. But my over-the-air antenna still works great for the major broadcast networks.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:39 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I refuse to pay a subscription that is limited to one network. Luckily, there is only one CBS show that I watch (Hawaii Five-0). When I can't watch it live, I'm able to record it on a spare laptop that I have hooked up to my antenna. I don't really care if it's HD or not.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:04 PM

72 posts, read 69,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omicron-theta-4 View Post
But what I am wondering about is if more and more people start to give in to paying for the CBS All Access service, if this may start a trend with the other networks who do have streaming contracts with the streaming services. Could this actually start a trend where eventually all five over-the-air networks will follow CBS' lead and not renew their contracts with the streaming services and start their own streaming services costing $5.99 or more? And if so, then people will either have to start to keep up with watching all OTA tv shows live... or pay $30.00 or more to watch them through the five networks' possible streaming services.
Yes, it has already started a trend for other networks to follow suit. It's all about the money & each station getting their share of the pie. It's already so complicated now, that it's hard to know the best way to go. I have Netflix & cable but I'm watching mostly Netflix. Television programming has "gone to the dogs." Not much left to watch anymore. If not for my hubby & his sports, I would get rid of cable tomorrow.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I pay only for Netflix, and my internet service of course. Anything I can't see OTA, or online, or on Netflix, I don't watch, and I don't care about.
I hear you, ChessieMom. And thank you for your response.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Is there a reason you don't use an antenna? I get superb HD reception with an antenna. You can hook it up directly to a TV, or go thru a DVR and record it. I have my antenna hooked up to a TiVo, so I can time-shift any OTA recording.

Disclaimer: I also have Comcast cable and DirecTV, so I can get cable & premium channels. But my over-the-air antenna still works great for the major broadcast networks.
Yes, I do use an OTA antenna and that's how I generally watch my live-aired television shows. However, I also subscribe to Hulu so that I can have the convenience of watching shows when I want to. Plus, this allows me to watch shows that overlap that I cannot record at the same time with the one-tuner recorder that I have.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly101 View Post
Yes, it has already started a trend for other networks to follow suit. It's all about the money & each station getting their share of the pie. It's already so complicated now, that it's hard to know the best way to go. I have Netflix & cable but I'm watching mostly Netflix. Television programming has "gone to the dogs." Not much left to watch anymore. If not for my hubby & his sports, I would get rid of cable tomorrow.
I hear you, Holly. Also, thank you and all the other posters for your responses.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I dont think it will start a trend. People seem to be caught up in a "cordcutter vs traditional" battle but in reality there is a customer for each type of product.

We watch entirely too much tv to go a la carte. For others that one or two channels may be enough. There is definitely room for both.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:29 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
i just but the season dvd's on black friday. i hardly ever watch tv anymore. just 5-7 shows. i don't need netflix, hulu etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV