Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:04 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,328 times

Advertisements

TAR taught my kids World Geography over the years. We have a huge wall map of the world on the wall in the family room, and each season, the kids would put push pins in the countries the show would go to. They'd connect the push pins with yarn to show a "route". They'd get interested in the countries from the culture they'd show, and the kids would look up the countries online and read all about them. For us, it was a really great learning experience besides a fun show. Kids are all empty nested now, but I still do the route/push pins on the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,764 times
That's very cool!

Too bad the network seems down on the show. It is one of the better shows out there.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:32 AM

126,262 posts, read 19,028,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
TAR taught my kids World Geography over the years. We have a huge wall map of the world on the wall in the family room, and each season, the kids would put push pins in the countries the show would go to. They'd connect the push pins with yarn to show a "route". They'd get interested in the countries from the culture they'd show, and the kids would look up the countries online and read all about them. For us, it was a really great learning experience besides a fun show. Kids are all empty nested now, but I still do the route/push pins on the map.
What a fun way to teach kids geography

Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I don't see why more people don't watch this show. To me, it is the best of the bunch.
Where else can you see the world, learn about different cultures and enjoy all the back stabbing and bickering that other show's are known for. & it's a RAAACE !!

TAR is the one of my favorites, just my humble opinion...
That's always been my take. I've watched all 28 seasons. Never get tired of it.

As bad as the "themed" seasons are, they're probably not any worse than some of the screamers or debbie downer racers from seasons 2-6.

(Trying to remember the names of some of them...Jonathan from season 6? & a petite brunette girl who whined all around the world - from season 2? & who was that best team to never win from season 5 with that crazy intense boyfriend?)

TAR is my guilty pleasure.

(& I love the Geography with the kids idea too !)

Old 08-24-2016, 02:56 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,452,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
As bad as the "themed" seasons are, they're probably not any worse than some of the screamers or debbie downer racers from seasons 2-6.
Or...in case you had succeeded in forgetting it...

"TWIIINNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIEEEEEHHHHHHHH"

Old 08-24-2016, 05:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
That's always been my take. I've watched all 28 seasons. Never get tired of it.

(Trying to remember the names of some of them...Jonathan from season 6? & a petite brunette girl who whined all around the world - from season 2? & who was that best team to never win from season 5 with that crazy intense boyfriend?)

TAR is my guilty pleasure.

(& I love the Geography with the kids idea too !)
I remember the family episodes with that one Italian family who did nothing but scream at each other. I was peeing in my pants watching them each week.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:56 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Or...in case you had succeeded in forgetting it...

"TWIIINNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIEEEEEHHHHHHHH"
Must have?

(twins?)

Old 08-26-2016, 12:11 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,048 times
Some of you may have seen the link to this on Phil Keoghan's Twitter page. It's a radio interview. He was on somewhere around the 70 minute mark. Listened to it a couple days ago. Just scroll down after you click on the link. Easy to spot.

Kevin & Bean Podcast

Off the top of my head things of note were that he didn't know when the air date would be, and the crew (including him) were cursing a couple teams on the first leg because they got lost, came in very late, and the crew missed their flight.

The radio host joked that Phil must get taken care of pretty well being the host staying at 5-star hotels, etc. Phil said they weren't even in a hotel the first however many days, think he said three or five. They went from place to place pretty fast and roughed it.

Was a little surprised when he talked about the clue boxes and pit stops being set up sometimes just minutes before the teams arrive. Makes sense I guess since even the crew has to be rushing around to get things set up. Thought they'd have a little more time than that, however.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:55 PM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I remember the family episodes with that one Italian family who did nothing but scream at each other. I was peeing in my pants watching them each week.
I DO remember that...wow, that's been awhile. I really enjoyed the family one even though many folks didn't seem to. Do you remember when that cart almost ran over that one family? The details escape me but I remember they always seemed to be a bit clumsy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Some of you may have seen the link to this on Phil Keoghan's Twitter page. It's a radio interview. He was on somewhere around the 70 minute mark. Listened to it a couple days ago. Just scroll down after you click on the link. Easy to spot.

Kevin & Bean Podcast

Off the top of my head things of note were that he didn't know when the air date would be, and the crew (including him) were cursing a couple teams on the first leg because they got lost, came in very late, and the crew missed their flight.

The radio host joked that Phil must get taken care of pretty well being the host staying at 5-star hotels, etc. Phil said they weren't even in a hotel the first however many days, think he said three or five. They went from place to place pretty fast and roughed it.

Was a little surprised when he talked about the clue boxes and pit stops being set up sometimes just minutes before the teams arrive. Makes sense I guess since even the crew has to be rushing around to get things set up. Thought they'd have a little more time than that, however.
I always wondered about the production side of this show - it must be crazy! The fast pace, the logistics, the accountability to the environment, the people of that city and the people they're responsible for... that all by itself is an amazing race. I do love this show...I would love to have one or two episodes where they show the behind-the-scenes (bloopers even).

OK, one of my most favorite scenes (because it's all I can remember right now! ) is when the one young woman was trying to pitch (sling shot) those watermelons at a target and one of the melons jumped back and hit her in the face. They replayed that moment, both regular AND slow-mo, and I couldn't stop laughing. Poor girl got melonned!

Old 08-26-2016, 02:49 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I DO remember that...wow, that's been awhile. I really enjoyed the family one even though many folks didn't seem to. Do you remember when that cart almost ran over that one family? The details escape me but I remember they always seemed to be a bit clumsy...

I always wondered about the production side of this show - it must be crazy! The fast pace, the logistics, the accountability to the environment, the people of that city and the people they're responsible for... that all by itself is an amazing race. I do love this show...I would love to have one or two episodes where they show the behind-the-scenes (bloopers even).

OK, one of my most favorite scenes (because it's all I can remember right now! ) is when the one young woman was trying to pitch (sling shot) those watermelons at a target and one of the melons jumped back and hit her in the face. They replayed that moment, both regular AND slow-mo, and I couldn't stop laughing. Poor girl got melonned!
Ironically, I'm watching that season right now, season 17, on Hulu. While many fans of the show have watched it year to year when it first aired, I've watched them back to back on Hulu since I didn't see them originally. Pretty neat to do it this way. Glad now I didn't like the show at the time season one was first airing, Had watched parts of some of the episodes of season one then drifted away from it. Feels like a bonanza now as I watch them. Great entertainment.

Just hope they never allow Boston Rob back on. I don't care for the underhanded shenanigans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV