Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 11:58 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
its sad, and rather pointless given the circumstance....this is what this drug crisis is causing...people with real problems now cannot get meds...sad....
Toby could get his meds... He just needs to follow the proper procedure. Begging the pharmacist to give you pills because you threw yours away is not the correct way to go about it. Going off the pills cold turkey and then taking them again can be very dangerous. He needs to be under the care of a doctor so things dont get even worse for Toby.

I don't lnow how long it's been simce Toby dumped his pills. Maybe it's been long enough that he could have called in a refill to have the prescription fillled. But to go into the pharmacy while having a nervous breakdown, the pharmacist did the right thing by not giving in to his demands.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:18 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Toby could get his meds... He just needs to follow the proper procedure. Begging the pharmacist to give you pills because you threw yours away is not the correct way to go about it.
Someone with a mental illness who is off his meds is not considering "the correct way." He's irrational. It doesn't make it right, but it explains why he behaved the way he did. He's not in control of himself.

The way they wrote it is very realistic. If he did everything "the correct way", it wouldn't be an honest representation of mental illness.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
He wouldn't be able to just get a refill. He flushed his down the toilet. You can't get a 30 or 60 or 90 day refill until close to the 30, 60, or 90 day date.

Also he said on the phone 'I know I have missed a couple of sessions' so he probably was out of refills.

Anyway, Kate knows now, right? That was in the present that he was in bed and she took the call from the doc and told him he'd be going in tomorrow?

Old 10-25-2018, 02:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Someone with a mental illness who is off his meds is not considering "the correct way." He's irrational. It doesn't make it right, but it explains why he behaved the way he did. He's not in control of himself.

The way they wrote it is very realistic. If he did everything "the correct way", it wouldn't be an honest representation of mental illness.
He's old enough, and has been on the meds long enough, that he knows how the system works. I found the scene to be very unrealistic, and did not understand the point of it. It did nothing for Toby's character development nor the plot. The scene would have made more sense if it was the receptionist at a doctor's office or some sort of clinic.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
He's old enough, and has been on the meds long enough, that he knows how the system works. I found the scene to be very unrealistic, and did not understand the point of it. It did nothing for Toby's character development nor the plot. The scene would have made more sense if it was the receptionist at a doctor's office or some sort of clinic.
As I mentioned before, I contact the pharmacy for refills. If there are no more refills on my accout, the pharmacist calls the doctors office to get approval for more refills. If there's some reason that the doctor wants to evaluate how I'm doing with my prescription before allowing refills, THEN I go to the doctor's office. But that doesn't happen often. So going to the pharmacy made complete sense to me.

It also makes sense that he would think he could handle going off his meds temporarily for the sake of something as important as trying to concieve a child, and underestimating how bad it would get and how quickly. It's not an exact science. The point of the scene was to show that it had gotten worse than he expected it to, and he was reaching desperation.

Completely realistic, IMO.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:31 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,249,462 times
I have a personal policy that if I find myself nitpicking plots or details on TV shows too much it's time for me to stop watching.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:20 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I have a personal policy that if I find myself nitpicking plots or details on TV shows too much it's time for me to stop watching.
True, after all it's fiction not a documentary

Old 10-25-2018, 07:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
As I mentioned before, I contact the pharmacy for refills. If there are no more refills on my accout, the pharmacist calls the doctors office to get approval for more refills. If there's some reason that the doctor wants to evaluate how I'm doing with my prescription before allowing refills, THEN I go to the doctor's office. But that doesn't happen often. So going to the pharmacy made complete sense to me.

It also makes sense that he would think he could handle going off his meds temporarily for the sake of something as important as trying to concieve a child, and underestimating how bad it would get and how quickly. It's not an exact science. The point of the scene was to show that it had gotten worse than he expected it to, and he was reaching desperation.

Completely realistic, IMO.
He was fully aware he couldn't get refills that way, as evidenced by the way he went about asking. Like 'I know you are not supposed to do this, but I did this stupid thing and canya help a brother out here?'. Sorry, no, that is stupid.

He didn't go in asking if there were refills left, he went in knowing there were not. Kevin knows he has to beg docs for scripts. Toby does too, that was just dumb.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
He was fully aware he couldn't get refills that way, as evidenced by the way he went about asking. Like 'I know you are not supposed to do this, but I did this stupid thing and canya help a brother out here?'. Sorry, no, that is stupid.

He didn't go in asking if there were refills left, he went in knowing there were not. Kevin knows he has to beg docs for scripts. Toby does too, that was just dumb.
Yes, he knew there were no refills left, and he was desperately begging them to go ahead and refill.

Again ... we was not thinking rationally. That is the nature of uncontrolled mental illness.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:33 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
I’m having a hard time being happy for those two mental misfits and their quest for a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV