Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 12:11 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
That's it! I couldn't put my finger on it, but I think you just jut nailed it. Jack's entire identity is wrapped up in his role as a husband and father. It's as if there is no other dimension to him. Therefore he needs his "supporting cast" in order for him to fulfill his role as this great husband/dad that everyone here (and everywhere else) just raves about. But as you so aptly pointed out, that only works when they "follow their script." It's interesting. In the Director's interview that Craig11152 posted, it says:

Note: There isn't really any spoiler information contained here, but he does give some insight into the thinking behind the character that some may not choose to see, so they can form their own perspective.

Spoiler
We’re going to see some things coming up. In the character that Milo created, the thing that we really tried to depict is that flawlessness, that Super Dad, is also in some ways a veneer that covers a person who has some real insecurities, some real damage. We’ve seen that as a child he was the son of an alcoholic, and we’ve seen that every once in a while, we’d get glimpses of his anger. And then Rebecca represents, in his mind, a kind of salvation for him. He is deeply in love with her, and she makes him reach for his best self. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that all those issues and all those demons don’t exist anymore. To the world, many people think, “Oh, this is a perfect Dad. It’s a superhero.” One of the things that we’re going to see is it’s not the same thing as being married to him and being really intimate with him, which Rebecca is. And there’s certain limitations he has that run directly contrary to some of the things that she needs in life, and that once she begins to express those things — and once she begins to demand some of those things for herself — he’s not as capable of keeping those demons at bay.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Loved the spoiler, makes great sense.....
a lot of awareness here

Old 02-16-2017, 12:26 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
We all have good and bad in us, each and every one of us, depending on our upbringing, DNA, etc....
some more then others, some not enough...we are in fact products of our parents, so....

Old 02-16-2017, 12:29 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Wow! Do you take every comment personally? I presented it that way because some people may see it as "inside information" and prefer just to enjoy the show as it is presented, and make their own judgements.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:46 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Bottom line....it is just TV. So I will chill.
good point

I think one thing that helps makes the show successful/popular is how many of us see these characters in different lights depending on our own life experiences.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Really??? He did the right thing, he put family first. He finally was there for Randall.
Kevin literally spent the entire episode verbalizing how he was going to bomb the performance. Then seconds before he actually has to go on, he has to go to his brother? A bit too convenient. He didn't even tell his cast mates so they could grab the understudy. That would have taken all of 5 minutes. Every noble gesture isn't truly noble.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:31 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Wow! Do you take every comment personally? I presented it that way because some people may see it as "inside information" and prefer just to enjoy the show as it is presented, and make their own judgements.
I think there's some misunderstanding about the phrase "that some may not choose to see". I believe you meant that some may not choose to read the information you were presenting. I also believe that the other poster's eye roll was because she read it as implying that some people choose not to see Jack's faults.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 02-16-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Kevin literally spent the entire episode verbalizing how he was going to bomb the performance. Then seconds before he actually has to go on, he has to go to his brother? A bit too convenient. He didn't even tell his cast mates so they could grab the understudy. That would have taken all of 5 minutes. Every noble gesture isn't truly noble.
That's a good point. It would have had more impact if he'd been primed and ready, and then chose family over his big moment. Of course that would have taken away his reason for getting advice from Miguel. We're probably all getting hung up on the limitations of a 60 minute show. The fact that we're still talks by about it demonstrates how good a show it is.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think there's some misunderstanding about the phrase "that some may not choose to see". I believe you meant that some may not choose to read the information you were presenting. I also believe that the other poster's eye roll was because she read it as implying that some people choose not to see Jack's faults.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]
You're probably right. It may have been a simple misunderstanding. It's just that when the same person Takes similar previous comments personally too it makes you wonder. It really is okay for us to have different perceptions of the characters/events. smh

Thanks for your comments though.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I don't think she knows about his situation at work. I think it was fairly typical of him to attend his daughters' event with no problem. I don't think he's told her anything about what's been going on, so she isn't aware that anything has changed.
He tried to tell her and she wouldn't listen, which doesn't make sense when she's been 'on watch' for him doing too much. He tried to disagree with her and she firmly repeated 'I call marriage'. IOW, end of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV