Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 11:19 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
good question. I had my money on a drunk driving thing in the season final. So now I have no clue.
They really set us up for that with a drunk Jack, a 2 hour drive and a guilt ridden Kate who put him up to the 2 hour drive.
What ever the cause we need to remember Kate feels some blame for some reason.
I imagine the original season one would have included Jack's death, which they seeded consistently throughout the season. But when the show got a two-season renewal, they had to retcon the original 18 episodes to stretch the story out over three years.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:32 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,542 times
Someone had a good theory that their morning conversation/fight was a dream and her flashing back while sitting on the couch after he had already died? No clue where they are going to go. Plane crash? Does he spiral out of control with alcoholism? Car crash? Does he get cancer?

Old 03-15-2017, 12:22 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I'm not on Twitter, but a bunch of people told me that the "buzz" on Twitter was that this season finale will include "something never before seen on TV." Well, all that hype made the actual finale a let-down, when otherwise it would have been a perfectly good episode. What the heck happened last night that was never seen on TV before?

They also teased us over and over that we'd learn how Jack died. Last week Kate started to conversation with Toby, that she's now ready to talk about Jack's death, so that was the "cliffhanger" that implied a promise to answer that questions this week.

I disagree with the people who say that "they have to keep us interested by not revealing how he dies..." But that's ridiculous. Those of us who love the show will certainly not lose interest when we learn how Jack dies. We watch because we LOVE these characters almost as if they are real people. We don't just watch because we want some little mystery wrapped up. We don't watch because something is hyped. I wish the creators of the show would just freaking RELAX and just understand that they have a great show going, an that we love the characters. They don't have to play with us fans and manipulate us with little tricks to make us watch. Just keep making a really high-quality, moving show.

I also got very annoyed with Rebecca last night. She has realized again and again how wonderful her husband is, how lucky she is to have him, and that he's a "super hero." But then she falls right back into that "I'm just so unfulfilled...wah wah wah..." thing. Please. If I knew a 40 year old woman with a family who was trying to pursue some delusional fever-dream of being a professional singer, I'd be utterly disgusted. You're unfulfilled? Boo hoo. Well, maybe go back to college/grad school, maybe pursue a real career, maybe get into charity/volunteer work. If you like singing, great, but face it, it's a hobby. I like to draw, but I'm not going on the road, leaving all my responsibilities to become a professional artist. It's a hobby. Really, I actually care for the show's characters as if they are real people, but the one I continually have a problem with is Rebecca. Going on tour with a band at 40 is self-indulgent of course, but never telling your husband that you once dated the band guy? That's pretty serious betrayal. Secretly contacting your son's biological father and never telling him, or your husband? That's another serious betrayal. She gets off pretty easy in that her loved ones still love her after all that. She's the only character, that, for me, is bordering on unlikable.

What has Jack actually done wrong? He went through a period of not being a great father for a brief period, then he quickly straightened himself out and became a wonderful father. He dabbled in heavy drinking for less than a year, while still providing for his family and performing well in the job, then he totally quit drinking when Rebecca said something. He went overboard with some anger, but that was when he found out that his loving wife hid from him for like 18 years that she used to date the leader of her band. He arranged that wonderful anniversary with their old apartment to revive their love life, and in the middle of this powerful re-connection, his wife announces she'd like to go on tour.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:28 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I agree. This seemed somewhat forced. Like they were midway through the series and were like "Wait a minute! We need to include a gay character! How'd we forget that? Hmmm... let's see, who could we make gay? Can't do Randall, he's firmly married. Can't do Kevin, we've made him too much of a ladies man. Can't do Kate, cause we've started the Toby thing. Rebecca's married to Miguel. I guess the only one left is William. Ok. We'll make him gay."
I wouldn't be surprised to see Randall and Jesse work together on something, especially now that Randall quit his job. I think Jesse is going to end up having a bigger role on the show.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 PM

The inconsistencies are starting to get to me too. Maybe because I'm from PA too LOL. I think they will explain how William ended up in Philly. Maybe he joined a band and ended up there. Who knows? I think it will be revealed eventually. But I am bothered by the Jack/Rebecca thing with Pittsburgh vs. Philly. Jack and Rebecca lived in Pittsburgh, but things on the news Jack was watching on TV were about Philly. Someone not from the are wouldn't have caught that. Also, William and Randall stopped at Jack's Tree (supposedly his favorite tree where some of his ashes were scattered). But as far as I know, they didn't drive to Pittsburgh. So why would Jack's Tree be in Philly?

The only explanation would be if the whole family moved from Pittsburgh to Philly sometime before Jack's death (still doesn't explain the news cast thing though).

Old 03-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
What has Jack actually done wrong? He went through a period of not being a great father for a brief period, then he quickly straightened himself out and became a wonderful father. He dabbled in heavy drinking for less than a year, while still providing for his family and performing well in the job, then he totally quit drinking when Rebecca said something. He went overboard with some anger, but that was when he found out that his loving wife hid from him for like 18 years that she used to date the leader of her band. He arranged that wonderful anniversary with their old apartment to revive their love life, and in the middle of this powerful re-connection, his wife announces she'd like to go on tour.
I think Jack just expects Rebecca to do what he wants her to do. The kids are older and pretty self-sufficient. There's no reason Rebecca can't pursue a hobby now if she wants to. I just get the impression that Jack wants to come home from work when he feels like it, eat a hot meal that Rebecca made, then go to bed. And I think he feels like Rebecca should be totally happy and accepting of that. I get the impression that jack doesn't want Rebecca to have any interests or friends outside of him. That her life should revolve solely around Jack. And Rebecca resents him for it.

She was a singer when he met her. It's not reasonable for him to expect her to totally abandon that just because he's with her now. It would be different if it were something she picked up after the fact.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:57 PM

711 posts, read 688,378 times
I was a teenager in the early 70s and one thing I'm really loving is the music they're playing from that era. Hearing Moonshadow and Share the Land last night made me happy. I think I enjoyed last night's 70s music more than any of the prior episodes.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:59 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
Maybe the show's direction changed as it picked up a lot of viewers. Renewing for seasons 2 and 3 forced them to drag this out a bit more. So we'll see more before we know what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I imagine the original season one would have included Jack's death, which they seeded consistently throughout the season. But when the show got a two-season renewal, they had to retcon the original 18 episodes to stretch the story out over three years.
The season finale was already made and in the can before they got the renewal. This was how they intended to end S1 all along.

Here's why I said that his death will change the show. I'm probably not going to say this clearly, but will try...

Right now, we know he's dead, but that's all we know. He's still "alive" as far as flashbacks, and all of his scenes (except the ghost ones with William). So even though he *is* dead, we still see him as alive. IOW, we see him as alive in his scenes, even though we know he's dead.

When they show us his death, he'll become dead to us in a more real sense. And at that point, all the flashbacks with him will take on a new tack, have a new feel. He'll actually be dead to us at that point. And all the flashbacks with him will have us see him as a dead man (or dead man walking).

It will truly change the feel of the show. So I think they may not show us his actual death for some time.

To carry this a step further, we knew William was going to die, but he hadn't. Now that he has, they could still show us young William, but it will have a totally different feel to it than the young William scenes we've been seeing this first season. We will never be able to look at him the same way again.

This is pure conjecture on my part. And for all I know, we may come back and see his passing in S2E1. But my gut tells me we won't see it for some time.

Aside: How ironic that one post after kayanne comments how glad she is to see us back to discussing the show, and not obsessing over nits, CarnivalGal brings up a nit.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Aside: How ironic that one post after kayanne comments how glad she is to see us back to discussing the show, and not obsessing over nits, CarnivalGal brings up a nit.
Sorry! I posted it before I read the other posts.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:28 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
The inconsistencies are starting to get to me too. Maybe because I'm from PA too LOL. I think they will explain how William ended up in Philly. Maybe he joined a band and ended up there. Who knows? I think it will be revealed eventually. But I am bothered by the Jack/Rebecca thing with Pittsburgh vs. Philly. Jack and Rebecca lived in Pittsburgh, but things on the news Jack was watching on TV were about Philly. Someone not from the are wouldn't have caught that. Also, William and Randall stopped at Jack's Tree (supposedly his favorite tree where some of his ashes were scattered). But as far as I know, they didn't drive to Pittsburgh. So why would Jack's Tree be in Philly?

The only explanation would be if the whole family moved from Pittsburgh to Philly sometime before Jack's death (still doesn't explain the news cast thing though).
Randall drove out of his way (to Memphis) to take William to see Jack's Tree. They didn't specifically state that it was in Pittsburgh. However, you drive through eastern PA to get from North Jersey to Memphis, so it's not that much out of the way to head west to Pittsburgh instead of south into MD on your way to TN.

As far as William living in Philadelphia, perhaps he met Jesse there while he was on a visit. I've moved enough times in my life, it isn't a big deal for me, William's living in Philadelphia.

Question: in which episode was Jack watching Philadelphia TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV