Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:15 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
What exactly is amusing about it? Amusing means funny. This show is very dark and lacks any comedy.
My bad, is it not a dark comedy? Maybe I misinterpret the show as to me I don't take anything about it serious, it's too out there to for me to think this was meant to be a serious show. I guess we're either looking at two very different shows or we just see things from vastly different view points. I see it as very dark humor, but, humor none the less. If you don't see it, I don't plan to explain it to you as it would be mute and just something to argue over. I avoid the political section for just that reason.

Plus Seth Rogen is involve, so no way this could have been meant to be a serious drama, no wayyyyyyyy. I only recently found out and that the show is based on a comic book, evidently a very popular one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:00 AM

841 posts, read 553,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
My bad, is it not a dark comedy? Maybe I misinterpret the show as to me I don't take anything about it serious, it's too out there to for me to think this was meant to be a serious show. I guess we're either looking at two very different shows or we just see things from vastly different view points. I see it as very dark humor, but, humor none the less. If you don't see it, I don't plan to explain it to you as it would be mute and just something to argue over. I avoid the political section for just that reason.

Plus Seth Rogen is involve, so no way this could have been meant to be a serious drama, no wayyyyyyyy. I only recently found out and that the show is based on a comic book, evidently a very popular one.
I'm certainly getting the dark comedy part. I, as well, have been highly amused by both episodes and will continue to look forward to it.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:55 AM

556 posts, read 788,431 times
I also find the show amusing and entertaining, sometimes the marquee in front of the church is hilarious. I'll keep watching it.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:11 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
How are they getting away with this on TV? It's like doing a Spawn TV show??

Way to dark for TV just waiting for the bible thumpers to jump all over this one.
Ok I will.
The main thing I didn't like about it was how the writers just don't get it. During the baptism scene with the people saying things like "Preacher save me" etc. They just don't get it that that is so totally wrong. The preacher never saves anyone, it's our God that saves us. ugh. Such bad writing when the basis of this show is a preacher. But that happens a lot in entertainment writing and religion, no clue.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:17 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
I like the show.... its gory but so is TWD ...

Old 06-10-2016, 06:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I liked it. So far I prefer it to Fear thd Walking Dead.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:49 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
I've enjoyed it thus far. For anyone whose read the Preacher comic they know that it's full of gore (I like gore) and dark comedy.

If you want to give up on it now, don't just yet. Here's a quick overview of Preacher.

He was possessed by a creature named Genesis. Genesis was the byproduct of an angel and a demon. It is a combination of pure evil and pure goodness, with no individual will. This power rivals God's power, and makes him possibly one of the most powerful beings in the universe. He just doesn't know it. God abandoned Heaven as soon as Genesis was created because of this. Jesse has a huge sense of right and wrong but he doesn't yet understand why. He also doesn't know that he can control Genesis to a point. His urges to do right and wrong are so strong that sometimes it is difficult for him to realize it.

If the storyline follows the comic, Jesse will set out to literally find God and along the way will learn more about his powers and how to use them. His powers allow him to command obedience to anyone who hears his words. He should go up against angels, some demons, and the Angel of Death himself in his search. The AOD was sent down from Heaven (called The Saint of Killers, who we saw last episode as the cowboy riding off to get medicine for his sick children in the 1800s) to kill Jesse because he possesses Genesis. In the last episode he was about to attempt to wake up the comatose girl because he has realized that his voice has some sort of power to it. Remember when he told the bus driver to forget about the girl, and all of a sudden he can't remember anything? That is the profound moment when Jesse realizes something has happened to him.

The show should get a lot better as time goes on and more will be explained.

Oh...... and as a side note, Stephen King has said that he based the Dark Tower comic: The Gunslinger Born off of Preacher. A little food for thought for the SK fans here like myself.

Last edited by Nlambert; 06-10-2016 at 07:17 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 12:34 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
I have to say that I am absolutely loving this show!!!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:03 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Tulip is awesome/adorable as ever!

Old 06-13-2016, 10:59 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I've enjoyed it thus far. For anyone whose read the Preacher comic they know that it's full of gore (I like gore) and dark comedy.

If you want to give up on it now, don't just yet. Here's a quick overview of Preacher.

He was possessed by a creature named Genesis. Genesis was the byproduct of an angel and a demon. It is a combination of pure evil and pure goodness, with no individual will. This power rivals God's power, and makes him possibly one of the most powerful beings in the universe. He just doesn't know it. God abandoned Heaven as soon as Genesis was created because of this. Jesse has a huge sense of right and wrong but he doesn't yet understand why. He also doesn't know that he can control Genesis to a point. His urges to do right and wrong are so strong that sometimes it is difficult for him to realize it.

If the storyline follows the comic, Jesse will set out to literally find God and along the way will learn more about his powers and how to use them. His powers allow him to command obedience to anyone who hears his words. He should go up against angels, some demons, and the Angel of Death himself in his search. The AOD was sent down from Heaven (called The Saint of Killers, who we saw last episode as the cowboy riding off to get medicine for his sick children in the 1800s) to kill Jesse because he possesses Genesis. In the last episode he was about to attempt to wake up the comatose girl because he has realized that his voice has some sort of power to it. Remember when he told the bus driver to forget about the girl, and all of a sudden he can't remember anything? That is the profound moment when Jesse realizes something has happened to him.

The show should get a lot better as time goes on and more will be explained.

Oh...... and as a side note, Stephen King has said that he based the Dark Tower comic: The Gunslinger Born off of Preacher. A little food for thought for the SK fans here like myself.

The Gunslinger was published in 1982 and according to what info I found, The Preacher comics started in 1995. If this is true, then there is no way SK based The Gunslinger off the Preacher. I read The Dark Tower series and I really don't get a Roland vibe from the preacher.

Anyway, I am enjoying this dark comedy so far. It's like a breathe of fresh air.

Read your post again, I have not read The Dark Tower comics, just the books. I would hate to think that he changed Roland's persona from the books to something different in the comics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV