Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

I prefer the consistency of shows being shown straight through with a break around mid season. A show like How to Get Away With Murder is only 15 episodes. If they were going to show it straight through without a mid season break, there would be over 8 months between seasons. The alternative is going back to the old way, where the viewers never know if they are going to be tuning in for a new episode the next week. I hate when shows are new for two weeks, then take three weeks off, are back for a week, take another two off.... I like knowing that I can tune into a show every Thursday and it will be airing.

I hate watching shows on the CW, because their scheduling is so inconsistent. Like iZombie came back from break on January 12, but then didn't have another show until February 2. They were pretty consistent in February, but then had another month long break between February 23 and March 22. I just don't see how that is good for ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 06:00 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
People hate both arrangements, with and without long mid-season breaks. Whichever one the network is doing, people hate it. They switch back, and people hate it. They switch back, and people hate it.

What people want is more expensive than what the money involved could justify.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
What do you think people want?

Old 05-18-2016, 09:34 AM
bUU

Shows that have almost no gaps in the season, September to May.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:52 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
People hate both arrangements, with and without long mid-season breaks. Whichever one the network is doing, people hate it. They switch back, and people hate it. They switch back, and people hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What do you think people want?
Quote:
I hate both ways of stretching 22 episodes over 39 weeks, too. I'd love it if the networks went back to a 39-episode season, with 13 weeks of reruns during the summer. But we know that isn't going to happen.

Given the two choices, I think spreading episodes out is probably better for the networks. I know for a fact that ABC lost me as a HTGAWM viewer as a direct result of its disappearing for a few months during its first season. I tried to watch it again, but I couldn't get into it because of its essential stupidity. I made fun of myself for even trying to watch it during the second half of season one. I believe I might have continued to watch if there hadn't been that huge timeout.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:02 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
No they want 52 week shows like the daytime soaps. The tradition however was around half a year of content with reruns and limited run shows filling in the missing weeks and it seems ABC is going back to the old model of having those only in the summer when they run out of shows rather than leaving a hole for the Christmas holidays and award shows.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Really? Most people I know like the shorter seasons. If shows went to 36 episodes, it would just mean an extra 14 filler episodes.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post

Given the two choices, I think spreading episodes out is probably better for the networks. I know for a fact that ABC lost me as a HTGAWM viewer as a direct result of its disappearing for a few months during its first season. I tried to watch it again, but I couldn't get into it because of its essential stupidity. I made fun of myself for even trying to watch it during the second half of season one. I believe I might have continued to watch if there hadn't been that huge timeout.
But how is the midseason break any different then the break between seasons? It seems like if they didn't lose you at midseason, they would have between seasons.

How to Get Away with Murder is a 15 episode show. To spread it out over a 39 week period would mean ABC would need to have almost two weeks of reruns in between every episode. I feel like that makes it harder to follow a show when you have to constantly be thinking back to what happened 2-3 weeks ago when the last episode aired.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:30 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
I don't think the midseason hiatus is anything that unusual historically - it's just promoted better than it has been in the past.

In the past, between Thanksgiving (November sweeps) and the end of January, most shows would maybe do one or two new episodes, including a Christmas special, and then come back for February sweeps.

The "new: midseason finale/hiatus/midseason premiere format just gave the networks a new way to promote what was essentially already happening and has been happening for years.

So, now ABC will go back to having maybe an episode in December and another one in January of Agents of Shield or whatever, instead of having no new episodes for 10 weeks. (Can't have episodes Thanksgiving Week, Christmas Week, New Year's week or Super Bowl Hype Week, so you're already down several of the weeks anyhow)

Old 05-18-2016, 10:56 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
No they want 52 week shows like the daytime soaps.
Some, sure, but a lot of folks look at summer as a time to spend more time outside, late into the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV