Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 PM

10,077 posts, read 6,372,858 times

Advertisements

Yeah, but it's sometimes the stuff that just looks old to you that turns out to be the most interesting. Besides, a lot of the fun of it is just finding out the background and/or history of a piece unless you are an antiques expert and have already done your own research on hallmarks, editions, etc. The good thing is the experts on AR really ARE experts - I took several pieces to Chesapeake Collectibles (also on PBS), and I had to explain to the appraisers what one of them was - really disappointing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 03:29 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,566,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Also, I have to find someone to take with me, but most of my friends could care diddly-squat about AR. I may post a call-out on Craigslist if someone will take one item and show an additional item of mine (hey, "I" paid for the ticket).
Oh man! I wish I lived anywhere near Virginia so I could go with you, but I don't. Try posting on the CD Collecting and Antiques forum (under Hobbies) to see if anyone lives near you.

Have a great time!

Old 06-05-2016, 03:43 PM

4,712 posts, read 4,386,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Oh man! I wish I lived anywhere near Virginia so I could go with you, but I don't. Try posting on the CD Collecting and Antiques forum (under Hobbies) to see if anyone lives near you.

Have a great time!
how exciting all around and this is a great suggestion-

Old 06-06-2016, 03:17 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,851,991 times
I've been twice - first to Cincinnati, before they rationed tickets. Outdoor lines stretched for blocks, and it took forever and was exhausting, but was still fun.

By the time I went to Louisville, tickets were required, but not rationed, as I recall - I think you had to contact your local PBS station to obtain them. Lines were shorter and inside an air-conditioned facility, which also offered (for a price) drinks and snacks. Some people had been advised to bring folding chairs - but they seemed to get in the way, as lines moved well and much faster than during my previous experience.

I think the AR folks have streamlined things as much as possible, which certainly benefits the visiting public. Do wear comfortable shoes and clothes, and perhaps take your own water bottle and snacks, just in case.

If you are selected to be in TV, they'll do some minimal make-up (mainly to eliminate shine), so stick in a comb and lipstick or whatever, if you feel the need to spruce up a little more. Also consider wearing a becoming solid color top, as that photographs better. Avoid stripes or zigzag designs - they can mess up a TV picture.

As to what to bring - I saw all kinds of things. LOTS of old violins, family Bibles, and Grandpa's watches, most of which had little value (if a violin is hand-made and has a label by the verified original maker, that might be different. If the label reads Amati or Stradivarious, forget it! But if it's signed by Robert Glier of Cincinnati or one of his fellow luthiers, bring it along).

When I went to the Cincinnati roadshow, I took my copy of Georgia O'Keeffe's yearbook from Chatham Hall, a private Virginia high school (equivalent to junior college or better, most likely), of which she was the art editor. It is a rare book, but one of my late relatives was one of O'Keeffe's classmates, so this copy of the yearbook has been in our family for a long time. It was valued at several thousand dollars then, but it didn't get on TV, as they'd already filmed lots of Rookwood pottery and Cincinnati carved furniture and had run out of their allotted film/time before I arrived at the appraiser's station.

Oddball items associated with famous people do well, as do extremely artistic and beautifully made things. Antique dolls and toys can be quite valuable - or can have little worth, depending on rarity and condition. Folk art can bring considerable interest. Factory made Victorian and later furniture is not in much demand with younger people these days, despite being sturdier, more attractive (to my eyes) and better made than almost all contemporary factory furniture. Even earlier furniture - 18th century European and to a lesser degree, 18th century and earlier American furniture - is not bringing the prices of 20 years ago.

Your items sound fascinating - they do like things which have a good story attached, as they make for interesting TV.

Have fun, and be sure to come back and tell us all about it afterwards!

(The yearbook is eventually going to the Archives of American Art in D.C., which is part of the Smithsonian. I need to get it reappraised for tax purposes before I pass it on, however).

Old 07-02-2016, 10:07 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,931,406 times
I posted re Antiques Roadshow on your thread in Collectibles--dm if you have questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV