Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 01:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,119,126 times

Advertisements

Is anyone going to admit that they'll watch tonight? I think I will, but it might be my last. We'll see what it is like.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM

4,359 posts, read 6,518,059 times
I'd rather watch Test Pattern, although this thread has been amusing..

Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,332,118 times
I used to be a regular viewer. But I won't tune in tonight. Watching the kids' family disintegrate isn't entertainment for me.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:12 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,145,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I'd rather watch Test Pattern, although this thread has been amusing..
LOL--- good answer!! I haven't watched in awhile........the thread was more interesting than the show.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
LOL--- good answer!! I haven't watched in awhile........the thread was more interesting than the show.
(Not directed at you) Except that people posting on the thread base their opinions on what they see in the tabloids, since many have stopped watching the show. My favorite posts start with "I don't watch the show, but..."

Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 PM

23,840 posts, read 33,443,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I wasn't a regular viewer, would watch if nothing else was on until this post.
Had to watch it to keep up with the post. lol

Old 08-03-2009, 03:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
I used to be a regular viewer. But I won't tune in tonight. Watching the kids' family disintegrate isn't entertainment for me.
Yep - quit watching when it became apparent where it was heading.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:51 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,300,407 times
I didn't know it airs tonight, I might watch it, I saw the preview and Kate was doing everything on her own and I commend her for that, she's keeping her head up and doing what she has to do.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:30 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,146,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I wonder if they would have still been married if they never did the tv show.
I for one, think the answer to that would have been "yes". As someone who watched the show for years, they only stopped getting along (I'm not talking about Kate's constant belittling...I'm talking about their recent underlying hostility that seems to dominate the show now) in the last 2 years. Before that, they would have fights (who doesn't?) but I always watched the show and appreciated how the family was a pretty well-oiled machine and the parents worked together to make things happen. It makes me sad to think of all the great shows they had when they were truly a family...Christmas caroling (and Jon in his top hat), Kate making a Valentine's Day treasure hunt, all of them watching Planet Earth in the basement, getting all the kids out to the tree farm at Christmas, the trip to their local theme park, the 4th of July parade....the list could go on and on.

I certainly don't condone cheating and if either of them thought it was okay to step outside of the marriage, then it certainly needed to head down the divorce road.

However, I personally think that none of this would have happened had they not received such a financial windfall and the so-called fame that went along with it. Two parents who have to work together to raise 8 kids would be busy doing what normal families do: Working, taking care of the house, spending time with the kids, cooking, spending time with each other. I only have 2 kids and I am pretty busy. My husband and I spend a lot of time just trying to get our family functioning and now that the kids are getting a little older and more independent, we get to actually have "alone" time. When that happens, I realize how much I appreciate him and the hard work that he does, both outside and inside of the house. If I had 8 kids, my appreciation would be tenfold.

Jon and Kate became famous and more importantly, RICH. Neither of them need to work at a regular job but neither of them really DO anything. Kate has nothing to contribute about great parenting...her only "job" is to go around the country talking about her family. Nearly every parent in the world likes to talk about their kids...Kate just gets paid for it. And Jon is now looking into a clothing line? Puh-leeze. They are acting like "trust fund" children...only they received their windfall later in life. They still have no idea what to do with it and have let the money turn them into different people. I don't think Jon would have been wandering aimlessly through life, going from one job to another, if he actually had to take responsibility. He worked a regular job at the beginning of the show. Kate might have even gone back to work once the kids started going to school full time. They would not have been off cavorting with teenagers in the Riviera, heading to the personal shopper, living in a mansion. While I certainly don't want any families to go through life struggling...sometimes it's the hardships that bring people closer together. Neither of them have a purpose and neither of them have a common goal that they are working towards. Saying "I do everything for my kids" is a cop-out and a standard parent answer.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
I wonder if they would have still been married if they never did the tv show.
Hard to say. I think their issues were always there, but may not have come to the surface as badly or as soon w/o the show/money. I think my answer would depend on whether or not Jon quit or got fired from his job(s). They seemed to be doing ok when Jon was the full time working dad, and Kate stayed home. If Jon could hold a job, and Kate could stay home, they could have gone on like that for a while. Kate has acknowledged that Jon lost a job back when the 6 were babies (or before they were born); and there were reports that Jon got fired from his last IT job. IF he really has trouble holding a job, then yes, I think that stress could have lead to their break up. If he was not at fault for that, or actually QUIT the last job, then I think the show/money was a major contributing factor. The fame lead to Kate's books and speaking engagements, which lead to Jon quitting to stay home with the kids, which he resented... Without the show he might still be average IT guy, going to work every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.