Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 03:04 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,478,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Yes and they even have places shut down to the public just so that they can have the places to themselves. I bet $20 that was Kate's doing.

Living in the same area (and never watched the show),I can tell you that yes,they do have places shut down just for them and that includes shopping areas....
Sorry,but no one needs to have a store empty with no public paying customers in them because they CHOSE to have their life played out on tv... not even the President insists on things like this.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:16 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,421,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
I would have more empathy for this woman if she maybe did the first year of Jon and Kate plus eight and then said ok out of here when need to make this happen on our own. I sign up to follow up with you every year for a hour episode until their five. Then after that maybe will follow up again at age 10 and so one
There was a program where the crew (and the same researcher) followed 10 or so kids at 7 years intervals (7yo, 14yo, 21yo, 28yo, 35yo, and I think the last one was 42yo). Even with these several-year intervals, some of them were visibly uncomfortable during interviews, uncomfortable with the whole idea of tracking their lives. Some were falling out of sight, so there were only a handful of 42 year olds who were still doing interviews. I think it is generally a very unsettling idea, for a normal individual, to be chronicled for all the world to see.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,484,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
There was a program where the crew (and the same researcher) followed 10 or so kids at 7 years intervals (7yo, 14yo, 21yo, 28yo, 35yo, and I think the last one was 42yo). Even with these several-year intervals, some of them were visibly uncomfortable during interviews, uncomfortable with the whole idea of tracking their lives. Some were falling out of sight, so there were only a handful of 42 year olds who were still doing interviews. I think it is generally a very unsettling idea, for a normal individual, to be chronicled for all the world to see.
That's called "7 Up" (and then "21 Up" and so forth). Totally different imo. Those kids were just interviewed every 7 years to see the similarities, differences between who they were then and who they turned out to be. It was a fascinating series to me. For example, there was a 7 yo who kept asking question after question, and he ended up a journalist. Anyway, totally different to sit down for one day every 7 years than what this family is going through!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,099,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
so does kate raising the kids alone make all you kate haters happy????

very few of you think those 2 should try marriage counseling FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN!
I think they should if they haven't already, but it takes two willing participants who want to actually save the marriage. Seems like Jon just wants to get out, but I can't really say - just my perception from the last episode.

I think it would be extremely difficult for her to raise them alone, so she'll need help, which she'll have to pay for. It also depends on what Jon intends to do as far as his participation in the kids' lives. I would think he'd still be active with them.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:27 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,504,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
There was a program where the crew (and the same researcher) followed 10 or so kids at 7 years intervals (7yo, 14yo, 21yo, 28yo, 35yo, and I think the last one was 42yo). Even with these several-year intervals, some of them were visibly uncomfortable during interviews, uncomfortable with the whole idea of tracking their lives. Some were falling out of sight, so there were only a handful of 42 year olds who were still doing interviews. I think it is a very unsettling idea to be chronicled for all the world to see.
Very true, I am not saying for these children to be followed for many many years to come (older age). I'm saying a few years in between. Once they get to be teenagers and beyond they don't have to do anything....I disagree with doing the whole thing to begin with but whats is done is done. I watch maybe three, four shows...and seen the season opener only because of the media. If I was her I would not have commericalized my life for the entire world to see. I would have gladly let them see glimpses because we as a nation have curious minds on how people do things and deal with things. But to glamorize your children and put your relationship at harm...why? If she knew the satistics about couples of multipules long ago...why? Why continue doing what your doing to your children. Why not seek emotional and support from an outside source shortly after the 8 were born so everything and flow better and axe the camera's after the first year....and not only that the first year have minimal taping time. Like two three days a week. Not your whole entire life.....

Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
That's called "7 Up" (and then "21 Up" and so forth). Totally different imo. Those kids were just interviewed every 7 years to see the similarities, differences between who they were then and who they turned out to be. It was a fascinating series to me. For example, there was a 7 yo who kept asking question after question, and he ended up a journalist. Anyway, totally different to sit down for one day every 7 years than what this family is going through!
I think you are basically supporting what I said - ? People there were getting uncomfortable, even with those intervals. These 8 kids endure that on a daily basis. Maybe not so many questions, but cameras in their faces all the time.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:34 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,403,792 times
Quote:
Of course it will be Kate + 8, and then I hope Jon goes to the courts and puts a restraining order against Kate for showing their kids on national TV. Don't these children have a right, I believe one of them needs to stop thinking about themselves and think about what this is doing to these children. All they know is camera's and microphones since they were born. It's sad, they will never live a normal life because their parents did this whole show. Also I truly believe that Kate was the pusher of this show into Jon. Kate pushed the whole we need help and freebies and think of all the oppurtunities we will get from doing this show. And Jon gave in so he would stop hearing Kate.

The worst thing for her that she did on the last show was say she was there for the kids....what a crock of bull!
I would have more empathy for this woman if she maybe did the first year of Jon and Kate plus eight and then said ok out of here when need to make this happen on our own. I sign up to follow up with you every year for a hour episode until their five. Then after that maybe will follow up again at age 10 and so one.....I am all for mothers here because I am one. Not of multipules but never the less being a mother is a job in its self...I didn't need a camera crew documenting everything!

It's all about greed now!
Maybe Jon is considering his options.

During one of final interview sessions--Kate said, 'I'm here--for the kids' and Jon responded in a similar manner. I wondered if there have been discussions about the house, 'Here'.

Such a complicated mess and TLC says they will keep airing the show 'as long as there is public interest and the family agrees'. Reportedly they are now contracted for 40 new episodes, twice the number of last season.

I don't know how they can offer anything worth seeing--knowing what we all know so thoroughly now.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,030,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
so does kate raising the kids alone make all you kate haters happy????

very few of you think those 2 should try marriage counseling FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN!
I read somewhere that marriage counseling is a stipulation of their contract for the show this season. Don't know if that is true. I think they should at least try before calling it quits. For all we know they've already been in counseling.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,030,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Living in the same area (and never watched the show),I can tell you that yes,they do have places shut down just for them and that includes shopping areas....
Sorry,but no one needs to have a store empty with no public paying customers in them because they CHOSE to have their life played out on tv... not even the President insists on things like this.
I've heard of celebrities doing that, but yikes! I wouldn't think J & K need all that!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Very true, I am not saying for these children to be followed for many many years to come (older age). I'm saying a few years in between. Once they get to be teenagers and beyond they don't have to do anything....I disagree with doing the whole thing to begin with but whats is done is done. I watch maybe three, four shows...and seen the season opener only because of the media. If I was her I would not have commericalized my life for the entire world to see. I would have gladly let them see glimpses because we as a nation have curious minds on how people do things and deal with things. But to glamorize your children and put your relationship at harm...why? If she knew the satistics about couples of multipules long ago...why? Why continue doing what your doing to your children. Why not seek emotional and support from an outside source shortly after the 8 were born so everything and flow better and axe the camera's after the first year....and not only that the first year have minimal taping time. Like two three days a week. Not your whole entire life.....
You know how we see children of celebrities growing up troubled, brats, spoiled, indulgent etc etc etc. And they were not even in the camera!!!! - only their parents were. How many degrees worse is then this show??? We would be in uproar if any celebrity- Halle Berry, Marcia Cross, Demi Moore, - showed off daily lives of their children. The idea of parading their children is off limits for average people (an even for celebrities) ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV