Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Jon is a very "type B" personality which has worked fine with Kate's hyper "type A" personality. There are very few marriages that are truly 50/50. My husband honestly just goes along for the ride when it comes to where we eat out (since we have the same taste in food) and stuff like vacations. I do the household budget and running of the house. I don't think it's a big deal because my husband works full time (many long hours) and helps me out when he can (including letting me have my weekly "alone time" to see a movie, get my hair cut, hang out with friends, etc, etc).

Kate has dealt with having so many kids by being militant with things like their daily schedule, what they eat, what they wear, etc. I probably wouldn't have handled it the same way, but it's different strokes for different folks.

My biggest problem was the belittling of Jon. Sometimes he can be a total dufus but criticizing his speaking patterns or the way he puts on the kids clothes, and everything else she choses to harp on really started to get old and I don't even live with her!

I'm really not on the poor Jon bandwagon, so I hope I'm not misunderstood. I just don't see that she has any interest in the marriage.
How do you work on marriage problems with camera's on you 24/7 ??

Old 05-27-2009, 01:25 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times
So I made my husband watch the episode last night and got to see it for the 2nd time. For those of us who have watched this show for a while, here are some things I noticed that really bother me:

1. Remember when they went to California and were hiking through the woods collecting pinecones? Jon was talking to the camera crew and Kate turned around and lectured him on being "natural" and not acknowledging the camera. At the kids' 5th birthday party, they were constantly playing with the cameras, from spraying silly string on it to putting candy wrappers on the lens. I didn't have a problem when the kids were playing with the cameras (that's what kids do) but it does bother me that Kate is now making the show seem like a home movie.

2. The birthday party recap that they showed (complete with sweet music and clips from when the kids were really little) reminded me how much more fun it is to have a birthday party with true friends and family (remember Nana Janet getting on the donkey?!). The kids 5th birthday was filled with the new J&K PR team, crew, and total strangers to the family who were there with their kids from school. If you looked in the background, the parents were clustered together talking (since they obviously knew each other from school) while Kate ran around overcompensating and pretending to have a much better time than she was having.

3. Remember when Jon (during an interview) mentioned that something had happened during a particular season and Kate jumped all over him and said that they shouldn't look at their life as "Seasons"? She said they just live their lives and let TLC edit it for the show. She was mad at Jon for looking back at their "precious" memories as Season 1 or 2. Well, at the birthday party, right before they started singing "Happy Birthday", she told the onlookers that if they watched past seasons, they would know that they always sing to each individual kid. Seems it's only Jon that can't mention their show or a particular "season."

4. Did anyone see that Kate changed outfits twice during the party? I know this is being way too nitpicky, but it still bothers me that it wasn't long ago when Jon had to take Kate shopping because she declared herself totally clueless when it came to clothes. Now, she is sporting clothes chosen by her "personal shopper" complete with outfit changes for a kids birthday party! I am not advocating "mom jeans" and a ponytail, but the rest of us manage to not go out in the world looking like total idiots without having a personal shopper. I don't know anyone who would change outfits at a party unless they had a glass of juice spill on them or fell into the cake.

5. Finally, the final interview with them on the couch when Kate began by saying something like "I am here for the kids. Every second when I am not working (or on tour) I am home. I am 100% for the kids" which then required Jon to say half-heartedly that he is there for the kids too. That really bothered me because it felt like they are having a "who loves the kids more" competition when they should be focusing on "how can we improve our family situation so that in fact, it really IS what's best for the kids?" Jon needs to get his butt home (whatever he was doing before the party was not as important as celebrating his own children's big day). Leah said she missed him and didn't want him to go away (to which he mumbled something like, "Daddy was at work"). Kate needs to stop acting like the kids are a priority when she is off on book tours, television interviews, clothes shopping, etc and when all of THAT is done, she spends time with the kids.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
Kate needs to learn and I think she will that we will all go on without her. She thinks she is this star that for some reason is needed to have this show and write books and all that.
I predict a serious backlash against the family and nothing upsets a network more than watching a media "darling" get turned on by the public. They are going to become the Tom Cruise of cable TV.

I am not going to watch the show anymore. I didn't watch most of last season and I only watched Monday's episode because I was curious about the rumors. Seems the rumors have some truth to them. I know it's only one little viewer (me) who is going to stop and there are millions of people who tune in. But, TLC is basically showing a family crumbling from the inside while racking up freebies. Neither Jon or Kate seem willing to stop the gravy train even at the expense of their own family unit. TLC isn't going to stop the show because now that they are having marital problems, it's generating even more viewers.

The kids are in school full time which now means that they can't get nearly the amount of footage that they used to of day-to-day life so they make them go to all of these events and sit in VIP seats in order to have something to fill an episode. I don't care WHAT the contract says, Kate (and I am putting the burden on her since she seems to have become the "celebrity" of the family) needs to pull the plug and then go on the talk show circuit and tell America that she did it in order to save their marriage and family. TLC would find themselves in a hard place because they could probably sue them for breach of contract, but the rest of America would cheer her bravery and selflessness (at last) and the backlash towards TLC would be huge if they went after their family. A yearly (or twice yearly) episode of "what are they doing now?" would suffice. Time to move on. I know I am going to.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times
They are both at fault and we can all sit here all day saying who did what to whom. The issue is that these children are not being cared for or helped. I have been divorced and I had three small kids at that time. Parents who go through divorced sometimes and I was gulity of it too forget that children still love their Moms and Dads. They don't care who cheated who yelled or whatever. They love their parents and don't understand what is going on. But for these children it plays out on a show. I 'm just so disgusted by this and the amount of people who watched. These children miss their Dad and he shows up to flim a show and then what goes away or Kate does. I really think that the kids were very close to Jon, for sure the boys who I don't think Kate favored. When they did their speacial day thing she went to the girls with Jon but when it was the boys turn just Jon took them. I also do not think for one second that Kate doesn't bad mouth Jon in front of the kids because she did it all along. The kids need help and I wish someone would step in and help them

Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
How do you work on marriage problems with camera's on you 24/7 ??
You can't. That's why they need to have a private meeting with just the two of them and come to a decision about their marriage. It's not going to get fixed overnight but they need to decide if they are going to work on it or continue with this immature, tension filled relationship. Don't let it slowly crumble on tv because, just as Jon said, his kids are going to Google them one day.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:58 PM

149 posts, read 830,941 times
Their kids are very cute, but I found nothing interesting about the show except watching their kids.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,298 times
They can turn their marriage counseling into a new reality tv show. That would actually be a show that I might watch.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:28 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,347 times
D' - it's all about $$ the almighty dollar. What can Kate promo now, what can Kate drops hints about now. I bet you TLC wanted to highlight the marriage conflict to get some big marriage counsler to offer up FREE services to save their marriage. What else can Kate get? I am not on the poor pity Jon wagon either but, if your treat your other half as an equal they tend to not stray. I believe that both Jon and Kate started out the first season (which I never watched) did it for the kids and knowing that they did need help finacially. Once Kate gotten bitten by the money bug it was all over there. Money is the root to all evil. I don't see how exploting your children and taking freebies was God's plan for that family. She tends to show herself so into God and her faith.....what faith? Praying for what she can get free?

Her comment about couples of multipules have a high divorce rate, then why did she let this train wreck happen, knowing the outcome. Why didn't she seek help years ago to avoid this aftermath...knowing the divorce rate was high? That's right TLC and explotion got in the way of her family life.

If TLC did anything right would be to stop the show and let these people get help and maybe follow up with them in a year or so...then in like ten years or so. Not daily.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,347 times
I bet Octo-Mom is happy right now with the lime light off her. She'll pop up again.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:07 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
you make sense--those jon worshipers aren't gonna like this!

LOL @ jon "worshippers". Just because some people cite Kate's nasty qualities does not mean they "worship" Jon Gosselin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV