Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 11:55 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I thought it was a fantastic finale, but I had one question. I know that the hosts were originally programmed not to hurt humans, but I also thought the guns that the hosts used were ineffective against humans, so if you were shot by one it just felt like rubber bullets. But then when the hosts became self-aware and self-directing (or so they think...), they start mowing people down. I know this was to show the hosts becoming self-aware, but wouldn't the technology of the guns have prevented that?
And they never run out of ammo.

I get that the gun Dolores used came from Ford so it was a "real" gun but not sure where the rest of the hosts got their weapons from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 12:24 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Watched the whole season and at times was intrigued and impressed but the after-taste of the show is very bad, I never looked forward to the next episode. Very scuzzy, too many gun fights, stabbings and gore, and no real interest in what happens to "semi-human robot" characters, even if they look as good as Evan Rachel Cook and Tandie Newton.

50/50 to watch the next season...
I agree. I'm not really feeling the show. It's not that good too me. I've watched all of the episodes except for the finale.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I agree. I'm not really feeling the show. It's not that good too me. I've watched all of the episodes except for the finale.
Well, you have until 2018 when the next season starts to not watch it.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:51 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
I found it to be 2nd best show after GOT. Set aside pointless nudity appealing to teenagers, guess they simply can't do without it. Some gimmicks probably will never disappear.
Last episode was very intriguing though I quit Arrow just for that - never ending time line jumps. I finally realized that WW is practically one big illusion and then it all does not really matter, I simply WATCH it. It's nicely done. Just like I watch un - dubbed Chinese martial arts movies. Storyline is always same dumb, so who gives, I watch fighting scenes, that's it.
I think, people take shows way too seriously, expecting some deep wisdom in them. They are just fairy tales. There are much deeper shows out there, if you want to. Black Mirror. House of Cards.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:40 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
As much as I enjoyed the show, it is still lacking in a compelling factor.

For a TV show to remain compelling, it needs two things: Characters we care about, and an engaging plot.

Dr. Ford, Delores, and Bernard definitely held my attention. The plot ... ? I think they were going for intriguing but ended up confusing. The writers are trying so desperately hard to be clever and give us constant surprises that rather than give us a fun maze, they've given us a bit of a twisted knot.

There's an old truism: If you have to explain a joke, then it isn't funny. The WW writers should think a lot about that. If you have to explain your story after it's over, then the writing failed on some fundamental level. There is a difference between not tying up every loose end (which is good), and leaving your audience confused (which is bad). I shouldn't have to go back and rewatch from episode 1, taking notes the whole time, just to figure out what just happened.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
As much as I enjoyed the show, it is still lacking in a compelling factor.

For a TV show to remain compelling, it needs two things: Characters we care about, and an engaging plot.

Dr. Ford, Delores, and Bernard definitely held my attention. The plot ... ? I think they were going for intriguing but ended up confusing. The writers are trying so desperately hard to be clever and give us constant surprises that rather than give us a fun maze, they've given us a bit of a twisted knot.

There's an old truism: If you have to explain a joke, then it isn't funny. The WW writers should think a lot about that. If you have to explain your story after it's over, then the writing failed on some fundamental level. There is a difference between not tying up every loose end (which is good), and leaving your audience confused (which is bad). I shouldn't have to go back and rewatch from episode 1, taking notes the whole time, just to figure out what just happened.
I agree. Especially when the explanation turned out to be pretty simplistic.
I'm just watching to see hosts kill kill kill ... ala Jurassic Park.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:46 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I agree. Especially when the explanation turned out to be pretty simplistic.
I'm just watching to see hosts kill kill kill ... ala Jurassic Park.
The theme of the ending also left me a bit baffled.

Arnold apparently believed that at least some of the hosts (like Delores) were on the verge of true consciousness. But why do Delores and the other hosts start killing everyone? Because they were programmed to do so.

The only thing the ending told us is that Ford is a murderer. The robots are still robots.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The theme of the ending also left me a bit baffled.

Arnold apparently believed that at least some of the hosts (like Delores) were on the verge of true consciousness. But why do Delores and the other hosts start killing everyone? Because they were programmed to do so.

The only thing the ending told us is that Ford is a murderer. The robots are still robots.
And that all it took for their "awakening" was lots of accumulated suffering.

I think Ford also realized that his partner, Arnold, was right and that the hosts and its technology shouldn't be further developed and released into the real world so he orchestrated the mass murder of the Board members so noone would touch neither the park, its concept, and its tech with a 10-foot pole. I guess the hosts are supposed to kill themselves after the mission is accomplished ala Delores after she killed Arnold years ago?

Old 12-08-2016, 07:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
And that all it took for their "awakening" was lots of accumulated suffering
I read a post on Reddit that pointed out that it wasn't simply suffering, because all the hosts presumably get their share of that in all forms, yet those hosts have not all awakened. The poster said it was a specific form of suffering, the state of grief that was the key. Bernard grieving his son, and Maeve grieving her daughter. Anyway, thought the idea was interesting.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:13 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Yeah I rather enjoyed it. As a person that watches a TON of movies and television, I've never been very good at seeing plot twists coming

But I enjoyed Westworld dragging us through all kinds of confusing conversations and timelines. One of my favorite things to do after watching a show like this is hopping online and reading all the theories and discussions about it.

I very much enjoyed this show, and bummed that we won't get S2 until 2018
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV