Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:18 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,400,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Keeping in mind that even the fastest of the Roku sticks are slower than the Roku 3 or 4.
I looked into it...

Turns out that the stick I had linked (Roku 3600R) has a quad processor, like the Roku 4, while the Roku 3 doesn't have a quad processor. So in my mind, the choice is between the latest Roku stick, and the latest Roku box.

If you want/need ethernet connectivity, 4K Ultra HD video, and a remote with voice search and an audio port, then get the latest Roku box for about $125; otherwise, get the latest Roku stick for about $50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 11:53 AM

60 posts, read 48,908 times
Ah alright, I will keep that in mind.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:56 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
Help me understand this guys...I'm thinking of getting the $35 Roku streaming stick.

I was looking around on the Roku official website, but I guess I'll have to call & actually ask them which channels of are actually free, but it seems to post it here: https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/top-free

If those are the only free channels, that just won't do for me. I have my list of TV shows I like on various channels, so if Netflix alone is almost $10/mo & I add on channel A for $6/mo, for ex, channel B for another $___, channel C for another $__/mo, etc....all that adds up to where I might as well pay my $135/mo for cable TV that I'm paying now, right?

Plus, that $135/mo included my landline phone (which I'll never give up) & internet triple bundle. This will take some thought & deeper research whether to get a Roku. It seems too good to be true, but don't get me wrong, it seems good.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:11 PM

5,248 posts, read 3,603,842 times
Roku works best if you aren't too involved with current tv shows or sports. If you are a "typical" tv watcher better check out the offerings on Roku's Sling TV & Hulu apps, they will offer the most typical broadcast tv offerings there, it's just a little.

It's best thought of as an add on for streaming movies, docs, etc... it's not a direct substitute for cable/broadcast tv programs, it can be supplemented tho with a $25 tv antenna for free HD broadcast stations. Previously I was paying $150+/mo to mostly watch news, movies & documentaries & Letterman, well he's gone & I can get CBS with the antenna anyway.

I now pay $10/Netflix + $8/Amazon + $40/internet: total $58/mo (I also bought my own modem/wifi router so no other monthly fees). There are a few free private roku apps that allow me to watch British networks which I regularly do now & Youtube has really surprised me with it's content depth - I watch it every night. And I save $90/mo... works for me but most people may prefer the current sitcoms & reality shows seen on cable tv.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:11 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronypride View Post
I own a Samsung Smart TV, it has web browser, apps etc. But I wanted to try out this new service called SlingTV. It runs through various devices like AppleTV, GoogleChromecast, Roku, XBox One, laptop, mobile phones, etc.

I was thinking of buying the Roku devices but then again why waste money on those or similar devices when I already own a Smart TV as it is, isn't having one of these devices the same thing and a waste of money?

I've been wanting to buy a PS4 and know that has its variety of apps like the XBox One does, but SlingTV has not gotten to the PS4 network yet, nor have they gone to any other smart TV company like Samsung to include their app in those companies.

So what to do? What do you think?
My smart TV came with Roku built into it. I have never heard of Sling TV.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Help me understand this guys...I'm thinking of getting the $35 Roku streaming stick.

I was looking around on the Roku official website, but I guess I'll have to call & actually ask them which channels of are actually free, but it seems to post it here: https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/top-free

If those are the only free channels, that just won't do for me. I have my list of TV shows I like on various channels, so if Netflix alone is almost $10/mo & I add on channel A for $6/mo, for ex, channel B for another $___, channel C for another $__/mo, etc....all that adds up to where I might as well pay my $135/mo for cable TV that I'm paying now, right?

Plus, that $135/mo included my landline phone (which I'll never give up) & internet triple bundle. This will take some thought & deeper research whether to get a Roku. It seems too good to be true, but don't get me wrong, it seems good.
There are a lot of free channels, most are specialty for things like westerns or mysteries or similar.
Some networks also now have free access via Roku - for example The CW. This does give you access to current programming on that channel, however, most of the "water cooler" stuff is only available via subscription.

I have a Roku 3 and I find that the monthly fee that I pay for Acorn TV particularly is well worth the cost because most of that content is not available elsewhere.

A really complete list of channels available via Roku here:

Roku Channels - List of All Channels - Cordcutting.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV