Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:19 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times

Advertisements

By the time Saturday night rolls around all I wanna do is watch a good 'saturday night movie' wth the peacock in full view.
But no such luck, no movies at all.

On NBC all I watch is Dateline, so diff than a good ole movie like the olden days.

I do watch the Hallmark movies tho, over and over and over again! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 07:36 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
If you ever find yourself in NYC, please make a point of visiting Rockefellar Center and 30 Rock. Comcast spent a fortune restoring the latter to its Art Deco glory. So, you may be wrong wrt what Comcast thinks about NBC's history.
Comcast did not restore anything. NBC is just a rent paying tenant. The owners of the building, Tishman Speyer began fixing up Rockefeller Center years before Comcast even bought NBC.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:30 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
If you ever find yourself in NYC, please make a point of visiting Rockefellar Center and 30 Rock. Comcast spent a fortune restoring the latter to its Art Deco glory. So, you may be wrong wrt what Comcast thinks about NBC's history.
There's a difference between that superficiality and a real understanding of the history of television.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:31 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Now to be clear I dont think NBC has "turned to crap" but I think it is bad any time a service provider (Comcast) becomes a production company (through their purchase of NBCU). It is usually a horrible conflict of interest.
And any time a company can orchestrate a legal conflict of interest, it is bound to be a good move on their part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
I think that this is the golden age of TV - but all of the good stuff is on cable and streaming services.
As such, talking about NBC as if USA Network doesn't exist is like saying that I lost half my belongings when I moved from a studio apartment into an apartment with a separate bedroom. Spreading out my belongings between two rooms instead of one didn't actually mean I had less.

What they are missing is a pay channel. I had always wondered whether Liberty Media would sell Starz to Universal, and I'm surprised that deal never happened and instead Starz was spun off independent in 2013. Now with it going to Lionsgate that's another opportunity lost to acquire a premium channel.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:33 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I know I am in the minority on this, but I actually find most Olympic sports intensely boring. Any time the outcome of a sport is a result of a line of people in suits holding up score cards, it no longer feels like a sport to me. It feels more like a dance recital.
Hmmm... Dance is an art form. Any time there are a line of people in suits holding up score cards, it no longer feels like art to me. It feels more like a competition.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:03 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Hmmm... Dance is an art form.
And figure skating is just dancing on ice. You're proving my point for me.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:00 AM
bUU

Quite the opposite but I suspect you won't acknowledge that.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:48 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I know I am in the minority on this, but I actually find most Olympic sports intensely boring. Any time the outcome of a sport is a result of a line of people in suits holding up score cards, it no longer feels like a sport to me. It feels more like a dance recital.

Most summer Olympic sports could be greatly improved by doing one simple thing: Add defense.

All that twirling on the rings would be a lot more exciting if another player was trying to knock the athlete off those rings.

Floor mat gymnastics would be way more exciting with a wild bull loose on the mat.
LOL And I agree. I haven't watched the Summer Olympics in a decade or more. The Winter games are a little better but I don't sit in front of the TV the whole time anymore. If they happen to be on when I flip on the TV I'll watch a while but if I miss it? Oh well, no biggie.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:57 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
NBC turned sour at about the same time as the rest of the stations.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Quite the opposite but I suspect you won't acknowledge that.
You suspect correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV