Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hulu is moving to an all-subscription model, eliminating the ad-supported service that has let users watch thousands of TV episodes in the nine years since it first launched.

At the same time, Hulu has expanded its distribution deal with Yahoo, which is launching Yahoo View, a new ad-supported TV-streaming site with the five most recent episodes of shows from ABC, NBC and Fox — eight days after original air date — as well as other network shows, day-after clips, and full seasons of anime and Korean drama series. The free Hulu service will be phased out over the next few weeks.

The moves come less than a week after Time Warner announced that it is paying $583 million to take a 10% stake in Hulu, joining existing owners Disney, 21st Century Fox and Comcast.
Hulu Ends Free Streaming Service | Variety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 03:12 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
The new robber-barons just keep finding ways to make us pay for everything, don't they...

Old 08-08-2016, 04:16 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
I have been finding Hulu not keeping up with expanded cable type shows.
I like certain networks such as animal planet, a&e, bravo and nat geo. They have been lax to add even old episodes (obviously not new) and have been deleting old episodes without replacing anything.
And talk about a bunch of @%+&ola shows to have to sift thru. Why would i want network TV if I can get networks like abc, fox, for free?
There has got to be a better way, again!

Old 08-09-2016, 03:07 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,289 times
There are too many ads anyway for the so-called 'free' service. As they say, nothings ever free. I couldn't even make it through what I was watching because it was laden with commercials. This past winter an episode of Grimm hadn't recorded well on my PVR due to bad reception so I signed of for Hulu's free trial to watch it. Have stuck around since mostly because I got addicted to watching the old seasons of Survivor and The Amazing Race, two shows I had never watched much of before. Ten and a half seasons left of TAR and I'll probably cancel Hulu after that. I do like 'The Path' so when a new season starts I might sign back up for a short time. Overall, Netflix has better offerings for my taste.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
The new robber-barons just keep finding ways to make us pay for everything, don't they...
There was no reasonable basis to assume that Hulu was not simply working to hook people on streaming video and cord-cutting, to pave the way to years of profit from their paid service. The costs of operating the free service were unequivocally an investment in the future profitability of what Hulu actually exists for. I bet that even if they turn only 5% of their free subscriber base into paid subscribers it'll be a win for them.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:33 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear
.......and they keep putting more and more spam ads even though ppl are paying!!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:31 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There was no reasonable basis to assume that Hulu was not simply working to hook people on streaming video and cord-cutting, to pave the way to years of profit from their paid service. The costs of operating the free service were unequivocally an investment in the future profitability of what Hulu actually exists for. I bet that even if they turn only 5% of their free subscriber base into paid subscribers it'll be a win for them.
No different than a heroin dealer giving away free samples.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM

777 posts, read 1,336,207 times
The free part of hulu was a big deal for me in Oregon b/c we couldn't get broadcast channels through antenna out there at all. So I just watched my episodes when hulu put them up. Of course, I eventually switched the paid, full service option so I could watch the full series of some shows. But then I moved back to CA a few months ago, I have working broadcast channels, and have been finding my subscription to hulu to be pointless. Well, except, that now I'd have to pay anyway to watch the episode of Mistresses I missed last night anyway. Meh.

I agree with what someone else said and hulu needs to add episodes of way more tv channels. Adding Freeform would be awesome since you can't watch most of their shows online anywhere. I also like a lot of the shows on A&E and Discovery, something or other. I think it was netflix that teased us with a few episodes of shows like Filthy Riches and Ice Road Truckers, and now I can't see the other episodes anywhere!

Old 08-09-2016, 05:50 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
When Youtube started having higher revenue than ABC, I realized that the days of advertising supported television were fast coming to an end. ESPN is responsible for roughly 50% of Disney's profits. Back in 1995 when Disney bought Capital Cities/ABC back in 1995 for $19 billion, the acquisition of ESPN was almost mentioned as an afterthought. Two years later a mail DVD company, Netflix was begun.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:41 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,411,370 times
That's a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV