Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:24 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
^totally agree. The show is more so about NYC in the 80s as opposed to rap music. It actually is barely about rap music come to think of it.
As someone that lived in NYC in the early to mid 80's i cant wait to watch it!
Helping my uncle lug his DJ equipment around to House/Basement parties in the 80's. Watching the 4 elements Hip Hop develop and grow in NYC was a beautiful time in my life.
I listen to mostly rock and still can relate to these kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zejyzr5vW3A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:46 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
I've watched the first two episodes, I'm enjoying the show, but it seems so schizophrenic. One scene is straight out of grease, then we jump to reservoir dogs, then it's enter the dragon...like different directors for every scene.

What really makes it for me, and a lot of the Netflix originals, is the casting. Whomever is picking these actors should get a raise.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:17 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Great musical numbers and production, solid performances (especially from the newcomers) but a bit unbelievable at times. Even then...who cares? It's great fun during a great time of music in the South Bronx.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:56 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I'll give it a look. Was looking for something new on Netflix last night and didn't notice it in the the new que which is weird.

Ended up on Amazon and watched their new pilot with Kevin Bacon. I can't even remember the name. Totally different place and storyline but to me it still had a Transparent vibe. Loved the first season of Transparent, hated the second season.
Its the neurotic NYC navel gazing intellectual vibe thing. Maybe that doesn't capture it, IDK but I don't like it.

Felt sorry about Vinyl. I really like the actor that played the lead. I was hoping this would be a big breakout for him.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:10 PM

749 posts, read 852,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
I've watched the first two episodes, I'm enjoying the show, but it seems so schizophrenic. One scene is straight out of grease, then we jump to reservoir dogs, then it's enter the dragon...like different directors for every scene.

What really makes it for me, and a lot of the Netflix originals, is the casting. Whomever is picking these actors should get a raise.
Yeah, I watched it all and it was really odd, bounced around, seemed to mix up decades and used every stereotype they could come up with. Music was ok though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV