Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:30 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times

Advertisements

And you were able to bring a TV with a few shows (With every episode; No more than 10 shows) along with an unlimited supply of power. Also, having the ability to convince others that there aren't actual people trapped inside the TV. (And hoping it doesn't get destroyed). What shows you would bring?

I would bring:

Seinfeld (My favorite sitcom)
Friends (Another great show)
Two And A Half Men (Only with Charlie Sheen. Plus single bachelors of that era can understand how good they have it)
How I Met Your Mother (Great example of dating in the 2000s.)
The Big Bang Theory (Kind of difficult for that time period to understand the science, but would find it hilarious after concepts explained)
24 (At least one good action show)
Band Of Brothers (So they can see what the U.S. military is like)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 11:14 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,965 times
Game of Thrones
Vikings

Old 08-28-2016, 07:44 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
Well since there would be no electricity to power said tv, I think nothing. Plus you would be executed for witch craft.

That being said -

Gilligan's Island

Old 08-28-2016, 08:44 AM

10,213 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well since there would be no electricity to power said tv, I think nothing. Plus you would be executed for witch craft.

That being said -

Gilligan's Island
Well, the OP did say you would have an unlimited supply of power, but yeah, my first thought was it doesn't really matter because they would probably think it's witchcraft, and even if they didn't, I highly doubt any of them would understand our modern humor, concepts, or speech. Never mind the different languages spoke throughout Europe, even in medieval England, the languages spoken were Old English and then Middle English, neither of which are mutually intelligible with Modern English. Then you have the cultural issues of them not understanding what a refrigerator is, or a telephone, etc. Any show which includes these things wouldn't make any sense to them. And most of the shows the OP picked out were comedies - do you really think they would understand our humor?

And even if we pretend there was no language or cultural barrier, even if we pretend they "get" our sense of humor or aren't too busy asking what a car is to pay attention to the story of the show, then what is the point of showing it to them? If they understand everything, it's no different from a modern person seeing the show.

I think I would be more likely to give them books on philosophy, religion, medicine, and politics which hadn't been written or published yet. Introduce to modern concepts that actually apply to their world. Of course, that could change the course of history but that's a whole other issue...

Old 08-28-2016, 08:47 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,071,499 times
Probably the longest running shows ever.

Dr Who. The Simpsons. General Hospital. Every flavor of Law & Order.

Stuff like that.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:41 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
I would tell them that I was a Powerful Magician and show them historical dramas about earlier civilizations, and tell them I had captured them in my "Magic Box".

Then I would tell them that if they didn't pay me, and make me King of Everything, I would capture them all and put them in my box forever.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I would tell them that I was a Powerful Magician and show them historical dramas about earlier civilizations, and tell them I had captured them in my "Magic Box".

Then I would tell them that if they didn't pay me, and make me King of Everything, I would capture them all and put them in my box forever.
They might not take your 'magic' box with real good thoughts about you. It might end very very badly for you if they thought you were making the 'magic'. Some times would be curious, but medieval England would thing witchcraft and you'd wish you'd stayed home for a short while before it was over. They'd probably burn it along with you.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:37 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
And you were able to bring a TV with a few shows (With every episode; No more than 10 shows) along with an unlimited supply of power. Also, having the ability to convince others that there aren't actual people trapped inside the TV. (And hoping it doesn't get destroyed). What shows you would bring?

I would bring:

Seinfeld (My favorite sitcom)
Friends (Another great show)
Two And A Half Men (Only with Charlie Sheen. Plus single bachelors of that era can understand how good they have it)
How I Met Your Mother (Great example of dating in the 2000s.)
The Big Bang Theory (Kind of difficult for that time period to understand the science, but would find it hilarious after concepts explained)
24 (At least one good action show)
Band Of Brothers (So they can see what the U.S. military is like)
1) If I was in medieval Europe, the last thing I'd waste my time doing is watching television programs.

2) If you tried to play such programs on some sort of device, you'd almost certainly find yourself burned at the stake or hanged/drawn/quartered or some other sort of very imaginative and and extremely excruciating manner of execution, after being 'convicted' (such as it were) of sorcery and/or blasphemy.

3) No one in medieval Europe - not even England - could understand the modern English spoken in those programs. They would utterly lack the cultural capacity to understand the humor. And in a pre-industrial, feudal era, the action/military programs would be meaningless to them.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:00 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
They might not take your 'magic' box with real good thoughts about you. It might end very very badly for you if they thought you were making the 'magic'. Some times would be curious, but medieval England would thing witchcraft and you'd wish you'd stayed home for a short while before it was over. They'd probably burn it along with you.
Even if you had the skills to convince them otherwise?

Old 08-28-2016, 09:01 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times
I think I would bring reality shows. I'm not sure why but I think they would find them entertaining.

1. The Real World
2. American Idol
3. Naked and Afraid

I'd also bring a few teen dramas so I can be entertained as well.

4. The O.C.
5. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
6. One Tree Hill
7. Dawson's Creek
8. Gossip Girl

And a few shows that seemed to go on forever.

9. The Simpsons
10. American Dad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV