Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 01:32 PM

4,338 posts, read 4,695,102 times

Advertisements

I like the convenience of DVR and having multiple TVs and boxes (living room, kitchen, 3rd floor workout room). I rarely watch anything IRT but tape a lot of different TV shows and watch them at my convenience.

Also, I have the money to pay for it (and everything else I want to spend my money on).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 01:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,434,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Then why are you here? The whole point of the board as a whole let alone this thread is discussing why you do what you do or like what you like. It is just framed differently to fit each subject.
Sorry, but you're off base. The OP, in his first sentence already stated that people pay because it's their choice and their personal business. At that point, the OP already had his answer. Yet, he persisted in asking why. Since the basics had been covered, I provided my answer.

Ultimately, the answer is what the OP stated in his first sentence.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:27 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,899,787 times
The townhouse community I live in used to have it's own satellite many years ago and all the units were wired up to it. When Time Warner came along, they gave us a deal since they saved on the wiring. Consequently, my 300mb internet service PLUS the DVR and every premium channel they offer costs me a whopping $ 105 per month. Can't beat that. I also have Netflix for the occasional series I watch there and I can stream Amazon Prime movies from my TV. Oddly, I don't watch much TV, maybe an hour or two a night. But it's there when I want it.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,348,196 times
I think it's just a matter of preference and what someone's budget allows. Some people might want to spend their money on dining out at fine restaurants or taking trips. Others might want to spend their money on cable and whatever it has to offer them.

Older TV's like mine which is analog can't support the new devices. ROKU's older boxes for them are limited in what they offer. Cable can offer it all and as much as one wants no matter what type of TV one has.

The alternatives to cable may be cheaper but if people can afford cable and are happy with it they probably aren't too concerned about the cost.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:47 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,102,575 times
As expensive as TV is, it's actually a pretty good deal. If 2 people go out to dinner and a movie you're looking at close to $100 spent in a matter of 3-4 hours. I can get an entire month of cable TV service including all the premium channels for about $150/month. I watch a lot of TV, so for me it's actually a pretty good deal.

Netflix is WAY overrated. Their online streaming selection of shows and movies is severely lacking, and I'm not going to wait around while sending DVDs back and forth through the mail.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:54 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,943,051 times
Because it's easy and familiar. Many people are resistant to change.

I love the ability to watch on-demand. I am addicted to binge watching. What's not to like about one episode after another with no commercials? I have no regrets about dumping cable at all. I may have had 200 channels but most of them were infomercials or trying to sell me something! Very little real programming.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,686,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Sorry, but you're off base. The OP, in his first sentence already stated that people pay because it's their choice and their personal business. At that point, the OP already had his answer. Yet, he persisted in asking why. Since the basics had been covered, I provided my answer.

Ultimately, the answer is what the OP stated in his first sentence.
To which you replied "I don't have to discuss or justify my choices to strangers on the internet". That is the whole point of a message board. People go there to discuss and/or justify their choices. I don't think I am off base at all by asking "why are you here" if that isnt something you are into.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:17 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,193,155 times
Many reasons.

One, I love TV. I like broadcast TV, I like cable, I like premium cable. Love the series, the sitcoms, everything.

Two, all the streaming services together still can't match what's aired. There's always some show that you can't get. Or you can't get it for a week, or a season, or whatever. And I like to watch it when it's current.

Three, I spend a lot of time at my ranch. I'm mostly off the grid other than electricity. So no broadband, no unlimited streaming. DirecTV is the only way to watch TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I like the convenience of DVR and having multiple TVs and boxes (living room, kitchen, 3rd floor workout room). I rarely watch anything IRT but tape a lot of different TV shows and watch them at my convenience.

Also, I have the money to pay for it (and everything else I want to spend my money on).
All of what you said. At my ranch, I have DirecTV Genie and the minis so I can watch all over the house. In town, I have TiVo (on a Comcast feed) so I can watch all over the house. And hardly ever live, almost always recorded, even if I have to wait a few minutes just so I can skip commercials.

It's my money, and I love to spend it on TV. BTW, I also have Netflix and other pay streaming, but I still prefer DirecTV & TiVo, so I can FF/REW.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,457,276 times
It's hard to cut the cord if you like a lot of TV movies. I said for 3-4 years in a row 'I'm cancelling when I'm up for renewal' and then got scared. Which seems ridiculous not, but I was. I like broadcast shows, premium cable shows, and I love movies. Including those I've seen before but want to again.

I was 'afraid' of not finding my favorites/not finding enough to watch. I finally had to just jump overboard with an antenna, Netflix, and Hulu plus and lo and behold it wasn't traumatic at all. I think I have MORE to watch now.

I might have to wait for some shows but who cares? They will appear on one of the above or Prime.

I can always get a premium cable channel 'a la carte' for a month and binge the show I like if I don't feel like waiting.

Like I want 'The Leftovers', so I will probably get HBO NOW the last month it's on and watch it along with other shows and movies they have.

Anyway, some are afraid, habits are hard to change, technology for some is unfamiliar,,,,,,it took a long time for us to get older family members onto streaming. They barely work their computers and phones so they certainly don't want to mess with that.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:21 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,442,141 times
I hear people whine about how much they pay but they are also afraid to cut the cord. I cut the cord years ago and never looked back. My free channels along with my Roku are all I need. If I want to watch a certain show that is only on cable, I then pay amazon for the privilege which is still much cheaper than paying for crap I never watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV