Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 05:58 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Somewhere in my garage is a series of Shatner 8 track tapes that my kids gave me as a gift. Think there were 5 or 6 tapes, unknown how many shows on each. Hmmmm
8 tracks are audio only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 07:03 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I caught an episode of Star Trek last night on BBC America last night. I haven't seen an episode since they aired the first time around! We didn't have color tv when I was growing up. My first was in 1983! Seeing it in color was a shock! Everything looked so tacky and fake but it was fun to watch.

Anywho, I couldn't stay awake for another episode but I heard the intro for it, the haunting music. That brought a bit of trivia up in my brain that I heard many years ago......"whose voice do we hear "singing" in the introduction to Star Trek?" I know the answer, want to see how many others do too.
Are you talking about the wordless vocal used on the original pilot, The Cage or the original them for Star Trek: Enterprise

Old 09-17-2016, 08:06 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
'

Sorry, I've been off-shift, lol. Loulie Jean Norman did the vocalization for TOS. They dropped her the second year, because they were too cheap to keep paying her residuals.

The enhanced version of TOS out now, restored the original version of the song.
Thank you, bingo.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:05 PM

950 posts, read 692,035 times
The first time that I saw T.O.S. back in the 60s, I thought mistakenly that Spock had No emotions. That mistaken thought was reinforced in the Harry Mudd episode where several ladies have a Venus drug which makes them Irresistible to men. When Mudd and the ladies are in an elevator with Spock, Mudd tells the ladies "Don't waste your time on Spock. He's a Vulcan."
So for a while, I thought that Spock had No emotions. Then I saw the episode about the Babel Conference where his half-human origin is explained along with the anguish he had suffered during his youth. So Spock strives to submerge his human-half by overcompensating with his extreme coldness.
This is what made Spock the most realistic ET to me. So I don't see the appeal of TNG's Mr. Data at all. My point is that the whole idea of Mr. Data is that he's an android trying to learn emotions. That idea is so overworn a cliché as robots trying to learn emotions is one of the oldest clichés in science-fiction. On the other hand, the characterization of Spock was something new and different in comparison.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:36 PM

22,919 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
The first time that I saw T.O.S. back in the 60s, I thought mistakenly that Spock had No emotions. That mistaken thought was reinforced in the Harry Mudd episode where several ladies have a Venus drug which makes them Irresistible to men. When Mudd and the ladies are in an elevator with Spock, Mudd tells the ladies "Don't waste your time on Spock. He's a Vulcan."
So for a while, I thought that Spock had No emotions. Then I saw the episode about the Babel Conference where his half-human origin is explained along with the anguish he had suffered during his youth. So Spock strives to submerge his human-half by overcompensating with his extreme coldness.
This is what made Spock the most realistic ET to me. So I don't see the appeal of TNG's Mr. Data at all. My point is that the whole idea of Mr. Data is that he's an android trying to learn emotions. That idea is so overworn a cliché as robots trying to learn emotions is one of the oldest clichés in science-fiction. On the other hand, the characterization of Spock was something new and different in comparison.
All Vulcans have emotions. In fact, they are much stronger than human emotions --- which is why the culture has embraced Logic. They strive to base all actions and decisions on Logic because emotion is so unreliable. Emotions are suppressed, but they are still there.

Data was Pinocchio. He was fun, because Brent Spiner played him with such charm. But original? No.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:03 PM

950 posts, read 692,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
All Vulcans have emotions. In fact, they are much stronger than human emotions --- which is why the culture has embraced Logic. They strive to base all actions and decisions on Logic because emotion is so unreliable. Emotions are suppressed, but they are still there.

Granted, some vestigial emotions are still there among most Vulcans, but some Vulcans also practice Kolinahr by which some of them succeed at a total purge, totally purging themselves of even the vestigial emotions. It's known as Kolinahr.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:12 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times
its one of the greatest shows that was ever made, perfect casting shlocky but accepatable effects and great story line.it made you think and at times made you laugh.H&I channel is showing them every weekday.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I've been watching the new remastered origional on BBCA today and its so amazing to see these shows again with a clear picture and not completely chopped to death. I pretty much memoriezed them before, but don't remember all the details (well, just most of them, and as this appears to have everything, the missing scenes are appreciated.) I'm recording them for a big watch too. If only I knew how to go from Recordings on the box to a dvd....

DS9 is still my favorite, but I think in part because it feels much more like the origional than TNG. I think Kirk would *like* Sisko and they'd work well together. My favorite Picard is when the war version, mostly in the books, where he has to think on his feet and there aren't any rules. Watching the TOS episodes, I keep thinking of how well Kirk would have done then too.

I'm one of the fans who started being one when the very first episode was shown. My friends and I all watched it and we created our own trek world on reel to reel tape. I got Mom to let me go to the very second trek con too and fandom stuck forever. And as good as the other shows and movies have been, TOS started it all.

It's funny, I still remember most of the dialog and can talk it along with them. And knowing the whole story, there's time for admiring how *good* the writing is. I'm hoping the restored episodes come out on dvd/download/laserdisk since I'd love to add them to my library.

I just may shell out something to Dish to add BBCA to my package, with so much to watch (not just trek).

Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I've been watching them on H&I. I've gone back to old habits of 40 years ago, when Star Trek TOS was on M-F once a day, then later the station added a second airing at 11 PM, and I would just "check" to see which one was on. This was after I had seen all of them a dozen times and could recite the dialog. However, at the time, I didn't get to see all of the episodes in color. Watching them now, the ones that I had never seen before in color, blows me away. I didn't realize how many walls were purple . I have seen all episodes of DS9, TNG, and Voyager, but most of them only once or twice. Some of these seem "new" to me because I only vaguely remember them.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Maybe I'm too much of a nerd, but I'm surprised there is no thread on this. Star Trek is such an iconic show and the franchise is still going strong. What is your favorite TOS show if you have one?

For me, it's a tough choice as in torn between "Space Seed" (where we first meet Khan, one of my favorite villains) and "Balance of Terror" (where we first meet the Romulans and the plot is reminiscent of a WW2 U-boat hunt). In both I enjoy the plot line but also the depth of character.
Balance of Terror was good, but City on the Edge of Forever was the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV