Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 06:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times

Advertisements

(w/o a cable subscription). I don't think I can bear waiting for the Walking Dead. It's too fun to talk to everyone about.

It's $41 to buy the season from Amazon.

I have less than a month to decide whether I save $5 buy buying the whole season or gambling $5 by buying one epi at a time in case AMC streaming becomes available.

I know it's only $5. But. It would save a LOT to just stream AMC probably.

Or maybe not since the show runs for so many months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 05:58 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
Why would anyone buy cable then if the cable companies just allowed you to stream for free? They'd never make any money. If you want paid programming, you have to pay for it.

I say buy the season pass on Amazon because free streaming won't come any time soon.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:00 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Jencam, there's a service called sling.com which I believe carries AMC programming. It didn't work well on my computer, so I quit it. But I was able to get USA and TNT before I gave up on it. I've read that it works better with one of those gizmos you attach to the USB port on your TV. It's 19.95 or 24.95 a month, and they offer a month's free trial.

I wish it were possible just to get TNT, USA, AMC, and FX. There are no other stations I want to watch on that tier of cable.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:09 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Jencam, there's a service called sling.com which I believe carries AMC programming. It didn't work well on my computer, so I quit it. But I was able to get USA and TNT before I gave up on it. I've read that it works better with one of those gizmos you attach to the USB port on your TV. It's 19.95 or 24.95 a month, and they offer a month's free trial.

I wish it were possible just to get TNT, USA, AMC, and FX. There are no other stations I want to watch on that tier of cable.
Sling works OK on my Amazon Fire Stick but not so great on the X-Box. We use the Playstation Vue app on the fire stick and that works pretty good. it's got AMC so we are all set for the Walking Dead.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:14 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Sling or Vue

Old 10-03-2016, 01:41 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
The full season is $27 on Google for SD or $41 for HD.

Jay, you can get all of those chanels you wanted on the Sling Roku app for $25 pm

Old 10-03-2016, 02:14 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Crazy how people think they are entitled to something for free. AMC is a pay for viewing station. They do not broadcast over the air like NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. Streaming is available for those with a cable subscription so that if you are traveling, you can still watch your favorite shows. Just because a channel has a streaming app doesn't mean that it should be free for everyone. Either keep your cable, buy the series subscription, or buy a device that allows for streaming of AMC.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:25 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,005 times
Do you have just the basic Amazon membership, or are you a Prime member? I don't think paying or not has anything to do with whether it's a cable channel; I get HBO, FX, USA, and other cable channels as a Prime member without paying anything additional outside of my yearly Amazon Prime membership fee. The only thing I pay extra for is Showtime, because I was faithfully watching Ray Donovan, Homeland, and The Affair prior to getting rid of cable. And it's only $7.99 per month which is still half of what it was costing me when I had Showtime with TWC.

I think it's whatever the agreement Amazon has with said channel; I don't think the terms are all the same. For instance, I watched all five seasons of Suits on USA for free, but when I got to the sixth season, I had to pay. I'm sure if I had waited a bit more time, I would have been able to watch it for free as well. I can watch some shows from HBO free, but not all. Like The Walking Dead season 1 and 2 are free on Amazon, but beyond that you have to pay. So again, I think it's just all about whatever agreement Netflix, Hulu or Amazon makes with these cable channels...

Old 10-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Why would anyone buy cable then if the cable companies just allowed you to stream for free? They'd never make any money. If you want paid programming, you have to pay for it.

I say buy the season pass on Amazon because free streaming won't come any time soon.
I didn't say free. One can get HBO, Showtime, etc. 'a la carte' and pay for it.

But, I've realized that paying for AMC for 6 months wouldn't even be cheaper than buying TWD on amazon.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Do you have just the basic Amazon membership, or are you a Prime member? I don't think paying or not has anything to do with whether it's a cable channel; I get HBO, FX, USA, and other cable channels as a Prime member without paying anything additional outside of my yearly Amazon Prime membership fee. The only thing I pay extra for is Showtime, because I was faithfully watching Ray Donovan, Homeland, and The Affair prior to getting rid of cable. And it's only $7.99 per month which is still half of what it was costing me when I had Showtime with TWC.

I think it's whatever the agreement Amazon has with said channel; I don't think the terms are all the same. For instance, I watched all five seasons of Suits on USA for free, but when I got to the sixth season, I had to pay. I'm sure if I had waited a bit more time, I would have been able to watch it for free as well. I can watch some shows from HBO free, but not all. Like The Walking Dead season 1 and 2 are free on Amazon, but beyond that you have to pay. So again, I think it's just all about whatever agreement Netflix, Hulu or Amazon makes with these cable channels...
I wish HBO was free with Prime! There are only a few HBO shows that are over. And they don't even have the last season of True Blood Yet. Just 1-6.

I didn't know FX shows are there - I will take a peek.

I am really trying to be miserly with paying extra for anything. I don't have to watch Shameless and the Affair as they air, I can get one month and binge them plus Ray Donovan maybe.

But Homeland? With Quinn's life on the line? I probably won't be able to wait for that. I will probably have showtime for three months for that.

(Plus the movies they will have on then).

I want to watch The Leftovers on HBO, but I also want something to freaking watch when the shows on Brodcast take a break, so I may get HBO in December for one month and try not to get sucked into the Leftovers when it starts up.

Not sure how to juggle all that yet ..... I'm a little spoiled with this being my first year w/o cable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV