Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are your favorites to watch, past and present
The Price Is Right 14 24.14%
Jeopardy! 31 53.45%
Wheel of Fortune 13 22.41%
Deal or No Deal 3 5.17%
Let's Make A Deal 13 22.41%
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire 14 24.14%
Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? 4 6.90%
Catch 21 3 5.17%
Pyramid 7 12.07%
Match Game 18 31.03%
Family Feud 19 32.76%
Power of 10 0 0%
The Face Is Familiar 0 0%
Bingo America 1 1.72%
The Money List 0 0%
Celebrity Name Game 1 1.72%
The Moment of Truth 0 0%
Password/Password Plus/Super Password/Million Dollar Password 11 18.97%
Press Your Luck/Whammy! The All New Press Your Luck 5 8.62%
The Singing Bee 0 0%
1 vs 100 1 1.72%
Three for the Money 0 0%
Sports Challenge 0 0%
Lingo 0 0%
Stump the Schwab 0 0%
Trump Card 0 0%
To Tell The Truth 9 15.52%
The Newlywed Game 12 20.69%
Chain Reaction 1 1.72%
Don't Forget The Lyrics! 0 0%
other 19 32.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 05:26 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times

Advertisements

I really enjoyed watching game shows when I was younger. My favorite game shows are Jeopardy, Family Feud, Wheel of Fortune, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Deal or No Deal, The Price Is Right, and Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader but the game show I like the most is The Price Is Right. That's my favorite game show because you bid on prizes and if you guess the correct price on each prize you win them.

My favorite old time game shows were Match Game (hosted by Gene Rayburn) and Pyramid (hosted by Dick Clark).

What are your favorite game shows to watch, past or present?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 06:21 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Millionaire....with Regis Philbin as host.

Are you Smarter ....with Jeff Foxworthy as host

Jeopardy ....with Alex Trebek as host

The Price Is Right ....with Bob Barker as host

Family Feud ....with Richard Dawson as host

I think the right host is as important as the game.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:40 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I miss ceramic dalmatians.

Your list is too "new." You left out Queen for a Day, the 64,000 question, To Tell the Truth, Truth or Consequences, What's My Line, Concentration, I've Got a Secret, Press Your Luck, about 100 other shows hosted by Bill Cullen. I'd like to see old reruns of The Dating Game because so many of those contestants went on to become celebrities. The 1950s had a lot of game shows. What was the one with Johnny Carson?

Old 10-22-2016, 05:28 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
I always liked Match Game when I was a kid, Win Ben Stein's Money was good too.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:46 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I always liked Match Game when I was a kid, Win Ben Stein's Money was good too.
Ah, yes.. Win Ben Stein's Money.. Great concept and great host/co-host.. The interaction between Kimmel and Stein was great.

Another odd, but good game show was "Remote Control' on MTV back in the day.

TPIR though, is the best ever. However, I have MAYBE watched it once or twice since Drew Carey took over. There's just no comparison with the old Bob Barker shows. And the older and crotchety-er Bob got, the better it was.

Jeopardy is probably the best quiz show so far as the difficulty. But, it's just too snooty. 5th Grader, Millionaire.. Those shows were entertaining, but they both had astoundingly simple questions up to the highest levels.

Deal or No Deal, there was no skill or knowledge involved in that Not that it couldn't be entertaining. There's something to be said for schadenfreude

Press Your Luck was probably the best of the 'random luck' shows.. And, that's in quotes because of Larson. He turned it into a show of skill, for one episode at least. But the production was great on that show and Tomarken (Sad story with Tomarken) was a great game show host. Whammy just couldn't recapture that magic.

The Dating Game was just freaking creepy. Newlywed Game.. I never really watched that when it was on.. But watching youtube clips of it.. It was an odd show.

Match Game with Rayburn was great. But any of the remakes after the 70's weren't good.

I always liked The Joker's Wild and Tic-Tac-Dough.

Hollywood Squares was good in moderation.

Scrabble with Chuck Woolery was decent.

Family Feud is another show that, in moderation, was good.. Dawson episodes were generally good.. I liked Ray Combs (Now that's another sad story.. Read up on that one) but then you had O'Hurley and Karn and Louie Anderson episodes that were pretty bad. Steve Harvey does pretty good with it now.

I generally don't like 'gimmick' game shows. And GSN was the king of those. Whatever the Money Drop one was.. Russian Roulette.. Most of their produced game shows were pretty awful.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:59 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
Card Sharks, always wanted to see someone get good cards on the end game, so they could double the whole way through.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:03 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,766,376 times
Wheel of Fortune got my vote. While I'm glad they held onto Pat and Vanna, I kinda miss the showroom days. My memory goes all the way back to the mid-late 70s when game shows ruled daytime TV. Some of my faves were The Joker's Wild, Tic Tac Dough, Classic Concentration from the 80s, all versions of Hollywood Squares, the original Match Game with Gene Rayburn, a short lived mid-late 80s show called Couch Potatoes and being an 80s kid Double Dare

Old 10-23-2016, 11:19 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Jeopardy is my favorite. It's simple and reliable.

Price is Right reminds me of my childhood being sick at home from school and being able to watch it.

Family Feud is great because of the host. Steve Harvey is so fun and entertaining.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:28 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
My other is the old CONCENTRATION. Loved watching it every late morning before I left for school--had a splitday schedule and went 11:00 pm--4:40 pm

Old 10-24-2016, 05:39 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Millionaire....with Regis Philbin as host.

Are you Smarter ....with Jeff Foxworthy as host

Jeopardy ....with Alex Trebek as host

The Price Is Right ....with Bob Barker as host

Family Feud ....with Richard Dawson as host

I think the right host is as important as the game.
Agreed. Family Feud is my favorite. It was a really fun game show to watch years ago until Steve Harvey became host. He destroyed the show and made it trashy, IMO. I was a big fan of The Price is Right, also. Although I liked Bob Barker, Drew Carey has really stepped up and made a good replacement host. I liked Wheel of Fortune back in the days of yore, but they made the game too complicated with the strange types of puzzles and choosing the letters for the contestants final puzzle (R,S,T,L,N,E). It's a silly game show now and it's much harder for contestants to win than years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV