Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:40 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times

Advertisements

Anyone try this streaming service yet? I was planning on signing up for the 7 day free trial to see how it worked.

It's separate from DirecTV, the satellite service, but both are owned by AT&T
Subscribers can watch numerous live TV channels using their Internet connection
Prices range from $35 to $70 per month, depending on channels (see below)
A channel package that normally costs $60 per month is discounted to $35 for a limited time
One you download the app or visit the web site, you can watch on a TV, a mobile device like a phone or tablet, or a computer
To watch on a TV, you'll need an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, an Apple TV, a Chromecast (Android at launch; iOS in 2017), or a Google Cast-enabled TV (like LeEco or Vizio SmartCast TVs)
To watch on a computer, you can use Internet Explorer, Chrome or Safari web browsers
You can also watch on any any iPhone, iPad or Android phone or tablet
Roku, Amazon Fire tablet and additional Smart TV support is coming in 2017
Subscribers to AT&T's cell phone service can watch without using their mobile data; Subscribers to other services use mobile data as normal
There's a free 7-day trial available
There's no contract or early termination fee, so you can cancel at any time
It's available as of November 30
It's only available in the United States

How can I stream DirecTV Now?
Here’s what you don’t need: a satellite dish or DirecTV box hooked up to your TV. Instead, DirecTV Now requires only an internet connection and any of the following gadgets or web browsers:

Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
Android smartphones and tablets
Apple TV
Chromecast (Android at launch, iOS in 2017)
Google Cast on supported Vizio and LeEco televisions
Google Chrome
Internet Explorer
iPad
iPhone
Safari
Roku is an obvious omission from that list, but AT&T says it will bring DirecTV Now to the popular streaming line in 2017 — probably much sooner in the year than later.

How many simultaneous streams are allowed?
Just two devices can watch at the same time. That’s pretty unfortunate if you want DirecTV Now to be the one and only TV solution for an entire family. If one person’s watching on the TV and anyone else is streaming from a smartphone, tablet, or laptop, then that’s it. It might take some coordination if several people live in your house or apartment.

Can I watch live programming from ABC, FOX, and NBC?
Much like PlayStation Vue, the answer to this question depends on where you live. If it’s in a city where the networks own and operate the local stations, you’re good to go. But in cities where those channels are run by affiliates — and that’s a lot of places — you won’t see live shows and can only access stuff on-demand the day after it originally airs. Unlike PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now’s monthly subscriptions cost the same regardless of whether or not you’ll have access to live network programming. So you’ll want to research this before signing up.

What about football and regional sports channels?
DirecTV Now does not carry NFL Sunday Ticket or the Red Zone channel. If a game is on a channel that Now does stream, you should be able to tune in. Blackout rules apply, and Verizon maintains its exclusive streaming rights on smartphones, so you can’t watch the NFL there. Your TV or laptop should work fine, though.

Availability of regional sports networks will vary by your location; the YES network is part of DirecTV Now in New York, for example. AT&T says these are offered in other areas of the US:

Comcast SportsNet: Bay Area, California, Chicago, Mid-Atlantic, New England
Fox Sports: Southeast and Sun
FSN Arizona, Cincinnati, Detroit, Florida, Midwest, North, Ohio, San Diego, South, Southwest and West
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 01:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
2 important things to note:

There is no dvr of any kind associated with it (may change in the near future) and there is no CBS

Old 11-30-2016, 01:37 PM

Channel List:

https://i0.wp.com/cordcuttersnews.co...UB3.jpg?w=1190

Old 11-30-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
2 important things to note:

There is no dvr of any kind associated with it (may change in the near future) and there is no CBS
Right but alot of the channels are Video on Demand

Old 11-30-2016, 01:48 PM

524 posts, read 574,698 times
Not until it works on Roku and has a DVR. The husband will not watch commercials and he is willing to spend $40 more a month to avoid them, so we need to think of some other DVR solution.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:59 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
As a DTV customer of 9 years, this sounds really interesting.

However as a few folks have already said, the DVR is a big thing. Only peasants watch commercials

Give it another year or two once a few more nifty features are with it and I'm on board.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:48 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times
Can you use it with a wi-fi connection?

Old 12-01-2016, 03:13 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
However as a few folks have already said, the DVR is a big thing. Only peasants watch commercials
SlingTV has announced that they will be adding a DVR function to their service. But I am fairly certain that the fast forward button will be disabled.

Quote:
Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984), also known as the “Betamax case”, is a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States which ruled that the making of individual copies of complete television shows for purposes of time shifting does not constitute copyright infringement, but is fair use. The Court also ruled that the manufacturers of home video recording devices, such as Betamax or other VCRs (referred to as VTRs in the case), cannot be liable for infringement.
Physical DVR's are permitted by this 1984 case, but I doubt that the networks are going to sell their shows to a service that permits consumers to skip their commercials. That is half their bread and butter. They can't be profitable on subscriber fees alone.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Can you use it with a wi-fi connection?
Yes as long as you can get a connection through one of the streaming devices you will be able to have access to the DirectTV Now app.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:26 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I'm new to Direct TV. I prefer not to have pay TV, but I have little to know reception without it If anything bothers me the most besides the price of it is the employees. I have had two dealings now with them coming to my house. I was not comfortable with the calibre of techs Direct TV sent. I think they were a contract company hired by Direct. Not professional at all, poor quality of installation. One sat on my couch and talked on his phone doing personal business. Saying he wasn't supposed to be working that day. He Didn't complete job properly, requiring me to climb a ladder and close up the attic. I called AT&T about this and was told it was unacceptable behaviour, and the contractor would be notified of such. All the cables were left hanging out and crawl space left open. The wind got in the open space and pushed out the porch roof.

I dread the thought of having technical problems and have to call direct for a service call. Quality employees seems to be in short supply in some businesses today. So I guess the customer suffers and that's ok with these companies.

Personally I think AT&T made a mistake buying Direct TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV