Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 01:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful1 View Post

What Zeke knew - and hoped to keep quiet - was that in our society, being gay is pretty much accepted - but, being transgender is regarded differently. We have had a few decades of public exposure to homosexuality; sufficient time to mull it over and come to enough of an understanding to accept that "This is the way it is". Transgender, on the other hand - is a waay more recent paradigm; one that is presently viewed with some scepticism. Much of society's "take" on this goes like this: You are born gay and have no choice in the matter, but claiming a different gender identity is a matter of choice. Varner was quite aware of this and mistakenly thought that outing Zeke would cause him to be diminished in the eyes of the tribe-mates.
I got a different impression of this. I think that Varner wasn't trying to make anyone think less of Zeke because he is transgender but rather he was trying to make a point out of the fact that Zeke was withholding information Varner believed everyone should have been told.

I think in Varner's mind, it was the deception and not the content of the deception with which he was trying to discredit Zeke. Right after Varner made the statement about how Zeke had "deceived them," you could hear people shouting that it was not a deception because it had nothing to do with the game. Varner looked shocked. He realized what he had done and his attempt at damage control just made it worse.

It was very stupid of Varner. Stupid and shallow. No matter how he meant it he never should have brought it into the game. There is something seriously wrong with his thinking in which he didn't give a second thought to what he was saying in order to discredit someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 01:33 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I actually thought that Zeke had a good chance of winning the game. Sort of a "nerdy city guy triumphs over his fears" story ala Cochran. As of now, though, he's a dead man IMO. As a previous poster stated, NOBODY could weave a better story or tug on the heart strings when it comes to the final vote. Also, these days, nobody on the jury would want to be labeled transphobic for voting against him. Too bad for Zeke, he's in a lose-lose situation.
Well, #1, I don't think Zeke would do that. He's gone to great lengths just to be "Zeke", and not "Zeke the transgendered person".... But, after last season when Adam exploited his dying mother to win the game, I suppose nothing would surprise me.

#2, when you think about it, his fellow players are in a lose-lose situation as well. If they don't vote him out, they'll be accused of being politically correct and only taking him because he's trans. If they do vote him out, they'll be accused of being transphobic.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriMurph View Post
So help me out here.... He was born a female and likes men? Or is being a gay man just a cover story and he really likes females? Why, then, would he (she) choose to become a man, who would then be gay?
LOL, my friend, it's best not to go down this rabbit hole. Not in this thread, anyway.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Sarah's tearful reaction to Zeke's outing was actually foul. She felt grateful to have known Zeke before she knew he was transsexual, why? because she can't help thinking being trans is bad.

Several other contestants including Zeke and Ozzie picked up on that and frowned.
Yeah, I think you read that situation wrong. Sarah was saying she was glad she got to know Zeke for who he was as a person, and that if she had known that he was transgender before she got to know him, that might have colored her perception of him. She admits that would have been wrong, and that she learned something from all of this.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:53 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Well, #1, I don't think Zeke would do that. He's gone to great lengths just to be "Zeke", and not "Zeke the transgendered person".... But, after last season when Adam exploited his dying mother to win the game, I suppose nothing would surprise me.

#2, when you think about it, his fellow players are in a lose-lose situation as well. If they don't vote him out, they'll be accused of being politically correct and only taking him because he's trans. If they do vote him out, they'll be accused of being transphobic.
It very well could be that Zeke wouldn't do that. And I agree he does seem like the type that won't use that as a "crutch" he had to work around and still make it to the end.

However, there will be the perception by others that he has this great, tug-on-the-heartstrings story and just having that out there could make them refuse to take him to the end.

As you said, last season Adam hid his mom's cancer from almost everyone for that reason. A couple seasons ago, Jeremy even hid his wife being pregnant until the end for fear of getting voted out because of that emotional story.

At the same time, though, the feeling could also be not so much that Zeke will use this as an emotional plea, but more the fear that the jury will award him the win simply because they don't want to be the person who votes against a transgender guy. I didn't follow Survivor when it first started. I wonder if any of this idea surrounded Richard Hatch that first season. Were there people that thought he won simply because people didn't want to be seen voting against the gay guy?

Old 04-14-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
You forget Brandon Hantz? (I wouldn't blame you! )
Brandon wasn't really kicked off. If I remember correctly, immediately after the immunity challenge, his tribe basically all said that there's no point in having a council, Brandon's going home, so just send him now.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:00 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yeah, I think you read that situation wrong. Sarah was saying she was glad she got to know Zeke for who he was as a person, and that if she had known that he was transgender before she got to know him, that might have colored her perception of him. She admits that would have been wrong, and that she learned something from all of this.
Still reveals a prejudiced soul. Will she need a tearful realization to accept an ex-con who is totally reformed? Will she need a tearful realization to accept the Syrian family who may move to her neighborhood next month? Or the former prostitute who is now a stay-at-home mom? etc. etc.

Her sheltered upbringing has put her very behind and I'm not going to applaud her honesty as she learns how to stop putting people in boxes.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
It very well could be that Zeke wouldn't do that. And I agree he does seem like the type that won't use that as a "crutch" he had to work around and still make it to the end.

However, there will be the perception by others that he has this great, tug-on-the-heartstrings story and just having that out there could make them refuse to take him to the end.

As you said, last season Adam hid his mom's cancer from almost everyone for that reason. A couple seasons ago, Jeremy even hid his wife being pregnant until the end for fear of getting voted out because of that emotional story.

At the same time, though, the feeling could also be not so much that Zeke will use this as an emotional plea, but more the fear that the jury will award him the win simply because they don't want to be the person who votes against a transgender guy. I didn't follow Survivor when it first started. I wonder if any of this idea surrounded Richard Hatch that first season. Were there people that thought he won simply because people didn't want to be seen voting against the gay guy?
You're right, perception is reality. I'm just saying that I don't think Zeke himself would use his story as an advantage in the game, but that doesn't mean his fellow contestants won't perceive it that way and want to neutralize him. Zeke's transgenderism will likely factor in to the choices his contestants make, but I don't think it will be because of anything Zeke personally says or does. That's all I'm saying.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Still reveals a prejudiced soul. Will she need a tearful realization to accept an ex-con who is totally reformed? Will she need a tearful realization to accept the Syrian family who may move to her neighborhood next month? Or the former prostitute who is now a stay-at-home mom? etc. etc.

Her sheltered upbringing has put her very behind and I'm not going to applaud her honesty as she learns how to stop putting people in boxes.
Kind of ironic, that as you condemn Sarah, you are revealing yourself to be exactly the same as her. How are you any different? Apply what you're saying about her, to yourself.

Will YOU need a tearful realization to accept a formerly transphobic person who now admits the error of her ways?

Always remember that little trick they taught us in kindergarten... When you point your finger at someone else, you have 3 pointing right back at you.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:

I never got that impression so I don't think so. Hatch has said that he believes he won because he took the game seriously making alliances and doing whatever would move him forward while many of the others were just acting as if they were on vacation. I don't think the fact that he was gay swayed them one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV