Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:28 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is exactly right.
They just took another emo teen nonsense show and branded it with a household name for selling purposes.
And, no...I do not believe they did a good job of casting or sketching out the characters.
These people are nothing like the originals.
Literally nothing.
I can see taking some license with it, but some stuff is totally 180 from their personalities.
I don't know if you've ever seen the show High School USA but it's a great parody of Archie. I love when a new spin is put on something old. I'm thinking if they stuck strictly to the personalities of the comics the show would have a limited audience. Adding in the tweaks they made broadens the audience to something more contemporary. They are trying to bring in the Pretty Little Liars audience. I'm enjoying the show so I hope they are getting the biggest audience as possible in order to ensure a season 2.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I don't know if you've ever seen the show High School USA but it's a great parody of Archie. I love when a new spin is put on something old. I'm thinking if they stuck strictly to the personalities of the comics the show would have a limited audience. Adding in the tweaks they made broadens the audience to something more contemporary. They are trying to bring in the Pretty Little Liars audience. I'm enjoying the show so I hope they are getting the biggest audience as possible in order to ensure a season 2.
]
I woulda been fine with tweaks.
Tweaks and even a bit of darkness have been done before.

These people are nothing like the original characters.

If they wanted the PLL audience, they could have done the same show without trying to pretend there is any relation to Archie.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:15 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I woulda been fine with tweaks.
Tweaks and even a bit of darkness have been done before.

These people are nothing like the original characters.

If they wanted the PLL audience, they could have done the same show without trying to pretend there is any relation to Archie.
I think I accepted it because I was never really into Archie Comics. I had a vague understanding of the characters but not enough to turn me away from this show. I think I would have enjoyed this show even if it had zero connection to the Archie Comics. I'm simply just a fan of teen dramas and also dark dramas. I'd love the show to add a bit more humor. That's what made The O.C. the perfect teen drama in my opinion.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Officially renewed for season 2 (# of episodes wasnt reported)

Old 03-07-2017, 07:39 PM

247 posts, read 198,157 times
I was a fan of the comics as a kid and I'm absolutely loving Riverdale so far. I've just finished the first 4 episodes. I love that it's edgy and a little dark.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I agree with early posters in this thread tho.. about the innate, light-hearted nature of Archie comics, that this series seems to abandon. I get that Archie is working to adapt & stay relevant. But going dark isn't always an upgrade, or necessary to retain fans and/or expand a contemporary audience. Just my take.
That might not be the Archie comics they are basing the show off of...

Spoiler
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife_with_Archie

Old 03-16-2017, 04:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Finally started watching. Up to episode 3 (4 more to get caught up). I really like it a lot. Beyond the character names I didnt really know much about the Archie comics so I dont have to deal with what they did or didnt do to the characters. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

As an FYI, this is Camila Mendes' (Veronica) first acting gig and in my own opinion I think she is awesome.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
This show is so good! I'm loving everything even Polly being pregnant with twins!

Old 05-28-2017, 01:32 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMcrvok-7r0

So the CW got it's hands on the Archie comics and a new show called Riverdale will be premiering in January. It's very dark and VERY different from the comics I grew up reading. I know the Archie comics have changed a lot over the years (archie becomes a spy, zombies take over Riverdale, Archie vs, the Predator, etc) but I am curious how how others who were/are fans of the comics feels about the new show.
Elizabeth looks like Brittany Murphy. RIP.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:55 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
For what its worth I don't think it is for the fans. I don't even read comics, and I'm 40 something, but I love this show. And I don't normally deal with CW. And I'm still upset that Supergirl got moved to CW; I already knew that it would be a show I would not like going forward once that happened. Although I did like Reign, and as with all things CW, I don't think that show was for the fans either.

Off topic, but their parent companies, CBS and Warner Bros, have been known to do the same thing. Makes me wonder if Zoo is the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV