Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 08:51 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,727,361 times

Advertisements

Signing into Netflix from Comcast is the same as it is through my Smart TV. Instead of hitting my menu button on my TV remote and going to the app, I push the Xfinity menu button on my cable remote and go over to Netflix. It stores my username and password and it looks identical. In summary, it works the exact same way and has the added bonus of not having to hunt down the TV remote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 02:38 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Comcast has a monopoly where I am. They pretty much suck (maybe because they have a monopoly). Poor value -- expensive for what you get. Customer service lacking big-time. No other choice except satellite and I don't want that.

Verizon FIOs was much better technically, and you get a lot more for your money. Many more premium and HD channels.

I don't know why these idiotic monopolies are even legal and not subject to the antitrust laws, but it has something to do with a law made in the 90s.

I've read that the new Trump admin is not in favor of net neutrality and will allow them all to start charging for bandwidth use. Good for big cable companies. Bad for streaming and consumers. Get the picture? (no pun intended)

I didn't realize it was as old as the 90s. Wow but the thing I don't get is when Comcast was Adelphia they were a lot better even though they were a monopoly. Maybe it was because they only had TV service. Since Comcast has a monopoly over internet too that might help.

I haven't been able to get satellite TV (although I'm going to try again) so at least you have had at least one other choice.

I'm not surprised. He only hates Comcast when they don't cater to his ego so him and the admin might have financial benefit with Comcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Often, the issue is that not many companies are willing to pay for the installation of their dedicated infrastructure to provide service. The installation can cost hundreds of millions and justification of revenue and profit has to be there in order to make the investment. Even Google has decided to get away from installing fiber and looking to use wireless technology to deliver content.

My town has Comcast, Fios, and RCN and that is only because we are one of the high tech towns in the Boston area. The commercial potential is enough for all those companies to install their own infrastructure. But unless you are in a new customer special, the pricing is all about the same.
I doubt that. Comcast has government backing. Consider the fact that FIOS is available in certain areas even in the same city.
Plus a guy at AT&T told me that they weren't allowed to provide regular internet service because Comcast blocked them from doing so. I guess you could say that he was saying that so they would still have the sale from me but I was already done with Comcast at this point anyway so it wouldn't have mattered if he told me it's because they are not willing to pay. I don't think it would have mattered to most anyone else either because any reasonable person would deduct that even AT&T wouldn't have that kind of money because they are not a giant like Comcast.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:49 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,231 times
As a couple of posters have said, we left Comcast only to come back after going with other providers.
Comcast service and programming has greatly improved-----especially now that they added Netflix. Their customer service has greatly improved, and I am now very confident that they will handle any problems promptly.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:12 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Signing into Netflix from Comcast is the same as it is through my Smart TV. Instead of hitting my menu button on my TV remote and going to the app, I push the Xfinity menu button on my cable remote and go over to Netflix. It stores my username and password and it looks identical. In summary, it works the exact same way and has the added bonus of not having to hunt down the TV remote.
So I would have to subscribe to their internet service and stream, instead of Netflix availability through cable hook up?

Old 12-29-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
So I would have to subscribe to their internet service and stream, instead of Netflix availability through cable hook up?
To use it through the cable box, you should not need to have WiFi.
To use it through an app on a Smart TV, you will need WiFi.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:48 PM

I totally forgot- one other perk for Comcast in general is their mobile app. Almost any network or cable show is available to stream the next day.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
To use it through the cable box, you should not need to have WiFi.
To use it through an app on a Smart TV, you will need WiFi.
It seems that I have to subscribe to their internet service and stream. I have a smart TV but wanted to get away from streaming.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:54 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
It seems that I have to subscribe to their internet service and stream. I have a smart TV but wanted to get away from streaming.
Well the only way to use a smart TV is with an internet connection. AFAIK, there isn't an over the air option.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Well the only way to use a smart TV is with an internet connection. AFAIK, there isn't an over the air option.
Yes, I know. When I saw Comcast was offering Netflix with its' service, I thought being able to access it through their cable, without their internet, was an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV