Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 10:32 AM

264 posts, read 301,960 times

Advertisements

AT&T u-verse wants me to move to Direct TV but can;t due to trees, signal doesn't work going thru trees.

Any ideas ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 10:33 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I've had Comcast for 25 years with very few problems.

I've seen many friends leave them in a huff for other providers, only to come back later. When it comes down to it, they are often the best choice.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 12-23-2016 at 10:43 AM..

Old 12-23-2016, 11:15 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
I had Comcast for many years, switched to U-Verse based on a knock on my door. 6 months in I was still battling to get the deal the salesman promised when another knock on my door sent me back to Comcast.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I think regardless of who you go with someone always has horror stories to tell about it

That said I was under the impression that if you had Uverse you could keep it but new customers were being sold Directv

Old 12-23-2016, 02:40 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
The ONLY issue I have with Comcast is the price. Other than that, I've been very pleased.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:41 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Comcast has a monopoly where I am. They pretty much suck (maybe because they have a monopoly). Poor value -- expensive for what you get. Customer service lacking big-time. No other choice except satellite and I don't want that.

Verizon FIOs was much better technically, and you get a lot more for your money. Many more premium and HD channels.

I don't know why these idiotic monopolies are even legal and not subject to the antitrust laws, but it has something to do with a law made in the 90s.

I've read that the new Trump admin is not in favor of net neutrality and will allow them all to start charging for bandwidth use. Good for big cable companies. Bad for streaming and consumers. Get the picture? (no pun intended)

Old 12-24-2016, 06:54 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
That said I was under the impression that if you had Uverse you could keep it but new customers were being sold Directv
AT&T has stopped producing Uverse set top boxes so new customers are Direct TV. Existing customers will be moved over to Direct TV as well as new services are added as AT&T doesn't want to upgrade the existing copper and fiber lines. Their goal is provide TV, phone, internet, and mobile via Direct TV.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:59 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Comcast has a monopoly where I am. They pretty much suck (maybe because they have a monopoly). Poor value -- expensive for what you get. Customer service lacking big-time. No other choice except satellite and I don't want that.

Verizon FIOs was much better technically, and you get a lot more for your money. Many more premium and HD channels.

I don't know why these idiotic monopolies are even legal and not subject to the antitrust laws, but it has something to do with a law made in the 90s.

I've read that the new Trump admin is not in favor of net neutrality and will allow them all to start charging for bandwidth use. Good for big cable companies. Bad for streaming and consumers. Get the picture? (no pun intended)
Often, the issue is that not many companies are willing to pay for the installation of their dedicated infrastructure to provide service. The installation can cost hundreds of millions and justification of revenue and profit has to be there in order to make the investment. Even Google has decided to get away from installing fiber and looking to use wireless technology to deliver content.

My town has Comcast, Fios, and RCN and that is only because we are one of the high tech towns in the Boston area. The commercial potential is enough for all those companies to install their own infrastructure. But unless you are in a new customer special, the pricing is all about the same.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:04 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
I have Comcast. Wait times when you have to call about something and the price are really the only negatives I've had.
I really like their platform. It is very easy to navigate. Very fast. My mom and sister both had U-Verse and switched to Comcast after seeing how much faster Comcast was and how easy it is to find everything. My OnDemand loads instantly. I remember using it with U-Verse and it took well over a minute. I can't remember having a single cable outage in the three years I've had it. My internet has went out twice, but it was back within 30 minutes. My mom had outages all the time with U-Verse.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:53 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
How is the Netflix working for you that have it on Comcast now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV