Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:52 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

This has been a really interesting watch. They've done a LOT of CGI work on the old shows. Especially with the in space scenes where there's Phaser battles between the ships. The added effects are pretty cool. I know these old shows backwards and forwards, and remember how it all looked originally with the effects. They added complete scenes that weren't even there to begin with.

Specific episodes really benefitted from the enhancements. I'm a major Trekkie, but I'm not that much of a purist so as not to like what they've done with these old shows. It was fun to sit and pick out all the stuff they added and remember what it all originally looked like back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:23 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I am waiting for Dish to give us another freebe with BBCA. I never lacked for something to watch with two treks on. If only they also had DS9

I loved the revamped episodes. The tech was improved but not beyond what they would have shown if the fx had existed. But the colors were bright and the picture so sharp. I do intend to get the episodes on disc for myself. I still remember most of the dialog from the endless numbers of time I watched them back when my friends and I were inventing fandom by doing our own episodes on tape (which thankfully hasn't survived, alas).

The sharpness of the picture and the fx, and the excellent sound just reinforced the quality of most of the writing and the careful concern of the cast to portray their characters right. I can't wait for the next freebee from Dish. Unfortunately there is maybe one other show I could watch I care about on that tier, so I'll be content to wait for them to cycle into the bonus stuff Dish shows.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:36 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber
This has been a really interesting watch. They've done a LOT of CGI work on the old shows
YES ITS DISGUSTING..... NOTHING IS PURE ANYMORE.........

I wont ever watch that garbage!!

I thankfully have the original episodes on VHS the way they are meant to be seen!!

Old 01-02-2017, 12:14 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'd rather see old TV shows the way they were broadcast originally as well. At least BBC America hasn't stretched the picture to fit the new screen size - for that I'm grateful.

BTW, BBC America has been running Star Trek for about eight hours every Friday night for quite some time. Dunno how long it will continue.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I don't mind the changes. They are not material to the story. What I LOVE is the whole broadcast episode is there. It ran for some 52 minutes. Now its somewhere around 45 minutes or possibly less, which means at least seven to eight minutes have been removed. These have all that was part of the origional and its great to see scenes I still remember.

My friends and I would record the audio so we could listen to it even if we couldn't watch, and of course we did our own versions. Seeing tos in complete form gives me this warm fuzzy feeling of that time. I'm looking forward to buying the dvd or bluerays of the new inhasments.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:48 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Question *

Quote:
Seeing tos in complete form gives me this warm fuzzy feeling of that time.
But how can it when they have been molested to hell??

THOSE ARENT THE ORIGINAL BEAUTIFUL SHOWS you are seeing! (The ones with all that CGI crap -- THEY DIDNT MAKE THEM THAT WAY,what right does some idiot have coming along and putting in what they think they should be??)

Its total rubbish and disrespectful -- THOSE SHOWS ARE GORGEOUS IN THIER ORIGINAL FORM!!

Last edited by Dude111; 01-05-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 11:50 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
I'd also rather see the unenhanced originals. The limitations are part of their charm. They don't need to be sweetened.

That said, I still watched (and enjoyed!) a butt-load of 'em while that marathon was on.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
I watched quite a few of the episodes.
I love that they have restored the bits that were cut and I have no issue with the remastering.
I think they look fabulous - the colors are brilliant and the edges are as crisp as can be.
Overall, some very well deserved enhancements.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:15 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
I can't bear to watch them.

Not because of the CGI enhancements - although I don't care for them at all - but because it just isn't that good.

Yeah, I know, groundbreaking social commentary for its time. I grew up watching it but I have no nostalgia at all.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
The funny part about watching the old classic Star Trek was comparing their idea of 22nd century technology back in the 1960's. Some of it was innovative like many inventions of today were inspired by that series.. but the way they showed the sets, were pretty cheap looking (they did not have a big budget allowed). i remember the oak wood panels they used for some of the ceiling or walls. in the 22nd century most likely, surfaces will be sleek and not that cheap oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV