Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 12:39 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini1959 View Post
Does anyone remember these?

Sunshine: a young mom dying of cancer who tapes messages to her young daughter

Maybe I'll Come Home in the Spring: Sally Field plays a hippy runaway, Andy Griffith a pastor she meets along the way

The Girls of Huntington House: first time I saw Sissy Spacek in anything, about girls in a home for "unwed mothers"

Go Ask Alice: we all probably remember that one

I know there are probably more....
I remember "Maybe I'll Come Home in the Spring" and "Go Ask Alice" but not the others.

Scott Jacoby (age 16) won an Emmy for "That Certain Summer" (1972) -- his dad came out as gay. Wouldn't be a big deal today but you can imagine it was a HUGE deal 45 years ago. I had a major crush on Jacoby!

Also loved the mini-series "Holocaust" (1978) ... lots of amazing actors in it in their "early years" including Meryl Streep, James Woods, Tovah Feldshuh, Joshp Bottoms, Fritz Weaver, etc., etc.

And "Brian's Song" -- just amazing. Still holds up almost 50 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
There were a lot of very good made for TV movies in the 70's.

Had to look up some titles and found this list: Memorable Seventies Made-For-TV Movies
Great site -- thanks for posting the link!

Quote:
Loved Brian's Song!!!

Love Story
The Way We Were
Grease
The Stepford Wives (original with Katherine Ross and Paula Prentiss)
MASH
The Summer of 42
The Rose
A Star is Born

So many good ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Yesterday watched the Deer Hunter, 1978.

Sat there and thought about how I was 5 to 10 years younger than most of the Vietnam war vets.

And yet what they had lived through was as if they live 100 lives. Know it was a movie but I know some vets. Most won't talk about what happened.

The movie made me sad thinking about what real life vets endure.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

I want to see the French Connection so bad. Can't find it. Found and watched the second and final one.

3 days of the Condor - Love it Watched Dressed to KIll last week. Not the same effect as seeing it for the first time.
But all of those were, I think, REGULAR movies (i.e. released for the big screen), not TV movies, which I think was what the OP was asking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 03:51 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Wasn't specified in the OP until you looked up the movies that were mentioned. Then the light bulb went on over my head, hence the link to the site.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:20 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Wasn't specified in the OP until you looked up the movies that were mentioned. Then the light bulb went on over my head, hence the link to the site.
Ah, you are right, the OP only said it in the title, not in the first post! Oops.

That link you posted is wonderful ... bringing back lots of memories (but also making me feel old, LOL!).

Old 02-11-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Ah, you are right, the OP only said it in the title, not in the first post! Oops.

That link you posted is wonderful ... bringing back lots of memories (but also making me feel old, LOL!).
I know the feeling

I wonder if mini series counts?

Rich Man, Poor Man; Roots...

Old 02-11-2017, 04:34 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I remember "Maybe I'll Come Home in the Spring" and "Go Ask Alice" but not the others.

Scott Jacoby (age 16) won an Emmy for "That Certain Summer" (1972) -- his dad came out as gay. Wouldn't be a big deal today but you can imagine it was a HUGE deal 45 years ago. I had a major crush on Jacoby!

Also loved the mini-series "Holocaust" (1978) ... lots of amazing actors in it in their "early years" including Meryl Streep, James Woods, Tovah Feldshuh, Joshp Bottoms, Fritz Weaver, etc., etc.

And "Brian's Song" -- just amazing. Still holds up almost 50 years later.

Great site -- thanks for posting the link!

But all of those were, I think, REGULAR movies (i.e. released for the big screen), not TV movies, which I think was what the OP was asking about.

Ooopppps sorry, got carried away. The only one I remember is Brian's Song.

I was partying and in college in the 70's.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:47 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I remember bawling my eyes out over Sunshine and Brian's Song. Others that were memorable:

That Certain Summer
Duel
The Missles of October
Go Ask Alice
Sybil
The Homecoming (the movie on which The Waltons was based)
Mrs. Sundance - Elizabeth Montgomery as Etta Place
Sarah T - Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic
The Night Stalker (the TV series followed the movie)
The Legend of Lizzie Borden
Friendly Fire

And who could forget Rescue from Gilligan's Island? LOL

Quote:
Wasn't specified in the OP
Uh, in the title of the thread?

Old 02-11-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I remember bawling my eyes out over Sunshine and Brian's Song. Others that were memorable:

That Certain Summer
Duel
The Missles of October
Go Ask Alice
Sybil
The Homecoming (the movie on which The Waltons was based)
Mrs. Sundance - Elizabeth Montgomery as Etta Place
Sarah T - Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic
The Night Stalker (the TV series followed the movie)
The Legend of Lizzie Borden
Friendly Fire

And who could forget Rescue from Gilligan's Island? LOL

Uh, in the title of the thread?
Hence the light bulb moment

Old 02-11-2017, 06:17 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
If you've never watched it, Tribes is a good one. It stars Jan-Michael Vincent and Warren Oates.

Quote:
A Marine Corps drill instructor who is disgusted by the fact that the Corps now accepts draftees finds himself pitted against a hippie (Jan Michael Vincent) who has been drafted but refuses to accept the military's way of doing things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG7i8CYA6uU

Old 02-11-2017, 07:40 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
I watched a lot of made for tv movies then, it was kind of a thing for a while in the mid-late 70s.

I remember a weekly made for TV movie which aired on a weeknight. In one of these, a guy falls asleep in the restroom of a dept store, or maybe he was drunk. Anyway he wakes up late at night, the store is closed, and protected by vicious guard dogs and he has to survive the night fending them off.
Another one starred a young Martin Sheen who was a badass driving a hot rod.

The most memorable one was was Duel, with Dennis Weaver, he played an ordinary guy driving a Dodge Dart or some other plain sedan, terrorized by a truck on a long lonely 2 lane road across the desert. I watched that one many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MtAMc4i8OA

Old 02-11-2017, 07:59 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
It Happened At Lakewood Manor was another good one, people at a resort attacked by killer ants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV