Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:28 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
So Katy Perry can outright sexually harass the contestants and everyone is cool with that? If Lionel or Luke treated any of the female contestants the same way there would be outrage! Double standard
Straight out sexual assault on TV and not a word from the Hollywood hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
It is being discussed.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:33 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It is being discussed.
Yup, it IS being talked about - a lot - and she’s already catching major slack for it. So I’m not seeing a double standard, but that complaint does seem to be the trend now. “What if a MAN did this??” Well, men have done it, and not all of them faced consequences either. We also have to accept that double standards have always and will always exist, and sometimes that is okay. Equal and SAME aren’t synonyms, and I really wish people could understand that concept.

In this particular situation, however, I guess Katy was thinking “what young (straight) man wouldn’t want a kiss from a cute older woman/star?” Kind of like when a female teacher sleeps with a male student, and even guys will joke about “hot for teacher” fantasies being fulfilled. This boy was not happy about it, though, which is why most are reacting angrily to what she did. But I doubt she’ll be fired over it, since I do believe she meant no harm... and didn’t expect him to be so conservative (probably religious too) and virginal like that. Stupid move, just not what I’d call predatory behavior. And imo THAT is what we need to stop, and who we should be hunting for instead.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-16-2018 at 09:49 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigawatts View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Would it really be acceptable for a male judge to tell female contestants how hot they are, sneak a kiss on the lips, writhe on the floor and expose their places where the sun doesn't shine? Men all over the U.S. are losing their jobs this very moment for accusations of this or less.
I’m a woman (in case that matters), and think men shouldn’t be losing their jobs over benign acts either. This whole “MeToo” movement has spiraled out of control, IMO, and turned into an over-reactive witch hunt. We should focus on punishing the actual predators, like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby etc, and stop acting like one inappropriate joke or flirt is equal to what they did. Context matters, people, and I’m getting sick of everyone acting like it doesn’t.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest - and since everyone seems to have selective memories, there have been MANY examples of the reverse on these shows. How many times did Simon and Randy ogle young female contestants? Simon even admitted to hooking up with one, if I recall, after talking nonstop on the show about how cute she was. What was her name again? Beautiful mixed-race girl from an early season, who sang “Ain’t No Sunshine” one week?

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-16-2018 at 10:06 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thought it was rather ho-hum compared to original. No "raw" talent has jumped out at me thus far.
Yes, seems almost sugar coated, but I do not miss Simon's brutal honesty to the point of reducing some contestants to tears.
There have been a few that stood out to me so far. I’m terrible with names, but one kid in particular gave me goosebumps... he was very young (like 15?) with kind of a short-shag hairdo, guitar, and a gravely voice. Really really good, and I hope he makes it through!

Old 03-18-2018, 06:34 PM

143 posts, read 111,640 times
I've tried two times now to watch this "new" American Idol. Tonight I switched the channel after Katy Perry had to get Lionel up to dance to a young woman's country song. She was giggling like a fool, and the focus was obviously taken off the contestant. I didn't have any love for KP before the show, or her music for that matter. After just seeing a few minutes of her in action on the show (the kiss), I just can't watch it. Somebody sure knew how to throw $25 million away. IMO, they might as well pull the plug now. This panel will never, ever, have the appeal that the originals had. Everything seems so forced and awkward, even the few contestants I've seen are meh. The Voice runs circles around this mess.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:42 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
I've tried two times now to watch this "new" American Idol. Tonight I switched the channel after Katy Perry had to get Lionel up to dance to a young woman's country song. She was giggling like a fool, and the focus was obviously taken off the contestant. I didn't have any love for KP before the show, or her music for that matter. After just seeing a few minutes of her in action on the show (the kiss), I just can't watch it. Somebody sure knew how to throw $25 million away. IMO, they might as well pull the plug now. This panel will never, ever, have the appeal that the originals had. Everything seems so forced and awkward, even the few contestants I've seen are meh. The Voice runs circles around this mess.
And I think the totally opposite of you. I thought there were some very good performances last night and I’m very interested to see these contestants in Hollywood. I think Lionel and Luke are very charming. Katy Perry is a little too much but at least we don’t have JLo sitting there saying she has the gooises every time.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:02 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
And I think the totally opposite of you. I thought there were some very good performances last night and I’m very interested to see these contestants in Hollywood. I think Lionel and Luke are very charming. Katy Perry is a little too much but at least we don’t have JLo sitting there saying she has the gooises every time.
I agree, I’m enjoying it too. I think Katy Perry is an OK judge, but who is styling her? Her clothing choices are awful and her hair and makeup are unbecoming. At least JLo always looked beautiful.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:27 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This boy was not happy about it, though, which is why most are reacting angrily to what she did. But I doubt she’ll be fired over it, since I do believe she meant no harm... and didn’t expect him to be so conservative (probably religious too) and virginal like that. Stupid move, just not what I’d call predatory behavior. And imo THAT is what we need to stop, and who we should be hunting for instead.
It helps too that he said flat out "I wasn't harassed". The Twitterverse and the media twisted it.

Below are his comments for anyone who wants to read them

https://twitter.com/evrenperry/statu...jamin-glaze%2F

Old 03-19-2018, 07:26 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I’m a woman (in case that matters), and think men shouldn’t be losing their jobs over benign acts either. This whole “MeToo” movement has spiraled out of control, IMO, and turned into an over-reactive witch hunt. We should focus on punishing the actual predators, like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby etc, and stop acting like one inappropriate joke or flirt is equal to what they did. Context matters, people, and I’m getting sick of everyone acting like it doesn’t.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest - and since everyone seems to have selective memories, there have been MANY examples of the reverse on these shows. How many times did Simon and Randy ogle young female contestants? Simon even admitted to hooking up with one, if I recall, after talking nonstop on the show about how cute she was. What was her name again? Beautiful mixed-race girl from an early season, who sang “Ain’t No Sunshine” one week?
Kimberly something, I think she came in 3rd on behind Clay and Ruben. I didn't know he actually hooked up with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV