Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 07:23 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times

Advertisements

I remember and enjoyed the show.

I don't recall Susan SJ having a job and they didn't have kids. But they had a housekeeper/cook.

I was never a big fan of Nancy Walker, but she was in quite a few shows and most people loved her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Loved this series. There was a really connection good between the 2 lead characters. Interesting stories and of course San Fran. Always fun to see things set in that city.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:38 AM

322 posts, read 275,884 times
I do remember this show, and I do remember seeing it quite differently after Rock Hudson died of AIDS

Old 02-17-2017, 11:32 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
MeTV used to run McM&W as part of the "Mystery" rotation here, but now have moved onto Mannix in that time slot.

Never cared for the show back in the day, and didn't really now. Susan Saint James's character got on my nerves. She came across to me as a bored wealthy wife who was just too nosey into her husband's affairs. Like the chief of a major California police force really needed and or would tolerate his wife constantly becoming involved in official business.

Rock Hudson may have been a "stud" back in his day, but looking at the show now he was sort of pudgy and often bloated looking with beady eyes.

To poster above, towards the end the McMillans were expecting a child; Susan Saint James's (the wife) had a son then both were promptly written out of the script; show then became "McMillian". In fact don't think we ever saw the baby/kid. Nancy Walker went as well.

Behind the scenes we know now that Ms. Saint James left the show due to a contract dispute, and Nancy Walker was moving onto another television show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMillan_%26_Wife

Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
What did not make sense to me about the show is that "Mack" was the Commissioner of police. That is a management job. Why is he working like a detective??
Also Saint James's character was Mack's wife even though she was young enough to be his daughter.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times
Speaking of SusanSJ, yes, her "Sally" character was too bored/nosey and involved in husband's cases. But she was likeable. I didn't know there had been a contract dispute.

Also, Susan has been married for a long time to former SNL producer Dick Ebersole. Their youngest son was killed in a plane crash at age 14. Saw them on a show (I think it was Oprah) about grief.....they were both devastated and heartbroken, which is understandable.

Last edited by applej3; 02-17-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 05:54 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Also Saint James's character was Mack's wife even though she was young enough to be his daughter.
Yes, Susan Saint James was 21 years younger than Rock.

It was ok but possibly the worst of the Mystery Movie series,
Columbo was the best, I also liked Banacek a lot too.
McCloud was so so.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Speaking of SusanSJ, yes, her "Sally" character was too bored/nosey and involved in husband's cases. But she was likeable. I didn't know there had been a contract dispute.

Also, Susan has been married for a long time to former SNL producer Dick Ebersole. Their youngest son was killed in a plane crash at age 14. Saw them on a show (I think it was Oprah) about grief.....they were both devastated and heartbroken, which is understandable.
IIRC Sally McM came from money which could explain why she had no career nor any interest in doing anything else but playing Miss. Junior Detective. Know the maid (Nancy Walker) came from or worked for Sally McM's mother/family and like all good princesses the newly married Mrs. McM brought along domestic help as part of her dowry.

Watching the reruns on MeTv it strikes me that the McMillans spent most of their time socializing in high society; going to cocktail parties, playing tennis at exclusive clubs/private homes, that sort of thing. It all seemed rather out of place for a commissioner of police, even for San Francisco.

As for Columbo vs. McCloud, they made up the other two series in MeTv's "Mystery" rotation, and would take the latter any day of the week. Columbo just got on my nerves with his dopey, messy and disheveled schtick. Yes he always got around to solving crimes, but still.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post

IIRC that contract dispute in whole or part was about money. Susan Saint James wanted more but Universal wasn't doing well financially thus wasn't in any position. This even though Mrs. McMillan was very popular with viewers. Lord knows she was on the cover of Parade magazine often enough.

By the fifth season Mc&W was doing badly ratings wise. Universal wanted to keep their one big hit (Columbo), but went along in renewing Mc&W, McCloud (also not doing well in ratings), and added Quincy in hopes of boosting things. This was not a good time for Susan Saint James to ask for more money, but she did and that was that.

Nancy Walker had already signed for another series so she was gone. Rock Hudson needed the money so he signed on for another season. Well he would, wouldn't he? Like so many once great Hollywood film stars of the 1940's, 1950's and even 1960's television became place many found the only acting work they could get that brought in a steady paycheck.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Yes, Susan Saint James was 21 years younger than Rock.

It was ok but possibly the worst of the Mystery Movie series,
Columbo was the best, I also liked Banacek a lot too.
McCloud was so so.

Depending upon which story you believe Miss. Saint James was not at all happy about kissing and or otherwise being intimate with a gay man.

By the 1970's that well kept secret that never really was; Rock Hudson's homosexuality, was common knowledge all over Hollywood if not everywhere else. So not only was Susan Saint James saddled with a husband that was nearly twice her age, there was *that* to contend with as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV