Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:50 PM

894 posts, read 586,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Same here. We were sent to bed at 9:00 until I was in fourth or fifth grade; later, it became 10:00.
Yep, we also had a 9pm bedtime for awhile as kids. So we'd miss Three's Company and some other shows. Fridays we could stay up as late as we wanted so we watched TV as late as we could tolerate it.

Since we had church on Sundays, we had to go to bed by 10pm though. So although we were up to see The Love Boat, we missed out on Fantasy Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 11:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
I grew up in the 1950s, when all TV shows were family-friendly. Gosh, when I Love Lucy's Lucy was pregnant (the first time an expectant woman was ever shown on TV) , they werent even allowed to say the word "pregnant".

Old 02-27-2017, 02:28 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Helter Skelter, 1976 I believe. Watched it years later. My parents were right!

Old 02-27-2017, 05:12 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I grew up in the 1950s, when all TV shows were family-friendly. Gosh, when I Love Lucy's Lucy was pregnant (the first time an expectant woman was ever shown on TV) , they werent even allowed to say the word "pregnant".
I fail to see how refusing to say the word pregnant is 'family friendly'. How could hearing that word possibly be a problem for a child? That's not 'friendly' - it's just ridiculous.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:24 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
As a child was a regular extra on "The Brian Keith Show" also known as "Little People" that ran for a short time in the early '70s. It was about a Dr. In Hawaii and in one episode someone said the word "womb". It was a scandal and no one knew how it made it past the censors. Sheesh.

My Sis and I could watch whatever we wanted to (we had HBO but not Showtime and Cinemax). I had no set bedtime as I was a night owl and the tv could keep me safely occupied.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:11 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
In the 1960's in New York there was a show on one of the local channels called "Million Dollar Movie". Strange as it seems, they would run the same movie twice a day every day for a week, and additional showings on weekends. Even with so much repetition it seems they were still scraping the bottom of the barrel for material; why else would you see a whole week's worth of Attack of the Crab Monsters or The Killer Shrews?

Anyway, for some reason my mother was determined that we were not allowed to watch one particularly awful movie, The Giant Behemoth. Maybe she had figured out that there was something especially objectionable or scary about it, but given that it was on a dozen or more times in a single week I don't think we had any problem viewing it even though forbidden to do so.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:06 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I fail to see how refusing to say the word pregnant is 'family friendly'. How could hearing that word possibly be a problem for a child? That's not 'friendly' - it's just ridiculous.

I wasnt defending it. I was just stating that the TV censors back in the 1950s made sure that even young kids could watch whatever was on TV.

I read a book written by Lucille Ball that revealed how much censoring there was back in the 1950 when I was growing up. Just the fact that Lucy was pregnant caused a big stir becuase the producers/censors didnt want her to continue on the series until after she'd had her baby.

And married couples (in real life) like Ozzie and Harriet and Lucy and Desi had to be shown sleeping in separate beds. There was absolutely no cursing, even words as innocent as "damn". Kissing was limited to brief smooches, even between real-life married people.

It was a different time in many ways. And, to be honest, I think it was a better time in many ways.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
The only thing I remember not being allowed to watch was "Secret Agent" with Patrick McGoohan but I think that was because my mother wanted to watch it without distractions.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:22 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I was not allowed to watch "The streets of san Francisco " I had the biggest crush on Micheal douglass back then as inspector keller . My mom liked Karl Maulden . She told me your bedtime is 9 pm . Then there were the issues they dealt with on that show like rape , murder and serial killers etc . I think she thought I was too young to understand some of that .

Old 02-28-2017, 01:06 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,229 times
I was in 1st grade when the Simpsons came out. I wasn't allowed to watch that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV