U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 03:15 PM

665 posts, read 828,802 times

Advertisements

does anyone why imdb messaged boards have been cancelled. They were great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 03:22 PM

7,162 posts, read 7,607,153 times
The very simple answer is that they were tired of dealing with trolls. They had a paragraph announcing it on the boards for a while.

Quote:
“After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide,” a statement on the site reads. “The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.”
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/3/1450...-shutting-down

There was a ton of good info in there but you had to wade through a ton of crap to get to it. The writing had been on the walls for some time.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:30 PM

675 posts, read 620,271 times
I enjoyed reading comments on the IMDB boards. Most of the boards I visited didn't have too many trolls. I love reading fan theories and reactions to movies and shows. I felt the IMDB boards were much more active than these city-data forums.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:37 PM

711 posts, read 389,777 times
I liked most of the boards too. I do agree that some of them were pretty heavily trolled though. One thing I really liked was the music identification. Sometimes I'd hear a song on a show and want to know who the musician was. Lots of times someone on that show board had the answer.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:46 PM

2,702 posts, read 5,162,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
Most of the boards I visited didn't have too many trolls.
I abandoned the Game of Thrones and Walking Dead boards because they were completely overrun with racism, misogyny, politics, and just generally infantile behavior. They had become a social gathering spot for many, but those folks were not there to discuss the movie or TV show. I saw tons of threads that would be stupid stuff like, "Blue socks. Discuss!" And it was obvious that there was a "popularity contest" aspect to the boards. Unfortunately, I tend to like the type of movies that attracted these people -- popcorn movies, blockbusters, comic book movies, action flicks -- so for me, it felt like I couldn't get away from them.

I dealt with it by putting people on ignore. That worked for me because it did their posts and any threads they originated. I had thousands -- no exaggeration -- on ignore. (Out of curiosity, I once pasted my ignore list into Excel. It was over 3,000 people.)

I'm sorry the boards are no longer there, but they had become nearly unusable for me.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:53 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,665,439 times
They had become unreadable. What little moderation they had seemed to have given up months, maybe a few years ago. Popular shows were so heavily trolled you just couldn't wade through all the garbage.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:18 PM

886 posts, read 357,649 times
It's sad when people's lives are so empty that they find enjoyment trolling public message boards to the point that others can't enjoy it anymore. I really hate that.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:38 PM

675 posts, read 620,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I abandoned the Game of Thrones and Walking Dead boards because they were completely overrun with racism, misogyny, politics, and just generally infantile behavior. They had become a social gathering spot for many, but those folks were not there to discuss the movie or TV show. I saw tons of threads that would be stupid stuff like, "Blue socks. Discuss!" And it was obvious that there was a "popularity contest" aspect to the boards. Unfortunately, I tend to like the type of movies that attracted these people -- popcorn movies, blockbusters, comic book movies, action flicks -- so for me, it felt like I couldn't get away from them.

I dealt with it by putting people on ignore. That worked for me because it did their posts and any threads they originated. I had thousands -- no exaggeration -- on ignore. (Out of curiosity, I once pasted my ignore list into Excel. It was over 3,000 people.)

I'm sorry the boards are no longer there, but they had become nearly unusable for me.
I primarily read the Pretty Little Liars board, since that show is seldom discussed here.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:42 PM

11,114 posts, read 6,616,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
I primarily read the Pretty Little Liars board, since that show is seldom discussed here.
Same here, along with other ABC Family shows and CW. I never really noticed that many trolls on those boards, I guess they weren't interested in the "teen" shows.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM

7,162 posts, read 7,607,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
It's sad when people's lives are so empty that they find enjoyment trolling public message boards to the point that others can't enjoy it anymore. I really hate that.
Sad thing is that one of the articles I read said that more and more sites are either shutting down or heavily moderating comments for that very reason.

I used to get a ton of renew/cancel news from the folks over there. Guess I'll find it elsewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or