Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:57 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes--Bette's mouth as well as her eyes were signature features

I find I am coming more and more to see both the leads as good physical proponents for the stars they represent
I never thought I would find anything to admire about Crawford after reading Mommy Dearest a long time ago
But she definitely had the insight on SUGAR as a dangerous dietary influence == all the while pushing Pepsi products...
And she definitely saw the rank hypocracy in Hollywood--on many levels...but...
The fact that she saw the value in a product like Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and could find the right director and co star just shows that she had great talent for the producing side of the film business...

But the fact that she also let her rank jealousy cost her money by helping prevent Davis from winning an Oscar which would have put money into her own pocket when she needed it greatly shows that she didn't have the ability to put financial reward over personal politics--
Something that Stanley Tucci's portrayal has proven was the hallmark of Jack Warner and that Alfred Molina has dealt with as Robert Aldrich--both of them were pragmatic enough to ignore emotional factors for financial ones.
Betty Davis also tried and I guess failed to moderate her emotional reaction to Crawford over her pragmatic one...she always liked having the last word...
Very astute post.

One of Joan's attributes that served her poorly was her tendency to take herself and the business so seriously. Look at Bette after the success of Baby Jane, laughing it up and engaging in camp and self-parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT6AhKTSnqc

She continued to do that throughout her life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zpBpw8hnYE

Joan never would have engaged in such things.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:06 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
One of Joan's attributes that served her poorly was her tendency to take herself and the business so seriously. ...
As I have watched the mini-series, that's been my impression, which seems to be what people have written elsewhere, as well.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As I have watched the mini-series, that's been my impression, which seems to be what people have written elsewhere, as well.
Yes--
If you remember one of the earlier episodes where Joan was explaining how she was sexually abused when a young girl by her step-father---Joan was kind and considered that man a benefactor basically--didn't see herself as abused at all and David, without really saying much--let the audience watching know that she was appalled and--for a moment--felt so sorry for Crawford...and yet, when Crawford persisted in defending the man and trying to rationalize the abuse, Davis was like "why waste my sympathy on you, Joan--when you are so narcissistic you can't admit you were abused"...

I thought that was perhaps why Crawford was so intent on always being on her dignity--why it was so important to maintain her reputation and the appearance of success and be taken seriously by those in power--
Trying to avoid being a victim---
Which didn't really work when all was said and done...
She used her body whenever she thought it would do her the most good---

To my mind--there was something so clinical about Joan offering herself to Adrich to did all he could to avoid that and then turn around and actually have an intimate moment with Davis because it was an emotional reaction---not calculated...
That difference is really what the two women are about---
Davis was more emotional, more in tune with the interior life of her characters, more vulnerable because of that in her portrayals and she seems much more vulnerable in her relationships with her daughters and others--like her agent...

Joan was more clinical--sometimes pragmatic as when she read all those books looking for a property to produce herself or when she corralled Hopper to help her bolster her reputation and steal the Oscars...
But could be self-destructive emotion as well--as when she split from her doctor/husband

consider how both women reacted to finding out how their agents were treating them once the film was over and the rumor was it would flop...
Betty's agent sent the junior member of the staff out to see her --in the waiting room of the office--
Betty saw the ploy as the rejection it was but reacted with some humor in the exhange, still fired them (if I remember correctly) and put her famous ad in Variety looking for work==
supposedly in a moment of acid humor...

Joan met her team of agents in their spashy office--dressed to the nines--and took immediate umbrage they had not found her better offers and fired them on the spot...nothing humorous about her reaction...

Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Oh my goodness! That roast had me loling! It was great seeing all those people again.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:35 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Another fantastic episode last night.
Those women had razors as tongues.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:22 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
The Finale is next week

Wonder if they will continue with another 'Fued' story...

Old 04-17-2017, 07:41 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
The Finale is next week

Wonder if they will continue with another 'Fued' story...
Wonder no more...

Feud Season 2 Will Focus on Prince Charles and Princess Diana | Vanity Fair

Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Oh boy

Old 04-17-2017, 12:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
That story still has the power to wound I imagine w/William and Harry both living reminders of the damage Charles and Di's feud created...
Saw recent deadline about Harry needing therapy after his mom's death--
Which was long-term result of the fiasco of the "royal marriage debacle"

From what I have read--and admit lot of it is second/third hand "gossip", I fault Charles who knuckling under to his mother the Queen and choosing a young woman obviously in love with him and obviously not a good match--just attractive and a likely "breeder"

Old 04-19-2017, 11:39 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Although I'm thoroughly enjoying the miniseries, forget that...Bette Davis did, indeed, exhibit a flair for NOT taking herself too seriously. I can remember her many times on Mike Douglas, or Virginia Graham, or any number of afternoon shows, in addition to the late-night gabfests, in which she clearly got a kick out of everything from the song "Bette Davis Eyes" to the turn her career had taken as she aged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV