Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 AM

23,375 posts, read 43,860,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Although I'm thoroughly enjoying the miniseries, forget that...Bette Davis did, indeed, exhibit a flair for NOT taking herself too seriously. I can remember her many times on Mike Douglas, or Virginia Graham, or any number of afternoon shows, in addition to the late-night gabfests, in which she clearly got a kick out of everything from the song "Bette Davis Eyes" to the turn her career had taken as she aged.
I remember that she once made an impromptu appearance at a press conference for Kim Carnes.
She was also devoid of vanity in her later years, unlike most of her peers. She once gave an interview immediately after a water aerobics class. All the rather 'mature' women were lounging around the pool while she talked. "Let me know if the sight of all this aging flesh becomes too much for you," she told the interviewer, "and we can take a break." She then burst out laughing.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:30 PM

50,357 posts, read 23,934,770 times
My sense of Bette Davis has always been -- and even more so after watching this miniseries -- that she was "real". Not necessarily always nice, but real.
My impression now about Joan Crawford is "fake".

I've tried watching Crawford in a couple of films the past couple of weeks...and it was hard taking her as seriously anymore.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,807,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My sense of Bette Davis has always been -- and even more so after watching this miniseries -- that she was "real". Not necessarily always nice, but real.

I've tried watching Crawford in a couple of films the past couple of weeks...and it was hard taking her as seriously anymore.
I recently added a few of Crawford and Davis films to my Netflix Queue and anxiously awaiting for them to arrive in the mail. I'm going to try to keep an open mind about Joan. Her bad behavior has been exposed but there are plenty other ones in Hollywood with just as much that we just don't know about. If she's truly a gifted actress I should be able to lose myself in the performance without thinking about her real life.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,611,866 times
Looked up Bette Davis's daughter BD after last episode--
She is still married to same man after all these years and is some type of evangelical minister...
And the Mamacita character was actually German== a mistaken name Joan gave her the first day she came to work...

Thought it was interesting that Davis's plan came to fruition the way she envisioned--
I wonder why more female stars didn't try to get producers' position/work when their time in front of the camera waned...
The ones w/talent and smarts likely could have had a decent career doing that and producers did carry clout in Hollywood---depending on how good their films were...

Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,990,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Looked up Bette Davis's daughter BD after last episode--
She is still married to same man after all these years and is some type of evangelical minister...
And the Mamacita character was actually German== a mistaken name Joan gave her the first day she came to work...

Thought it was interesting that Davis's plan came to fruition the way she envisioned--
I wonder why more female stars didn't try to get producers' position/work when their time in front of the camera waned...
The ones w/talent and smarts likely could have had a decent career doing that and producers did carry clout in Hollywood---depending on how good their films were...

Because Hollywood at the time was a good ole boys club and no one would take a woman producer /director seriously . It was like the kiss of death back then for a studio . Yes there were plenty of smart women back then but none of the men would give them a chance behind the camera . Glad that has changed .

Old 04-20-2017, 06:58 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,117,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Just watched "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" this weekend. Hadn't seen it since it originally came out and now I appreciated the acting. Sorry, Joan, Bette was much better. I also watched "The Miracle Worker" two weekends ago and I think the Academy made the right choice for Best Actress that year. It's so interesting being able to watch the people and movies this show is depicting in almost real time.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:16 PM

11,583 posts, read 12,603,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I remember that she once made an impromptu appearance at a press conference for Kim Carnes.
She was also devoid of vanity in her later years, unlike most of her peers. She once gave an interview immediately after a water aerobics class. All the rather 'mature' women were lounging around the pool while she talked. "Let me know if the sight of all this aging flesh becomes too much for you," she told the interviewer, "and we can take a break." She then burst out laughing.
She also played a bag lady in a TV movie. As depicted in the mini-series, Bette was a character actress. Joan was a leading actress but known mostly for her looks with "adequate acting" like the way we viewed Tom Cruise. Once in a while, a meaty part comes along and Joan could handle it well, but it was her looks that got her to Hollywood, like many other actresses. She had a "look," a glamour look or what today would be called a "brand," which was very popular during the 30s, where movies depicted people wearing smoking jackets being served by maids during the Depression. The same could be said for Elizabeth Taylor who presented a certain unique look on camera.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:34 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,117,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
She also played a bag lady in a TV movie. As depicted in the mini-series, Bette was a character actress. Joan was a leading actress but known mostly for her looks with "adequate acting" like the way we viewed Tom Cruise. Once in a while, a meaty part comes along and Joan could handle it well, but it was her looks that got her to Hollywood, like many other actresses. She had a "look," a glamour look or what today would be called a "brand," which was very popular during the 30s, where movies depicted people wearing smoking jackets being served by maids during the Depression. The same could be said for Elizabeth Taylor who presented a certain unique look on camera.
If I didn't know Blanche Hudson was Joan Crawford, I would never have guessed it was her!

Old 04-21-2017, 02:35 PM

23,375 posts, read 43,860,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Very true. I've even heard it referred to as the Era of Goddess Worship for the cadre of actresses who could evoke emotion by simply being a static presence before the camera. It was all about the face, the look, the screen presence...Greta Garbo, Hedy Lamarr, Rita Hayworth, Vivien Leigh, Jean Harlow, Gene Tierney, Veronica Lake. It was really a carryover from the silent era. Funny thing is that how many films do you remember from any of these actresses when they reached middle age? Joan Crawford to me fell into this category. Bette didn't. But would Crawford have embraced a role like Davis did with Margo Channing in All About Eve where she, through her character, would have to confront the vagaries of aging and fading beauty in her industry. Too close to home for her, I would think.
You really don't this particular kind of actress in Hollywood anymore; nor do you see many roles that call for it. The politically correct would be too quick to dismiss it as objectification. The tradition was carried on by Taylor, of course, and French actresses like Deneuve, but I can't really think of any contemporary American actresses or films that fit this mold; the last one that I can think of that might was Body Heat with Kathleen Turner.
Here's an interview with Camille Paglia on Elizabeth Taylor that deals with this topic.

Paglia on Taylor: “A luscious, opulent, ripe fruit!” - Salon.com

Old 04-24-2017, 05:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,611,866 times
Just sad ending--but didn't know Crawford was ill for so long...

I don't know that today's media environment is any better or has learned any of the dangers being a "star" offers...
I guess women are in more positions of power behind the camera since I see lot of female names as producers on movie credits and in other categories but you rarely see a female listed as the chief photographer on a film...
There's a certain number of female directors but many of those in television but I read they still have trouble getting funding for films especially after a downer--whereas males are forgiven more easily...
Only 1 head of studio that I can think of and she was bumped I believe
And we know stars that have drug/alcohol problems are still around and killing themselves quickly or by degree...
Beauty still vies with talent for what makes a star and drives success
And we have seen the cult of the "goddess" is still alive and well with those like the Kardashians who have made themselves wealthy and "desireable" by knowing how to manipulate social media...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV