Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 04:08 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Putting it up against Survivor does not give it much of a chance.
I record it and then watch it after Survivor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 07:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I have been watching this show--but in clusters--will catch up OnDemand or on Hulu
I find it difficult to like the male lead---not a very good actor and while I think Helen Hunt is doing a very good job her part seems so stereotypical--as do many others...

It is certainly not as nuanced as "American Crime" which is set in adjacent area and analyzes in more detail and truth (IMO) the failures of society to deal with problems of race and abuse...

Old 04-28-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I have been watching this show--but in clusters--will catch up OnDemand or on Hulu
I find it difficult to like the male lead---not a very good actor and while I think Helen Hunt is doing a very good job her part seems so stereotypical--as do many others...

It is certainly not as nuanced as "American Crime" which is set in adjacent area and analyzes in more detail and truth (IMO) the failures of society to deal with problems of race and abuse...
It's almost as if Helen Hunt is supposed to be Mayor Jennifer Roberts from Charlotte. This has the Scott case all over it with a few changes. It could probably be a Baltimore or a Ferguson as well. All 3 mixed into one.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:31 PM

Just watching latest episode--6--and there is a scene which has the show jumping the shark--if you are familiar with that phrase--when a show goes totally beyond reason...
Mother of white college student shot by black cop walks into police/sheriff's station w/o anyone stopping her because they are celebrating the 20th anniversary of Breeland, one of the cops under suspicion...
Mother walks into the back area where the cops are all celebrating and accosts the black deputy who shot her son...
No one lays a hand on her, searches her for a weapon, or even tried to stop her from confronting this young deputy...
Totally sensationalized beyond reason...
Even more than the earlier scene where one of the DoJ investigators is stopped by local deputy and creates an incident that will make it seem like she can be blackmailed by Breeland...

I will likely finish watching this show but there is no credibility here for anything resembling a rational analysis of race and policing and political motives....

Old 04-28-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Just watching latest episode--6--and there is a scene which has the show jumping the shark--if you are familiar with that phrase--when a show goes totally beyond reason...
Mother of white college student shot by black cop walks into police/sheriff's station w/o anyone stopping her because they are celebrating the 20th anniversary of Breeland, one of the cops under suspicion...
Mother walks into the back area where the cops are all celebrating and accosts the black deputy who shot her son...
No one lays a hand on her, searches her for a weapon, or even tried to stop her from confronting this young deputy...
Totally sensationalized beyond reason...
Even more than the earlier scene where one of the DoJ investigators is stopped by local deputy and creates an incident that will make it seem like she can be blackmailed by Breeland...

I will likely finish watching this show but there is no credibility here for anything resembling a rational analysis of race and policing and political motives....

There's only going to be 10 episodes. I looked at the wiki for it and it was filmed around the Charlotte area.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:34 AM

I thought about this show and this year's American Crime
American Crime is harder for me to connect with because the story has lacked a central narrative...and has shifted story lines and characters to serve the more separate threads but the acting and writing are superior in almost every aspect.

Helen Hunt is excellent in her role and Richard Dryfuss creates a character that is compelling even if written as a stereotype but Latham's role grows more and more unbelievable...and untenable...maybe that is the point but seems very heavy handed...
And the guy playing the DoJ investigating attorney is just unbelievable...
Falling into bed w/the aide is just too stupid for words -- as is passing along information to the Gov which goes right to the source of the problem and comes back to bite his own case...
Lazy scripting...

Old 05-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Watched the E10 tonight on Hulu--
Not going to comment on some of the plot twists but thought one plot element was just--again--jumping the shark because it ignores the law (which supposedly the show is built around)...
The idea presented was that once a person was brought up for Grand Jury indictment and the indictment was rejected that person could NEVER be brought up on the same or variation charge....especially after new evidence comes to light...
There is no double jeopardy attached to an attempted indictment like there is with a trial when the defendant is found not guilty and can't be re-tried...

The fact that new evidence came to light right after a no-bill decision (which means the Grand Jury declines to indict) about one of the "guilty/involved" actors and the prosecution did not call for a new Grand Jury and try for another indictment was just outside reality....

I am SO HOPING this show does not return with a continuation of these characters--especially the guy playing the DoJ prosecutor---
He is such a weenie of a character and a bad actor to boot...
Jill Hennessy, Helen Hunt and the woman playing the mother of the young black teen who was shot--they were very good...even with some bad scripts---
Men actors not that good...Will Patton overplays his Southerness all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV