Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Never heard handicapable. Is that new?
It has been around for quite a few years and I despise it! To me it seems so condescending and patronizing and it feels the same when I am 'corrected' by PC individuals when referring to myself in a certain way.

I do like Carole but her Native American lecture really irritated me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I didn't watch this show much until this year; I started watching it at the end of last year. I know Jill got the boot but can't remember the other lady.

I used to think Ramona was crazy until Aviva came along. Sonja - needs to wear underwear and slow down on the drinking. Heather seems pretty level-headed but Imma see how things go with her.

Carole - can't get a read on her. She seems really smart and really flighty at the same time. I also can't decide if she's attractive or not. (Not that that matters - but she has an unusual look).

Luann - thinks she's better than everyone else but seems like she definitely knows how to have a good time.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:14 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
It has been around for quite a few years and I despise it! To me it seems so condescending and patronizing and it feels the same when I am 'corrected' by PC individuals when referring to myself in a certain way.

It does sound patronizing. Maybe it would be a good word to use working with a small child, but for an adult...

Old 09-15-2012, 03:39 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post

I can't imagine ever saying that to someone, and I wouldn't blame you for ripping the head of someone who "corrected" you with that term. Honestly I thought handicapable was just a term used in movies and TV, usually by an irritating, bouncy pollyanna type character that everyone wants to smack, especially after she says that.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:52 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
Carole is too smug and superior. Princess or not. It seems like many of her comments are at least an indirect way to promote either of her books.

But what got me about her the most was her taking on LuAnn about how it is not proper to use the term "American Indian". I couldn't figure out why until a couple of weeks after the comment I noticed that just about every week in the NYT Magazine there is an ad, sometimes a 1/4 page ad that asks for donations to "The American Indian College Fund". Just saying that I think the Times would know that the term is correct or at least acceptable.

Well the issue with that is it is not politically correct to use it if you are NOT one. But since Luann IS one, she can call her people whatever the hell she wants too. That was annoying of Carole

Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I really like Carole. However, her ilk --- the ultra political correct crowd who are so fine with everything so long as it's NIMBY --- are annoying as hell. Why shouldn't anyone call them "American Indians'??? That's what they are!!! They call themselves that. Some also call themselves "Native American". Whatever. Who are the politically correct crowd to tell anyone what they should be called????? If Luann is American Indian and she "identifies" as being that, so be it. Carole shouldn't have corrected her. I found it hilarious when Luann did the "ooo ooo ooo" thing like kids do when they (used to) play cowboys and indians and then she mentioned a scalping! LOL!!! (and didn't Jacque say "how"?)

You don't tell someone how to refer to themselves. You don't tell a woman she cannot call another woman a B**** if you are a man. SHUT UP MAN!! I will call another woman a female slur if I want because I AM WOMAN.

Same with American Indians. I AM an American Indian and that is how I refer to myself. Native American is a new text book phrase.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I disagree with the people who disagree with Carole ... on the subject of Native Americans.

I've thought it out and stated before, why would a group of people want to call themselves a name that was given by mistaking it for another country and its people? And why continue to do so when foreigners came and took MOST of their land and had killed MOST of them off?

If Columbus had came here and thought it China, would they then be called Chinese Americans? Would we still continue to use that term? Seems rather logical and poignant to me, Carole's point, and I accept it.

Indian Americans are people FROM India who are now in America. AMERICAN INDIANS are people who are FROM American and yet where thought to be Indians. It makes perfect sense and the correct term would be Native American Indians.
So you can shorten it any way you want, IF you are one of them of course.

Carole just wants to correct someone. After all she is smarter than the rest of us. HA HA...

Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM

484 posts, read 854,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

Same with American Indians. I AM an American Indian and that is how I refer to myself. Native American is a new text book phrase.
I agree. Same with people calling every black person African American. Some are not American or African.

I was in SoCal with a colleague who is black and from the UK who was doing a make up demo at Barney's ... and a customer said I am looking for the African American man who did my make up yesterday.......lol my colleague was bending down taking out merch behind the counter He stood up and and she said there you are..... he politely said Madame I am not American nor am I African. I am a British and Haitians. lol LOVED IT.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM

7,368 posts, read 5,482,511 times
If there is an award for the most annoying, obnoxius housewreck ever, give it to Aviva! What a twit!
Do these women do anything (aside from St. Barts) but go out to eat and shop? How many scenes did they show tonight of the various women meeting for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
If there is an award for the most annoying, obnoxius housewreck ever, give it to Aviva! What a twit!
Do these women do anything (aside from St. Barts) but go out to eat and shop? How many scenes did they show tonight of the various women meeting for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
Will watch it tomorrow, but yeah! I know! If I went out to eat as often as they do I'd weigh 300 lbs. Eat, shop, eat some more, shop...it's a fun diversion sometimes, but would be so boring doing it non-stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV