Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:38 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times

Advertisements

I think it had great acting. A very compelling storyline, about very tough subject matter. I like the focus of the show, to raise awareness about issues and that we should treat each other better...

However, I have an issue with some of the portrayals and direction of the series:

First of all, I don't like the suicide revenge tour. The tapes come across as a revenge tour on those who hurt her, and I find that to be particularly cruel. Not that some of those people weren't cruel to her, but I don't know if that's the message I'd want to send. There is an underlying theme throughout the season that everybody is to blame for Hannah's suicide, and it continues right down to the final minutes. As if those people forced her into that position...

Hannah's experiences, while some were tragic, were not unique. I think every single viewer can find at least one, but likely more than one, commonality that they themselves share with her experiences. People have overcome worse and didn't go on a blame-fest and kill themselves. I don't mean to sound insensitive here, but not a single child in the show spoke to an adult. Obviously, many children won't, bit many children also do, and the show does a poor job showing that teenagers can overcome issues with adult intervention (bullying, harassment, rape, assault, sexual assault, loneliness, drug and alcohol abuse, etc). Every adult that was a central character (besides Clay's parents) was a willful bystander oblivious to the culture of the school and the problems the different kids were dealing with. That's not only unrealistic but a little crass...

I don't like how they had Clay draw out listening to the tapes. Unrealistic and too time consuming. Besides that, I'd give it a 7.5-8/10, mostly for great acting and a solid premise, even if I found the direction of the storyline questionable...

Now, I'd never allow my children to watch this, but I'm saying this as a parent of a 2-month old and not a teenager, so that may change. But the show was too vulgar in dialogue and graphic (sex scenes, rape scenes, suicide scene) for me to allow my child under 16 to watch. Plus, the fact that teenagers don't process or interpret information the same way adults do--i think a teenager could view this with a responsible adult and have a mature conversation around it. At the same time, there is a load of room for (mis?)interpretation that the show romanticizes suicide and presents adults as unable to respond to or recognize teenage angst, and that adults shouldn't be trusted and the teens should take matters into their own hands. Too much room within for misinterpretation. 'Maybe' I'd watch it with an older child...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't mean to sound insensitive here, but not a single child in the show spoke to an adult.
This is simply false. The kids talked to adults repeatedly. One of the main characters was the counselor who spoke with many of the characters, including Hannah, who practically told him she was considering suicide.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:37 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
I think you are missing the whole point of the story. And you are taking it too personally. Your husband was a grown man, an adult who should be able to shoulder more stress and pressures than a 16 year old, who is still in terms of life experience a child, but who was being forced (as all of her peers in today's society are, unfortunately) to deal with matters far beyond her years. The two scenarios do not equate.

Each of the 13 recordings she made are directed to a person who played a role in her ultimate decision to kill herself. There is a reason the school counselor is the last one, because he SHOULD have taken more of an active role in trying to help her, and even he brushed her off.

I am so glad I grew up in the last generation to come of age before social media, so I didn't have to deal with that sh*t. Can't imagine what it is like to have photos or video of something I did be broadcast around the entire school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
It's pure BS. I watched a couple episodes.

Twelve months ago, my much-loved husband committed suicide. Every minute of every day, I try to figure out what I could have done differently, and if I could have stopped him and maybe I should have done a better job making his favorite meals every single night. Or maybe I should have been a better lover, or earned more money, or something. It must have been something that I could have done to prevent this.

And this is why suicide is different.

My husband didn't die of a heart problem or a disease process. He put a bullet in his brain.

Suicide survivors (as we're called) deal with guilt, guilt, guilt and more guilt. "13 Reasons" just adds to that guilt. I can't speak to the book, but I can say that the show is moral idiocy.

Hannah killed herSELF. To even produce a show that adds one iota of guilt to us suicide survivors is horrible.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Well, I'm 55 and a mother of five adult kids and eight grandkids, the oldest of whom is a 14 year old girl. I am currently binging on this show and I think it's fascinating.

In a way, high school hasn't changed a bit. I think that's what's fascinating to me as well. The same personalities, they just have different tools and different ways to communicate - but bullying has been around for aeons and will always be around.

I think every parent of pre teens and teens should watch this show. It's not without it's flaws but overall I think it's excellent.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Greetings and thank you for reading. So, this is a really different TV Show in the sense that it is the first of its' kind. One that elicits a lot of emotion.

Therefore, please remember that just like the rest of our shows in the TV forum, we follow the TOS, and we stay on topic of the show. Personal discussions are to be conducted in the Community Chat, Health Relationship or other approprate location. Posts here will be edited or deleted as necessary as our readers are not just our posters but lurkers and those on the www. We want to maintain a great flow about the show. Also, please don't take anything personally, and if you do, report those posts! Don't respond yourself.

If you have any questions please feel free to DM me. You can do that by clicking on my name and then clicking Send Message. Other handy information is in my signature line below. Thank you.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:26 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
We finished episode 10 last night, the next episode is

Spoiler
Clay's tape. I am dreading it

13 Reasons Why is easily in Netflix's top 10 All-time originals. Wife and I have had a good time watching it. Dylan Minnette ought to be recognized by his performance, he's been amazing. Langford is good too.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,863 times
I don't have kids and I'm not a teen but, I kept seeing it pop up on my Netflix so I decided to check it out. I'm on episode 8. I think all teens and young adults should watch this.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:51 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
A far more eloquent explanation than I can pen explains in depth why this show should be condemned and not aggrandized.

13 reasons why the Netflix series gets suicide wrong | Cancer Is Not A Gift

Old 04-27-2017, 01:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
A far more eloquent explanation than I can pen explains in depth why this show should be condemned and not aggrandized.

13 reasons why the Netflix series gets suicide wrong | Cancer Is Not A Gift
Written by someone who didn't even watch one minute of the series... While I agree with some of his points about the show romanticizing suicide (but not because of the number of people who have watched), I don't see how the author can make those claims.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I am fascinated by this show and can't wait to pick up where I left off last night (on episode 8 now).

I personally think that people who commit suicide (and I've known several, including my uncle, who blew his head off in the bathroom about 30 feet from where his kids were standing outside waiting for the bus) are 1) ultimately responsible for their own decisions, but 2) in incredible pain, which makes them feel utterly hopeless.

So I don't judge them - but I also believe that if the people around them can SEE THE SIGNS of that incredible pain, or stop contributing to that pain, or stop others from contributing to that pain, then we're all better off. That doesn't mean that those who didn't succeed at helping them are guilty.

But the series is specifically about bullying and tormenting another human being. Now - not everyone who commits suicide does so because they are bullied or tormented. I think it takes a perfect storm of emotions, personality, values, and events to come together to influence someone to take that final, irrevokable step, and we can throw stones at each other all day trying to cast blame. But one thing is certain and that is that bullying and tormenting and abusing another human being is a deep and terrible sin, and can have deep and terrible consequences whether the tormenter means for it to or not. Actions have consequences, and non actions do too.

They say "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." There's some truth to that, but there's more to it than that. Sometimes what is incredibly painful DOES kill you. Sometimes incredible pain does make you stronger. And sometimes incredible pain just breaks a person.

This series has really made me think.

There is no way I'd let a teenager of mine watch it without me watching the entire series first. Like I said, I'm only on Episode 8. But I do think it has a lot of merit so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV