U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 10:19 AM

43,564 posts, read 52,720,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I donít recognize this world I live in. Now everyone is in trouble for everything they say or do or even things they said or did years ago. It didnít used to be that people were castigated for every misstep they took. Itís like people are just waiting for someone to do or say something so the mob can attack. We teach kids not to bully, but adults bully everyone who voices an opinion that differs from theirs. Everyone is ready to attack.

I am not saying what Roseanne said was OK. But why was it OK for people to call George W. Bush ďchimp?Ē Because heís not black it was OK to call him that? People make mean comments constantly about Trumpís appearance and everything else about him. Saturday Night Live makes fun of everyone. Thatís what comedians do. I guess I donít see why it is OK in some instances and not in others.

Oliver McGee PhD MBAís tweet:

ďIím a black man and I stand with @therealroseanne! Yes, she made a horrible joke and she apologized.

I see comedians, actors, etc make the same jokes and get applauded for it. This is outrageous.Ē
The George Bush thing WAS NOT OK.
It is NEVER ok.
If you were so untalented and stupid that you have to make jokes by just insulting everyone, then maybe you should find another line of work.

What's changed? We are tired of this unnecessary, unfunny rudeness.

I have always been against political correctness or "everything is hate speech" or "everyone is offended" about every damn thing.

But out and out disgusting crap that does not need to be said is another thing and I'm glad it is no longer being blithely accepted.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:20 AM

7,257 posts, read 8,659,196 times
This is not a conservative issue. Racism is not a plank endorsed by any mainstream political party. It is abhorrent to everyone who believes in equality, which, if they support the US Constitution, should.

This is a bad human issue..someone who is bigoted and racist. No (mainstream) party wants to embrace that.

It has nothing to do with Roseanne's politics and who she supports--she supported Trump long before this reboot of the show, which was spearheaded and organized by Sara Gilbert, ever was a thought. ABC knew her support of Trump, so that wasn't and isn't the issue. She has a history of some rather untethered rants and diatribes. She's not the most emotionally stable person.

If you want to hold racist beliefs, that's your right. However, if you are a member of an organization or employed by an organization or corporation and you say or write comments that are clearly against the standards or morals of any organization you are a member or employee of, then you should expect there to be fallout up to and including termination. That anyone doesn't get this is kind of unbelievable.

It's not about being snowflakes. NO ONE in any mainstream political party claims to tolerate or embrace racism. So stop conflating the two. This is about racism, not "politics."

Old 05-30-2018, 10:21 AM

13,050 posts, read 15,409,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Here's the difference. President are not "spokesman" the Presidency is not a positiin that comes with a brand. The Presidency is a position in itself lends to criticism.

Disney/ABC are for profit entities. She represents them.

And there was plenty of outrage when that insult came to President Bush. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Dixie chicks said they were ashamed of this country and they pretty much haven't worked since
I listed presidents as an example. But the women on The View insult people all the time with no repercussions. There is definitely a double standard.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:25 AM

43,564 posts, read 52,720,164 times
Quote:
I listed presidents as an example. But the women on The View insult people all the time with no repercussions. There is definitely a double standard.
Those women are ridiculous and out of line. I agree 100%.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:32 AM

9,213 posts, read 9,286,664 times
Quote:
I don’t recognize this world I live in. Now everyone is in trouble for everything they say or do or even things they said or did years ago. It didn’t used to be that people were castigated for every misstep they took. It’s like people are just waiting for someone to do or say something so the mob can attack. We teach kids not to bully, but adults bully everyone who voices an opinion that differs from theirs. Everyone is ready to attack.

I am not saying what Roseanne said was OK. But why was it OK for people to call George W. Bush “chimp?” Because he’s not black it was OK to call him that? People make mean comments constantly about Trump’s appearance and everything else about him. Saturday Night Live makes fun of everyone. That’s what comedians do. I guess I don’t see why it is OK in some instances and not in others.

Oliver McGee PhD MBA’s tweet:

“I’m a black man and I stand with @therealroseanne! Yes, she made a horrible joke and she apologized.

I see comedians, actors, etc make the same jokes and get applauded for it. This is outrageous.”
You're dodging the issue. Plus, your doing something else. Take a look at Roseanne's tweet. Tell me honestly how comfortable you are with someone comparing black people to apes. If you answer that you are not uncomfortable with that, I'd encourage you to take a long hard look at yourself. If, like most of us, you do find the comments offensive than try to understand that more than political correctness is involved here. There is something called basic human decency. Basic human decency does not allow us to gloss over the actions of a person when they are clearly bigoted, prejudiced, or hateful. When that person is famous than there have to be consequences for those actions. ABC did the only thing it could do in Roseanne's case.

I wish people would stop comparing this to a "misstep". A misstep is when someone tells a joke that he/she does not realize disparages a group. Later, when it is called to their attention they realize that and make an unequivocal apology. A misstep is the use of one word in a conversation with someone. People shouldn't do it, but I make allowances for that sort of thing.

It isn't a minor mistake. These actions show hatred and bigotry.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-30-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-30-2018, 10:36 AM

2,829 posts, read 1,415,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The George Bush thing WAS NOT OK.
It is NEVER ok.
If you were so untalented and stupid that you have to make jokes by just insulting everyone, then maybe you should find another line of work.

What's changed? We are tired of this unnecessary, unfunny rudeness.

I have always been against political correctness or "everything is hate speech" or "everyone is offended" about every damn thing.

But out and out disgusting crap that does not need to be said is another thing and I'm glad it is no longer being blithely accepted.
Yeah, it's amazing on what some people's idea of what is funny!

Some people loved what Kathy Griffin did on cutting off Trump's head. Insults and hate speech are so not funny.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,357,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
This is not a conservative issue. Racism is not a plank endorsed by any mainstream political party. It is abhorrent to everyone who believes in equality, which, if they support the US Constitution, should.

This is a bad human issue..someone who is bigoted and racist. No (mainstream) party wants to embrace that.

It has nothing to do with Roseanne's politics and who she supports--she supported Trump long before this reboot of the show, which was spearheaded and organized by Sara Gilbert, ever was a thought. ABC knew her support of Trump, so that wasn't and isn't the issue. She has a history of some rather untethered rants and diatribes. She's not the most emotionally stable person.

If you want to hold racist beliefs, that's your right. However, if you are a member of an organization or employed by an organization or corporation and you say or write comments that are clearly against the standards or morals of any organization you are a member or employee of, then you should expect there to be fallout up to and including termination. That anyone doesn't get this is kind of unbelievable.

It's not about being snowflakes. NO ONE in any mainstream political party claims to tolerate or embrace racism. So stop conflating the two. This is about racism, not "politics."

But it can be about an emotional knee-jerk reaction that just put a lot of people out of a job.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 AM

12,666 posts, read 7,572,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
If we can't apologize for our mistakes and learn by them, as she has to do. Then isn't society part of the self righteous judgemental society we seem to live in today. .
Except she didn't really apologize, at least not sincerely.

She said she was sorry, and then a few hours later started posting more racist lies about Jarrett, deleted those posts, apologized again, and continued posting racist tweets to her timeline. No doubt she'll apologize again and just continue.

Cause hey, as long as she apologizes, all is forgiven, right?! Who cares that she just does it again and again and again and...

Old 05-30-2018, 11:21 AM

7,257 posts, read 8,659,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
But it can be about an emotional knee-jerk reaction that just put a lot of people out of a job.
I'm not happy that ABC 86'd the entire show and I wish they had thought that one through longer. I know why they did what they did, but I like the other characters and wish I could see more of them (and I bet I'm not the only one who feels that way).

Old 05-30-2018, 11:22 AM

12,666 posts, read 7,572,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Sheesh! Give her some benefit of the doubt. She was obviously raised in the kind of lower working class situation like the characters on her show. Some of that racism is going to be ingrained into her mind from a young and impressionable age. She didn't get the benefit of being raised the ways others have.
Roseanne is 65 years old. I don't care if she was raised by Hitler himself, she has had 65 years to learn how to behave appropriately. Her actions cannot be blamed on her childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV