Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 07:23 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
She didn't compare ALL Black people in general with simians. She said Valerie Jarett looked like an ape mixed with someone from the Muslim brotherhood.

Why are so many of you generalizing? It would be completely different if she had said that ALL Black people look like that. She didn't. She was specific to one person.

George W Bush looks like a chimp IMHO. Obama has giant nutcracker teeth IMHO. Roseanne doesn't like a specific woman and said she looked like an ape.

Not racist.

She compared a black woman to an ape. It IS racist.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
I wonder if ABC will have to pay her to go away if she sues them.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I wonder if ABC will have to pay her to go away if she sues them.

What would she sue them for? ABC owns the rights to the show.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:14 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
actually, they should not have taken her show off and fired her, it wasnt all the other cast mates fault, and her calling someone names or making fun of thier looks really has nothing to do with her "job performance"

really, so she called some chick an "ape"............really??,

to go to this extreme, and make all the other actors, producers, etc suffer, that was not fair.

Personally, I dont think it was that big a deal. someone got called a name, oh boo hoo hoo

look what all the people say and do to OUR President in our own country, that is shameful, as a nation were divided, and people make fun of the President of our country, the president!!! that is and should be unacceptable.

and because she called someone an ape? on twitter no less.

give me a break.

--------------------but then on the other side of the equasion, people in "such" positions really should keep thier mouths shut and keep thier comments to themselves,

and that INCLUDES our president "tweeting"....
Presidents of the USA have been lampooned since the start of our country. Have you not seen the caricatures and cartoons from the 18th and 19th centuries published in newspapers? All kinds of insults have been written about the presidents, including John Adams and Abraham Lincoln in newspaper articles. Prior to that, the European aristocracy was lampooned in literature, plays, and operas. Electronic media is the 21st century version of the same type of criticism. Lincoln, especially, was called a demagogue, autocrat, dictator with insulting terms just like Trump, by northerners and union supporters.

Roseanne could have just insulted that woman individually, but instead she insulted an entire race. Same as calling Italians "organ grinders"or Mexicans "wetbacks." It's pretty obvious that you are not a member of a minority community or have been subjected to a racial slur yourself to realize how bigotry can wound.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:15 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
What would she sue them for? ABC owns the rights to the show.
Corporations sometimes settle suits because they don’t like bad publicity.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Years ago, celebrities made statements through their publicists. The publicist would rephrase what the celebrity wanted to say. Sometimes, a celebrity would give an interview and say something stupid and then the publicist would appeal to the reporter or bribe the reporter or the publisher not to print it.

Famous people have huge egos and not everyone is the sharpest tool in the box. Just saying stuff without running it past someone else first is asking for trouble.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Corporations sometimes settle suits because they don’t like bad publicity.

ABC acted quickly and decisively in this matter. ABC smells like a rose. They're not going to incur any bad publicity over this.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:40 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,432,633 times
With all the publicity, I'm 100% confident that ABC is not going to let the opportunity go to waste and will revive the show somehow. If you watched the season finale last week, it ended with Roseanne afraid of having knee surgery for fear that she may not come out alive. Everything is in place. It almost feels intentional.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
With all the publicity, I'm 100% confident that ABC is not going to let the opportunity go to waste and will revive the show somehow. If you watched the season finale last week, it ended with Roseanne afraid of having knee surgery for fear that she may not come out alive. Everything is in place. It almost feels intentional.

Oh wow! I didn't watch the finale, so I didn't know about that! THAT'S an interesting thought! Wow...

Old 05-31-2018, 10:45 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
She compared a black woman to an ape. It IS racist.

I interperped (sp) it as she meant it for that paticular woman, not the whole entire race, maybe i mis read it.

i will have to re check.

but none the less, i feel bad that everyone else has to suffer because of this.
i know i would be pissed if a co worker of mine said something and made the company close down, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV