Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 06:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,198,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I agree. Sexual violence against women happens so depressingly often and it's not like they are glamorizing it. There's no nudity or soft lighting. The characters are in no way ambiguous about their lack of interest. It's part and parcel of the society of Gilead. I don't feel for a moment that it doesn't serve the narrative. I don't feel as though it's unrealistic in it's portrayal of what honestly happens during a rape- the detachment, the need to just get through it and survive. I say this as a woman who has been raped. I always think that the show gets it right.

I never understand why people feel the need to look away from a show like this. It's a safe way to create understanding about things that really do happen. Stories teach us about the world and this is truly just a powerful story. It could create empathy for the woman in the DRC or the families who had their kids ripped from them at the border. It could open up a channel of understanding that these things happen every single day even in places where people live comfortably.
Great post.

I agree about the detachment, going into your mind, escaping the flesh to just get through it as I've had to endure the same treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 08:23 AM

1,881 posts, read 2,248,857 times
Fred doesn't need to set up June and Nick. He could just shoot them and no one would question it.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:40 AM

4,006 posts, read 2,683,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Fred doesn't need to set up June and Nick. He could just shoot them and no one would question it.
Nick is a member of the Eyes, and Fred either knows that or heavily suspects it, so he does need to take a certain amount of caution with Nick, because he doesn't know who Nick has been talking to about what he (Fred) has been doing. He first tried to praise Nick to the skies and get him promoted to get him away, and got rebuffed. So if he can have Nick discredited, then nothing Nick says about Fred will count.

June might also be a bit tricky now as well, since she has shown she is useful to Gilead (by becoming pregnant), so they might be a bit more reluctant to throw her away just on Fred's say-so (especially since the bombing killed so many Handmaids that they brought some back from the Colonies). If Fred has a more solid reason, they might agree, however.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:40 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,695,001 times
Quote:
But what's the fun in that? They could also artificially inseminate the handmaids or do IVF or artificial insemination of the wives, but that's not very exciting or gratifying for the men. The entire premise is based on the men's pleasure. I don't think Fred would be satisfied with simply shooting June and Nick.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:55 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,457,276 times
Quote:
Um, no he can't.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:20 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,593,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
But what's the fun in that? They could also artificially inseminate the handmaids or do IVF or artificial insemination of the wives, but that's not very exciting or gratifying for the men. The entire premise is based on the men's pleasure. I don't think Fred would be satisfied with simply shooting June and Nick.
It's based on the man being dominant. But, it's actually heavily based on God/religion etc. I know we hear a lot of Praise Be and Under His Eye statements, but they don't really discuss religion in the show. But it is what drives them. They'd never artificially inseminate.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It's based on the man being dominant. But, it's actually heavily based on God/religion etc. I know we hear a lot of Praise Be and Under His Eye statements, but they don't really discuss religion in the show. But it is what drives them. They'd never artificially inseminate.
If memory serves, artificial insemination was deeply frowned upon in the novel's society. One because it was considered unnatural. Two, because it helped lesbians become mothers. Lesbianism was obviously frowned upon as well.

Much like the slave traders of yore, the leaders of Gilead pick and choose the parts of the Bible that "support" their atrocities and try to brainwash their victims into thinking the leadership is doing for their own good.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,695,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The commanders go to brothels that are specifically set up for their gratification and several of the men have affairs with their handmaids. They're not as godly as they want the others to think. They relied on "religion" to make their control palatable to the masses and to prevent a major uprising. It's exactly what some governments around the world do... think about our own government. Some of the leaders and representatives assault women, have affairs, steal money, use drugs, etc, but they still rely on "this is what God wants" in order to further their agendas. What's happening in The Handmaid's Tale is several steps ahead of that, of course, but they used their idea of religion to get people to agree in the first place. "God is punishing us and making the women infertile because the women have forgotten their place."

Old 06-23-2018, 09:44 AM

27,916 posts, read 29,770,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Much like the slave traders of yore, the leaders of Gilead pick and choose the parts of the Bible that "support" their atrocities and try to brainwash their victims into thinking the leadership is doing for their own good.
Much like a lot of people today.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Much like a lot of people today.
Very true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV