Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 02:33 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I agree with your summation. You don't bring someone as rebellious as Emily into your house if you are trying to keep dirty laundry hidden. I think he likes that Emily is that way.
I've convinced myself. 'You stole a CAR, you ran over a GUARDIAN. How did that feel?' with a glint in his eye. Yes, she is very useful for Mayday or whatever. I say, the good part has begun!

And, how many seasons can there be with this material? I won't watch endless hours of horror before Gilead finally falls, which we know for a fact it does. It's time to get this party started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 04:50 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I've convinced myself. 'You stole a CAR, you ran over a GUARDIAN. How did that feel?' with a glint in his eye. Yes, she is very useful for Mayday or whatever. I say, the good part has begun!

And, how many seasons can there be with this material? I won't watch endless hours of horror before Gilead finally falls, which we know for a fact it does. It's time to get this party started.
I agree with the bolded. That's why, upthread somewhere, I thought that the show could only be good for a total of 3 to 4 seasons.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:17 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:

I haven't convinced myself of anything.

My mother used to say "the biggest problem women face is that we love men far more than they can ever love us, and we don't understand that." This is demonstrated by Serena's position in Gilead, and even in a meta way here in this thread, how one charismatic actor can immediately have viewers jumping to the conclusion that he is a good guy. We WANT to believe in the "good man." So far this show has given us a few like Nick and Luke, but they are pretty ineffectual against the "bad men" who are architects of oppression.

I don't have any association with the actor who plays the new Commander. I saw "Get Out" but I barely recall that he was in it. So I am taking this in without a fan lens to see it through. What I viewed was at best ambiguous. I thought the fact that they close captioned "heavy breathing" when he was asking Emily if she had "healed" was certainly an indicator. They didn't want you to miss that. My thought? "Oh crap. He's going full Mengele on her. No wonder he has a Martha without an eye. He is a sadist." But that was me jumping to a conclusion.

Jury is out on this one for me. But think logically for a moment-- if Emily escapes, her story is done. They could have killed her off in the first season. Or even in the beginning of the second season. They are setting her up for more story. And she is a protagonist in the world of the show thus far. So what does she need? An antagonist foil. And who might that be?

Old 07-07-2018, 07:50 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
I found the combination of this show, 11-22-63, and Shut Eye (I fell asleep and woke up to Jeffrey Donovan's character's wife burning another woman's leg with a cigarette) so violent, I canceled my free hulu subscription nine days early. I don't have a problem with shows where the violence has mostly already happened, but I don't want to watch it unfold. I can't stand Criminal Minds; never had a problem with Homicide or any of the L&Os.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:24 AM

139 posts, read 68,285 times
Default We do not know if the Author had written an outline

or a sequel book and not published it. It may not entirely be written by committee! According to the description of book epilogue-author left the door open to write further books.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queerfaith View Post
or a sequel book and not published it. It may not entirely be written by committee! According to the description of book epilogue-author left the door open to write further books.
? Atwood is involved in the show. And with regards to the epilogue, technically there is 200 years for the show to go on, drawing out the detail.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

My mother used to say "the biggest problem women face is that we love men far more than they can ever love us, and we don't understand that." This is demonstrated by Serena's position in Gilead, and even in a meta way here in this thread, how one charismatic actor can immediately have viewers jumping to the conclusion that he is a good guy. We WANT to believe in the "good man." So far this show has given us a few like Nick and Luke, but they are pretty ineffectual against the "bad men" who are architects of oppression.

I don't have any association with the actor who plays the new Commander. I saw "Get Out" but I barely recall that he was in it. So I am taking this in without a fan lens to see it through. What I viewed was at best ambiguous. I thought the fact that they close captioned "heavy breathing" when he was asking Emily if she had "healed" was certainly an indicator. They didn't want you to miss that. My thought? "Oh crap. He's going full Mengele on her. No wonder he has a Martha without an eye. He is a sadist." But that was me jumping to a conclusion.

Jury is out on this one for me. But think logically for a moment-- if Emily escapes, her story is done. They could have killed her off in the first season. Or even in the beginning of the second season. They are setting her up for more story. And she is a protagonist in the world of the show thus far. So what does she need? An antagonist foil. And who might that be?
Lordy. I don't 'need a good man' nor am I fooled by the actor. In fact I expected him to be full on the most evil we have seen, which he might be, I am aware. I'm not sure what is wrong with hoping not, for me personally this is not a situation I want to wallow in forever. After 2 seasons, I am ready for the resistance to take center stage. Not that they care what I want, IJS.

I didn't even realize how sick I was of Serena and June and the rest of that household doing what seems like the same dance over and over until they switched over a bit to a new plot.

Yes, it was gross when he asked have you healed completely? And then slurped his beer like he was just salivating at the idea of poking her where it surely will be more painful than if she didn't have that terrible surgery.

I am aware, and stated such, that he could be a sadist. Wanting Emily because she presents more of a challenge than other more compliant handmaids, which would not be as fun for a sadist.

I saw a video that I have no idea is accurate. It says that she poisoned her last commander, and that is why he died trying to have sex with her, and that in a clip from season 3 they show Commander Lawrence dragging her to a ceremony with her screaming 'you're disgusting, I hate you.' If true, that would suggest that maybe he makes her believe that she is safe and then betrays her.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:06 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

I don't know the actor but based on how the Martha was quite cheeky to him (she obviously doesn't have any fear of him) and how he is deliberately letting a known trouble maker into his home I'm guessing he is somewhat different than the average Gilead man in power. He doesn't appear to be following the rules of Gilead to the letter. I'm betting he is unconventional and likes this in others i.e. Emily. He also keeps his wife there even though she is quite outspoken against him and she obviously shows disdain for Gilead so he doesn't appear to be hurting these women as they are not cowed in anyway.

I'd say the Martha didn't lose her eye in his home but most likely was rebellious like Emily before and was punished for this.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:20 AM

I think they are going to leave him a mystery until next year. He is a cliffhanger all by himself. I need to adjust my expectations for the finale. It won't be enough of his household for me! I really do not care what happens to Serena. They just dwelled too long on only that household for me. Part of the entire point of going 'beyond the book' was going beyond what could be seen through June's eyes.

I see looking around the net that tons of people are re-watching the parts with Lawrence and parsing every word, facial expression, etc. like us. Spinning theories.

One I haven't seen is it's not that he is 'good' now, but sees the writing on the wall. International condemnation. Being the architect, he would be a prime target for prosecution when Gilead falls. Maybe he wants out for his own sake.

Some think he had a child killed by Gilead and so he hates it now.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:18 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Lordy. I don't 'need a good man' nor am I fooled by the actor. In fact I expected him to be full on the most evil we have seen, which he might be, I am aware. I'm not sure what is wrong with hoping not, for me personally this is not a situation I want to wallow in forever. After 2 seasons, I am ready for the resistance to take center stage. Not that they care what I want, IJS.

I didn't even realize how sick I was of Serena and June and the rest of that household doing what seems like the same dance over and over until they switched over a bit to a new plot.

Yes, it was gross when he asked have you healed completely? And then slurped his beer like he was just salivating at the idea of poking her where it surely will be more painful than if she didn't have that terrible surgery.

I am aware, and stated such, that he could be a sadist. Wanting Emily because she presents more of a challenge than other more compliant handmaids, which would not be as fun for a sadist.

I saw a video that I have no idea is accurate. It says that she poisoned her last commander, and that is why he died trying to have sex with her, and that in a clip from season 3 they show Commander Lawrence dragging her to a ceremony with her screaming 'you're disgusting, I hate you.' If true, that would suggest that maybe he makes her believe that she is safe and then betrays her.

I also saw that clip and thought it was for this past week's episode (my husband was traveling and so I waited to watch it until yesterday, when he came home!). I would need to rewatch the clip, but was it Emily yelling, "you're disgusting, I hate you!"? Or was it his wife, who did scream just that as he pushed her into the bedroom? I'm wondering if I just assumed it was Emily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV