Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 07:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The fact that all these Marthas risked their lives to help June escape didn't even make sense to me. Why not try to free themselves, or any of the other handmaids or babies? Sure, June & Holly are special to us as *viewers,* but to all those Martha's, June is just one more Gilead prisoner.

Maybe it will be explained next season.
I think it's been pretty well established that people in Gilead are big softies for babies/motherhood. Like, consider how sweetly Rita treated June back in season one when she suspected June was pregnant, despite the fact that she otherwise clearly had zero friendly feelings toward "Offred."

I suspect the Marthas may see it as helping someone less fortunate than themselves, too. Of all the places to end up in Gilead as a woman, "Martha" seems like one of the less sucky roles, unless someone in your household is hurting you. Obviously they can't all run at once, so they probably prioritize women who are at risk of beings sent to the colonies or worse, who are being actively abused, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 07:47 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Am I the only one whose first thought after she handed over the baby was how was it going to eat?! She had just started to nurse when they got her whisked away. All she grabbed was some warm clothes. She was running with the baby so she didn't nurse it then. They may be in the truck several hours and I would think it would be imperative to keep the baby quiet (going through checkpoints or inspections) and if they have to stop, it could be a long time before the baby eats. Where are they going to casually stop and buy bottles and formula (and do they even HAVE formula in Gilead)? Not to mention, in a few hours, June will not be able to move when her boobs are blown up like hot, swollen, watermelons! Heck, she doesn't even have a fresh diaper or a dummy! So much in the last few minutes did not make sense.
Good points but I think manageable. The Marthas might have thought of it and got formula and bottles into the vehicle. Yes, they have formula. It was Lydia who insisted she should have mother's milk. June would manage her problem, she has managed worse.
I thought it was wired when Serena nursed that baby - THAT would have hurt!

Old 07-12-2018, 08:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I really wish I could watch this show
The animosity and religious persecution of women just do me in---a fear factor that grates on me with the current administration and shifting GOP's religious conservatism further right..

Old 07-12-2018, 10:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Good points but I think manageable. The Marthas might have thought of it and got formula and bottles into the vehicle. Yes, they have formula. It was Lydia who insisted she should have mother's milk. June would manage her problem, she has managed worse.
I thought it was wired when Serena nursed that baby - THAT would have hurt!
But they would have expected June, the food source, to be with her! There would have been no need for bottles. I can’t wait to see how this plays out.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:58 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I think the fact that she saw so many people willing to defy Gilead inspired her. It does appear to be breaking down with Serena and the wives even showing a bit of backbone. I also think that June doesn't want to leave her daughter behind in that sort of world and is willing to chance all to get her out. I do think Commander Lawrence will be involved and I noticed some sort of glimmer or stirring in June when she saw someone like Commander Lawrence involved in helping them escape.
She stared after him. Emily was yelling for her to get in the Van because June couldn't take her eyes off Lawrence. That may have been the final impetus for her to believe that more is possible, seeing a Commander involved in Mayday.

Either way, she is going to get Hannah out or die trying, that is what she decided. It's what she would want Luke to do as well. Before when she was able to get him a note it didn't ask to save her, it said save Hannah.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
Yes I am with you 100%.

I have processed and I didn't like the ending. It felt like the writers are keeping her in Gilead in the service of the story and not repeating a finale where she seems to escape rather than what she could actually realistically accomplish. We are expected to suspend disbelief that this ordinary (though smart, scrappy and resourceful) woman suddenly can live on her own in this society when ALL of the Guardians (and dogs...) will be looking for her and her baby when she has tried that before and failed? (Definition of insanity-- doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.) When she had HELP to do that and failed? Now she is on her own and now she can survive! Because suddenly she is a superhero? It doesn't make sense. It doesn't fit her character or the world that was built.

And another thing that keeps annoying me-- she tried to escape AFTER she saw Hannah. And Hannah rebuked her with "not trying hard enough" to find her. June was still on the path to get out. But now? No. She needs to stay. She knows that Hannah's family's summer house is an hour and a half away-- too far to walk. And for all she knows Hannah may not really want to come with her. After her meeting, they may have doubled down on the brainwashing. Seems like they would if Hannah was suddenly to ask questions about her real mom.

I will watch the premiere of next season to see if this one has really jumped the shark. If it has, its really too bad. I will enjoy watching all the episodes and end with "Holly." That is where the seams start to show for me.
I do not think she intends to try and live on the outskirts, somehow getting to Hannah and away by herself. I think she is going back to whatever the system will do with her and bide her time, as she has done before. I think that she made Hannah understand as well as a girl her age can.

As to in service of the story, sure, that too. How interested are we in Gilead with June gone? Not much, I don't think. They haven't developed any other characters for us to care about enough to keep watching.

I would not have liked June to leave. It would not be in keeping with her character. A mother would rather die herself than leave her daughter to that fate. Luke has not been able to do ANYthing from Canada, nor has Moira. If I were June I'd have no hope at all that I could either.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:41 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
But they would have expected June, the food source, to be with her! There would have been no need for bottles. I can’t wait to see how this plays out.
You are right about that.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:35 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
It's not really a long ride to Canada from where they are and if Emily and the baby are in a safe vehicle, it's not like they'll be on the run for a long time. Probably just a matter of a few hours.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:42 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,865 times
I LOVED this episode. It was every kind of emotion. I don't think June expects to ever get out of Gilead - that's how it came across to me - it felt like she knew she would never see Holly/Nicole again.
I think she is going to lay down her life to try to get Hannah out. I feel like in Season 1, we saw a kind of resigned to her fate June who just started to embrace the fight. Season 2 was the uprising of June with the ENORMOUS crushing of her spirit and this (for me) felt like it was ending with her rejecting the feeling of "just need to stay alive" and deciding that she was going to fight to the death to protect her won.

The woman that plays Serena is up for an Emmy for Best Supporting Actress and I feel that she deserves it. Serena has shown so many different emotions and you could see in her relationship with Fred prior to Gilead that she was the one who wore the pants. I imagine she thought she'd have so much more involvement. He became power happy. Was just listening to a Podcast about the Stanford Prison Experiment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanfo...son_experiment). These traits can be in all of us.

Glad I finally watched so I can discuss with you all!

Old 07-13-2018, 05:52 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I do not think she intends to try and live on the outskirts, somehow getting to Hannah and away by herself. I think she is going back to whatever the system will do with her and bide her time, as she has done before. I think that she made Hannah understand as well as a girl her age can.

She can't expect to just waltz into the Waterford's like nothing happened without receiving some horrible punishment. Is she going to claim somebody stole the baby and she was just running after them to try and bring her back? Serena knows what happened. The season 3 premiere should be interesting. It will also determine whether I will continue watching because if June does go back to the Waterford's I will be done with this show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV