Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just find it amusing how many posters here were convinced that it was Serena who'd turned Eden and her boyfriend in. Her comment about having "done it" for Nicole was clearly taken out of context when it was shown in the trailer for the final episode. I, for one, really didn't have any idea who might have turned the couple in, but I was never convinced that it was Serena. Man, that girl's parents (i.e. Eden's) were truly messed up!
Eden's father turned them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 05:51 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I was confused about the house burning. Was that the Lawrence's house? Did he set the fire to cover up the murder? Or was it just set by the resistance to create a distraction for June? Or to set some larger plan in motion? Or was it completely unrelated and they just took advantage of it?
I'm glad somebody asked that. That was the most confusing part of the entire episode for me.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:56 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Eden's father turned them in.
I know who turned her in. I watched the episode. I didn't guess that in advance, though. It came as a huge surprise to me. What I was saying was that in the trailer for the final episode, there was a scene in which Serena said, "I did it for Nicole" or "I did it for our child." Several posters on this thread assumed that "it" referred to turning Eden and her boyfriend in, which wasn't the case at all. The "it" Serena was referring to was the request she and the other women made to the council or whatever it was called that both boys and girls in Gilead be taught to read the Bible.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I was confused about the house burning. Was that the Lawrence's house? Did he set the fire to cover up the murder? Or was it just set by the resistance to create a distraction for June? Or to set some larger plan in motion? Or was it completely unrelated and they just took advantage of it?
First, don't assume that there was a murder. The last we saw of Aunt Lydia, she was still alive. Barely ... but alive.

I don't think there's any reason to believe that it was Lawrence's house that was on fire. I seem to remember thinking that it was more than one house, and it seems pretty safe to assume that it was a concerted and organized effort to cause a distraction for June and who knows who else? We only know about June and Emily ... who knows what other escapes occurred during that apparent distraction?

It couldn't have been a coincidence. There were too many people involved for them to just take advantage of a completely unrelated fire. There were Marthas in place and ready to play their part, Cmdr. Lawrence delivering Emily, the transport already scheduled ... it was all planned.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:43 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Of couse Eden could read and write. Did you miss the whole plot in the last episode about her bible?
The comment was made that she was TRYING to read the word of god...and I extrapolated from that that she couldn't read very well. I guess she was pious enough to know that reading the letters would be a sin so she didn't read them, but curious enough to think that maybe reading the word of god would be okay.

Nonetheless, she would had to have known they were contraband, and could have used them as leverage against Nick.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:53 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
First, don't assume that there was a murder. The last we saw of Aunt Lydia, she was still alive. Barely ... but alive.

I don't think there's any reason to believe that it was Lawrence's house that was on fire. I seem to remember thinking that it was more than one house, and it seems pretty safe to assume that it was a concerted and organized effort to cause a distraction for June and who knows who else? We only know about June and Emily ... who knows what other escapes occurred during that apparent distraction?

It couldn't have been a coincidence. There were too many people involved for them to just take advantage of a completely unrelated fire. There were Marthas in place and ready to play their part, Cmdr. Lawrence delivering Emily, the transport already scheduled ... it was all planned.
I considered the idea of multiple fires. And in light of the escape plan and Nick's possible knowledge/collusion with it, a mass arson breakout would be a good way to start and signal a revolution. But I looked pretty carefully at the overhead shot that showed the burning house. There was reflection of fire in the shiny end of an emergency vehicle. But if they wanted us to be sure that this was a larger event, they would have zoomed out to show multiple fires. By keeping it tight and leaving us speculating, we could share June and Emily's confusion and inability to trust the situation as being a viable escape plan or part of an escalation they should attempt to participate in.

And Commander Lawrence was not going to be able to just call in EMS and say he found Lydia at the bottom of the stairs and the handmaid was missing. I don't think he would be dumb enough to leave her alive, either. Smarter to blame his wife and/or burn the house down so that physical evidence of the crime, and also his part in it, and also his erotic art, would be destroyed. The Martha wouldn't tell, she's already lost an eye.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:05 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I didn't get the feeling that Commander Lawrence's place was near the Waterford's. Did you pick up on that somehow or is it just a hunch?

Old 07-16-2018, 08:15 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I didn't get the feeling that Commander Lawrence's place was near the Waterford's. Did you pick up on that somehow or is it just a hunch?
Given that Emily and June were seen shopping together and walking together, I'm going to guess that it's probably not *too* far away--whether June knows exactly where it is or not is another question, though.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:34 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Given that Emily and June were seen shopping together and walking together, I'm going to guess that it's probably not *too* far away--whether June knows exactly where it is or not is another question, though.
Have they been shopping together since Emily was reassigned? I do recall them walking with Janine and another handmaid ... I just can't remember if that was before or after she was reassigned. I feel like she hasn't left Lawrence's since she got there.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:33 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Have they been shopping together since Emily was reassigned? I do recall them walking with Janine and another handmaid ... I just can't remember if that was before or after she was reassigned. I feel like she hasn't left Lawrence's since she got there.
After--she was referring to how it was going to be her first Ceremony night in the new household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV