Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 08:07 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That one, too. And I don't think it fits in the mouth of anyone not from Compton even today.

These are just quips stuck in as too-obvious attempts at writer cleverness.

If it's not just my opinion, I'll post a link to someone else's opinion.

In this case:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/9/8...eview-lol-what
Compton really threw me because in my parents young adult years and almost my lifetime Compton was restricted and we couldn't live there or be in town after work hours. To have that be a thing 400 years in the future when the city is not even majority black today, 25 years after NWA was off. Imagine 400 years into the future. I guess Ice Cube and Dr Dre could have the same cultural relevance as Elvis seeing as the Captain knows his last words.

The rest I rolled with. The percentage of hit versus miss was high enough for me to be there Thursday night for more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That one, too. And I don't think it fits in the mouth of anyone not from Compton even today.

These are just quips stuck in as too-obvious attempts at writer cleverness.

If it's not just my opinion, I'll post a link to someone else's opinion.

In this case:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/9/8...eview-lol-what
Quote:
Every time The Orville starts to settle into something resembling a rhythm in its Trek replications, MacFarlane will spit out some reference to 20th-century pop culture — despite this show taking place [vague mumbling] years into the future — or some variation on “what a b**** my ex-wife is, amirite?”
Well, yes... That does look like it's Caroline Framke's opinion too. Also, what Caroline seems to not be getting is that if this show settles into something resembling a rhythm in its Trek replications too much... then it will actually be Star Trek.

Also, Framke seemed confused in the article about how she thinks the show should be when she said:

Quote:
It's almost impossible to know whether there are too many jokes in The Orville or too few, both because the show doesn’t seem at all confident in whether it should even be making jokes at all. . .
lol Almost impossible? Well, not to me. Because in my opinion, the show seems to be telling the right amount of jokes at the right time.

However, when I hear criticisms like that, it sounds to me like the person is basically saying that they don't like the show and that they don't like Seth MacFarlane either.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:23 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
I don't think McFarlane's brand of humor works applied to something he actually likes. It works much better applied to something he's trying to ridicule.

So in this case, everyone who says something McFarlane considers funny comes out sounding like a jerk--because that's what he's made a living making people sound like.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:08 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Compton really threw me because in my parents young adult years and almost my lifetime Compton was restricted and we couldn't live there or be in town after work hours. To have that be a thing 400 years in the future when the city is not even majority black today, 25 years after NWA was off. Imagine 400 years into the future. I guess Ice Cube and Dr Dre could have the same cultural relevance as Elvis seeing as the Captain knows his last words.

The rest I rolled with. The percentage of hit versus miss was high enough for me to be there Thursday night for more.
I think that it threw you because you used to live in Compton and knew the details of Compton. However, because I really don't know that much about Compton, I really didn't 'get' the joke. However, I did know that it was a 'black' joke, and that what LaMarr was saying was that the technologically advanced Calivon were showing favoritism to Isaac(the Orville's technologically advanced crew member), similar in the way that racism was once shown in our(the viewer's) time.

And yes, the joke was unexpected and anachronistic(and apparently an intentional anachronism), but it spoke to the situation at hand. And in my opinion, that's where the humor came in.

And speaking of opinions, I stumbled upon this interesting video where it looks like this guy 'gets' it. Or should I say that it looks like this guy 'likes' it(the show). (Also, at least watch the first 3 minutes of the video.)

The Orville - Episode 2 Review - Forget the Critics. This Show is Great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6WtF7xDubs

Last edited by William Taylor; 09-20-2017 at 09:17 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
You don't have to go back too far to find futuristic SF movies and TV shows that show computer screens totally in text display modes, some white on black and some (more advanced?) green on black. Some of these are set in time frames that have advanced far past what they depict.

They were good shows back then, but now they are very dated, and don't come off so futuristic any more. It shows that, if you want to have any chance of making a classic that lasts over time, you may want to avoid showing any technology related to the time it is being made. Make a good guess for way in the future.

Star Trek had people hidden in the walls to open (and close) the doors as cast members approached them. That was a good guess!

Old 09-21-2017, 06:35 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I thought the series could do without the comedy ,its sci-fi in the genre of Star trek if you want comedy theres better shows to satiate that need, as for Braga? whats the story behind your implied negativity toward this producer?
After the first two episodes, I agree. The overly silly I ignored in the first one. The sniping between the exes actually seems to work. Especially that they have to keep it down, but there's still care there. Been there, and its good if you can do it.

The theme of the second episode was clearly NOT silly, though it was on the surface. But that last part where the captain and ex wife seem to be sitting in their cage talking as if everything was *normal*, that really worked well. It implied that enough time had gone by that they were involuntarily adjusting. And the story of the young woman who got stuck with command was well done. The light spots were done well too, not getting in the way of the rest.

And yes, this DOES feel like a good fanfic production. But then some of the very best trek I've ever read was all fanfic, especially alternate histories and exploring the dark places. I wrote/still extending the story of the Federation's losing to the Dominion, but taking clues from real life people's stories and how they coped as the survivors make peace with their new life and managed.
(and learned to copy ALL files to disc... Yes, your laptop can die and take the hardrive with it....)

I see plenty of fanfic content in the last episode too. Should be interesting. Will be checking our fanfic.net.

I'm so glad its doesn't have to lose to *sports* now too.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Picard and his former wife?
Who the heck is that?

Re: Orville
I don't understand why in 2017 the special effects had to be so goofy.
That is killing it for me more than the characters or cheap jokes.
But I am a sucker for space travel, so it'll get another chance.
Beverly Crusher. They may not have married, but had been engaged, and they knew each other very personally. There were some concerns on the ship when she was assigned.

I think the really realistic sf fx is becoming so commonplace that people notice it less and less, and going classic retro stands out when you want it to.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I thought Voyager had a great premise: Two groups of people who hate each other are forced to work together. The problem is that the show forgot this in episode 2. They set up the premise in episode 1, but then everyone was getting along all hunky dory by episode 2. I think I watched 4 episodes before I gave up. It was just a pale NextGen clone with less interesting stories.

And I know I'm in the minority, but I quite liked Enterprise. Besides the good stories, I enjoyed the relatively low tech approach. As much as I enjoyed NextGen, even on that show by the later seasons their tech had advanced so far that society was bordering on magic. Any time they encountered a problem, all they had to do was reconfigure the technobabble array to emit a stream pseudo-scientific particles.
I missed most of Enterprise at the start, and since it had a lot of stories running, I was going to wait. I've seen some of them but I did like the show a lot. What I especially liked is this was the generation who's family had survived the near end of live on Earth, and they still carry the scars. They dreamed, but it was still heavily influenced by the past. TNG was about the time later, when they had forgotten, and in time as DS9 arrived would learn what their ancestors knew, and a war detailed in great sweeps and small changes and the unspoken fear they'd lose. If only they'd followed the postwar world as presented in the books, which are considered cannon too. But it told a story of a civilization.

Voyager was out there sailing through its own problems, and it kind of left it on the last page of the newspaper. It's too bad. They ran the whole series over a couple of nights recently and I watched most of them. They were much better than remembered. If it had been earlier, it would have had a lot more interest.

Orville kind of fits somewhere between Tos and Enterprise, 'time' wise, which should make it interesting.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:58 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Well, episode three had a simple but decent plot that could have gone either TNG or Babylon 5, and it went Babylon 5...to it's great credit.

But the ax-grinding was 'way too obvious.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 09-21-2017 at 09:17 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 04:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Great episode 3, they took what could have been a very mundane plot and turned it into a thoroughly entertaining episode. well done.
Now we wait for the new StarTrek series on Sunday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV