U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:23 PM

10,667 posts, read 11,755,539 times

Advertisements

Just watched this and loved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 07:21 AM

3,168 posts, read 3,858,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I loved the first, second, fifth, and sixth stories. The first had the most hilarious death scene I have ever seen in a movie. I laughed for twenty minutes after.
I assume you are talking about the "suicide" scene? That was great, as well as the final line in the 2nd story. I didn't care for the fifth one, but found the last humorous, at times.

Quote:
The third and fourth stories I found a bit underwhelming, which was really disappointing because those were the ones with Liam Neeson and Tom Waits, both of whom I love.
While the first story was great, I thought it went downhill from there. If you score each episode equally, I give it a -1 (+1 for stories #1 and #2, +0.5 for #6, minus 1 for the others)

Old 11-24-2018, 06:45 PM

15,201 posts, read 19,849,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I assume you are talking about the "suicide" scene?
I wouldn't call it a suicide. I'm talking about his scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Q0ZEmLosVXE

Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

18,284 posts, read 10,025,337 times
Quote:
If you noticed, the poker hand Buster piked up was Wild Bill Hickok's "Aces and Eights"--the Dead Man's Hand.

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

18,284 posts, read 10,025,337 times
Quote:
I assume you are talking about the "suicide" scene? That was great, as well as the final line in the 2nd story. I didn't care for the fifth one, but found the last humorous, at times.

While the first story was great, I thought it went downhill from there. If you score each episode equally, I give it a -1 (+1 for stories #1 and #2, +0.5 for #6, minus 1 for the others)

I thought the first had some funny moments, particularly that "suicide" scene.

And I did get a chuckle in the second vignette at "First time?"

But, yeah, downhill after that. "Life is nothing but being screwed until you die."

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

11,111 posts, read 6,305,619 times
Meal ticket was my favorite of the 6 stories and the one I thought about for several days.

"meal ticket", a forlorn limbless man cared for by a businessman, recites passionate, impactful words like Shelley’s poem “Ozymandias” and the Declaration of Independence for an audience, but the paying crowd is uninterested in watching his recitations. Instead, they chose to spend their entertainment money on a chicken who seemed to do math owned by another businessman.

Just like today, audiences prefer the Kardashians and dancing with the stars to Masterpiece Theater. entertainment executives today prefer making lucrative superhero movies to great films. Hollywood has replaced beauty with chickens that can count.

I really liked this coen brothers film and recommend it.

Last edited by texan2yankee; Yesterday at 08:06 PM..

Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

19,557 posts, read 13,193,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Too bad Jessica Tandy passed away I could see her in this role . I m sure there are some ladies in Albuquerque that will fit the bill . But some reason Jessica Tandy came to my mind . im sure there are some older actresses that would fit this bill as well or they will have to hire a makeup artist for maybe an actress 70+ .
It was a non-speaking part. Jessica would have been wasted in it.

The character cracked me up; old Grandma Turner is also a character in True Grit.
Some of the actors in other, earlier Cohen films are in this one, portraying similar characters to their old roles.

The bank teller was one, and he cracked me up too- he played the blind radio station owner in Oh, Brother! Where Art Thou? where he was just as funny as in Buster Scruggs.

The Cohens definitely have their thing going. They have always skated very thin ice between comedy, horror, and tragedy in their best movies, and are getting better at it with every picture. I came away with a feeling that they were trying to stretch their limits to the boundaries in a couple of the episodes.

If you like Cohen brothers movies, you'll like this one. If you don't, you won't.

Old Today, 12:17 PM

3,168 posts, read 3,858,795 times
Quote:

Later in the scene, when another guy complained about Buster killing his brother, Buster said something like "It was really more of a suicide".

Old Today, 12:26 PM

3,457 posts, read 1,179,624 times
Quote:
Later in the scene, when another guy complained about Buster killing his brother, Buster said something like "It was really more of a suicide".
I think the gist is the Western trope of the black hat no one survives meeting face to face, inverted because Buster is a white-hat, genial, smiling, singing version.

Old Today, 12:57 PM

4,963 posts, read 2,040,183 times
It was very dark, like all Coen bros films, but wow - this was super dark. The right mind-set going in probably helps. It's beautifully filmed and acted. I enjoyed it but it definitely dragged a bit towards the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV