Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 PM

680 posts, read 534,542 times

Advertisements

I don't feel like it's good value for what they offer. Video music channels rarely play music. Cable news networks are extremely biased, and it doesn't represent what's going on in the world. Just 99% arguing over politics, hosting guests that support their side. How are they still in business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 05:22 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,944 times
I gave it up a few years ago due to the cost and lack of programming I was interested in. Would have given it up a year or two sooner if not for sports, which by the way were on AT&T's U-verse 300 for what I wanted, my Detroit Red Wings & Tigers. Finally got fed up and cut the cord. Already had a Roku 3 and purchased a decent indoor antenna (an amplified Mohu Leaf Ultimate. Has worked out great, don't miss cable at all.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:01 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I don't feel like it's good value for what they offer. Video music channels rarely play music. Cable news networks are extremely biased, and it doesn't represent what's going on in the world. Just 99% arguing over politics, hosting guests that support their side. How are they still in business?
Did you come here to honestly ask the question, or just give us your answer?

If it's not worth it, then don't pay for it.

Some of us watch a lot of TV, and like the options cable gives us. I have Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I like TV, and I like variety and choice. It's worth it to ME, and provides value. YMMV.

And the news isn't as biased as you think. Depends on the channel. Many people look to the news channels to reinforce what they already believe, and when they see something they don't like being reported, they call it bias. It's not bias, it's truth in reporting.

I'll leave you with this George Orwell quote:

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.”

Old 11-22-2018, 07:13 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

Some of us watch a lot of TV, and like the options cable gives us. I have Comcast, DirecTV, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I like TV, and I like variety and choice. It's worth it to ME, and provides value. YMMV.

And the news isn't as biased as you think. Depends on the channel. Many people look to the news channels to reinforce what they already believe, and when they see something they don't like being reported, they call it bias. It's not bias, it's truth in reporting.

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.”
Actually, it is very biased. I've watched NBC Nightly News since I was a little kid. Unfortunately, anchors & reporters don't give us the news in an honest way like they did back when John Chancellor was anchor at NBC. Today whether it's cable news or the big three of NBC, ABC & CBS, they are out to brainwash viewers. Print media has gone to the left-wing loons as well. I've been absolutely disgusted with NBC Nightly News during these post-Chancellor years. A long time, and its steadily gotten worse, they don't even pretend to be unbiased any longer.

And I'll leave you with this: This is a better discussion to be had in the Politics & Other Controversies forum.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:31 AM

2,893 posts, read 2,141,584 times
then i suggest you don't get cable.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:50 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Take the politics to P&OC, would ya? Contain that sewage to one forum.

For the OP, "tv" isn't worth the expense to me. I stopped with cable/sat in 2011, tried hulu for a few months and dropped that. Have access to netflix and prime (I don't pay for them) but don't use them. Generally speaking, our physical TV is on about 2~3 hours a week and playing physical media (DVD) that we own.

Given the lack of use, there is no expense that's worth it. Go anywhere with TV playing and it's like running a cheese grater across my nerves.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:37 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

We have disagreed about things in this forum in the past but you are spot on here. I watch a TON of tv. The stupid amount of money I spend on it each month is worth it to me.

To someone else it may not be.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:52 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
If it's not what you want get rid of it (or, don't buy it)

Old 11-25-2018, 09:25 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i get my internet through cable, if i had a better way, they be gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV